C'mon guys. The SE530 Appreciation Thread. Triple Fi owners welcome
May 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #167 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JMCIII, I wonder what is this "new 180 gig iPod" you have in your sign? Isn't it 160 gigs?

Say what? Better look again.

OK, you caught me. Fixed it. But I made you think there didn't I?

Thanks,

May 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #169 of 228
I transitioned from UM1s a couple weeks ago and I've been enjoying the new SE530s. I had only a short period of getting used to the slightly different fit but all is well now. I wear them nearly 8 hours a day at work and recently seven days a week. I find them to be more detailed and broader than the UM1s. I have a difficult time explaining what I hear differently but I do like them and I'm glad I stopped waiting around for the "UM3s."

May 20, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #170 of 228
Just like to add my bit of appreciation. Bought these babies after trying out both the Super.Fi 5 Pro's and SE310, I'll just re-post my story.

---

I recently purchased both the Super.Fi 5 Pro's and the Shure SE310's, with the intention of giving one to my fiancee, keeping one for myself. I upgraded from a pair of Etymotic ER6i's (which I absolutely loved!). Anyway, I thought I'd prefer the Super.Fi 5 Pro's, but ended up preferring the SE310's. There was no clear cut winner, there were elements of the 5 pro's I preferred, and elements of the SE310, but ultimately, I preferred the more neutral or flat sound of the SE310's, and disliked the fit and ear tips of the 5 pro's. I just could never get close to as good a fit with any of the 5 Pro tips as the Shure black foams.

Here's how I'd break them down. let it be known, that I am not in the slightest bit an audiophille expert, quite the n00b in this regard. So take musical language with leniency. I don't even know if what I heard/described is "accurate", but this was my opinion.

---

Super.Fi Pro 5.

More layers of sound
Much more colourful and vibrant sound if a little aggressive
Slightly more obtuse base, perhaps a little overpowering at times
More defined highs than the SE310
Seems to handle drum and bass better due to the dual drive, variations of drum beats more pronounced
Ear tip fit can be a little fussy, doesn't have as good a seal as the Shure's
Cables and around the ear fit can also be a bit fidgety and messy what with thicker cables, wired cabling and bigger phones

Shure SE310.

More neutral (perhaps flat) sound across the board.
More accurate levels across the board if a little timid, bass not quite as forceful
More comfortable phones with less fuss with both wires and ear tips which fit very well
Ear tips less fussy, softer and more comfortable
Build quality not as good, with lighter phones and thinner cables
Seems to favour harmonious sounds due to more pulled back and levelled sound stage
Better variation of extra ear tips

---

My fiancee decided in ear phones weren't for her, so I decided returning the 5 pro's and kept the SE310's because they suited my taste more.

It's because of this, that I ordered the SE530's yesterday (they should arrive today). Bad case of upgraditus. The reason I did so was because I wanted the extra layers of sound I hope the 530's will offer, but with the same kind of humility and modesty the SE310's possess. Did I make the right choice by going with the SE530 instead of the Triple.Fi's 10 Pro? Especially if I don't get along with the fit and ergonomics of the Super.Fi 5 pro's? From what I can gather, the Triple.Fi's are almost identical to the Super.Fi's in fit and design.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

^^^At which point I went ahead with the SE530 order.

---

Ok, so just been testing my new SE530's! So far I'm really impressed. It's not a vast difference to the SE310's, but it's a marked one that's easily noticeable. The sound with the 530's in much fuller, more layered (which is exactly what I wanted) and the base is much more responsive and detailed. As are the mids, which really stand out. Without comparing them to the Triple.Fi's I'd say the sound I'm getting from the SE530's is perfectly suited to my tastes. It's pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for in regards to vibrancy and colour. Not over the top, but not too pulled back that they sound a little lifeless.

I'd say Shure got the balance spot on. Here are some pics before I do further testing.

---

se5301.jpg

se5302.jpg

se5303.jpg

se5305.jpg

se5304.jpg

---

As you can probably guess, I'm really loving these phones so far!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #173 of 228
Quote:

Out of curiosity, which do people prefer, the new Shure black foams, or the Comply foam tips?

I would also be interested to know this. Still experimenting with the ones in the box.

May 22, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #174 of 228
Lol, all my mini reviews all over the net must have led to increased sales of the SE530's on Amazon because they just upped their price by £20 lol.

Also noticed my mini review on Mobile review managed to make it on the second page of Google search when I was browsing for info about the SE530's lol.

May 26, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #175 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadfolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also be interested to know this. Still experimenting with the ones in the box.

I've lost the link now, but I found a discussion on another forum where somebody had compared the comply tips to the black foams, and ended up preferring the black foams. He said they were more comfortable, and had more springy retention. You had to wait longer for the complys to fill. He also mentioned that the Comply's got dirty easier.

So for now I'd save that money. I'll try and dig out the link. I thought I'd bookmarked it!

May 26, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #177 of 228
Quote:

tipsju2.jpg

ARE ALL THOSE RED CIRCLED TIPS THE BLACK OLIVES (PA910)?

Yes indeed, they are. They come in small, medium (default) and large sizes. Each tip is marked at the base with either one dot, two dots or three dots to symbolise what size it is. I find the regular one's fit best, almost perfectly. They go on quick and easy, and once they're in you barely feel they are. Funny thing is, when I take them out, I can see dents in the tips where the contours of my ear canals dip and cave and have shaped them accordingly. So it's a good thing these foam tips mould, otherwise I'd have the same comfort issues I have had with other tips in the past.

May 26, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #179 of 228
Quote:

cool
Naim, how would you compare the SE530 to you Super.fi 5 pro?

I much prefer them. I actually prefer my SE310's to my Super.Fi 5 Pro's. The 5 Pro's are a little too colourful and vibrant for me. They don't sound accurate or realistic. They are a touch aggressive and while base is stronger, it's less detailed and slightly more loose. The SE310/SE530 are more dialled back and focused (the SE530's a lot fuller and rich across the board). The 5 pro's in regards to the SE530's? I think the SE530 are better in pretty much every single way. And importantly, they are a lot more comfortable too.

Here was a thread I made comparing the SE310 to the Super.Fi 5 pro's. And the SE530's to the SE310's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/if-...ro-10s-327127/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back