CLOSED
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 313
Cannot find any info about X1....

1623568018022.png

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #18 of 313
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #19 of 313
This is going to make it into the Guinness World Records for the Most Audio Adapter Dongles Tested and Shared by a Single Person~!

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 313
Tha ks for doing these tests

I tested L&P W2 against THX Onyx. With Empire Ears Nemesis iems & iPhone 12 Pro Max

First day I thought W2 was a keeper, 2nd day I realised that I liked the THX sound better, finding the W2's high frequency extension just slightly too "surgical' compared to the 'polished sheen' the Onyx gives.

I found volume changing taking place via my phone (Onyx) way more intuitive than having to do it on the dongle (W2)

Also the simplistic, sleek and seemingly bullet proof design of the THX seemed more likely to survive long term, rough treatment in my pockets. (Next to keys and other items).

Finally, I really like the way it looks. It gets a little warm but that's not a problem. Battery use seems ok. (It works fine with iphone set to "low battery")

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 313
Too Bad W2 won't be here. I was told it sucks up 15% back up time in about 60 mins. (from a 5k ma battery). Probably the best sounding, but we won't know for sure...
Yes I wish W2 be here too.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 313
Yes I wish W2 be here too.
For now @OspreyAndy 's epic thread reviews is more, more than enough...
1623571786224.png

I tested L&P W2 against THX Onyx. With Empire Ears Nemesis iems & iPhone 12 Pro Max

First day I thought W2 was a keeper, 2nd day I realised that I liked the THX sound better, finding the W2 just slightly too "surgical' compared to the deluxe polished 'sheen' the Onyx gives

I found volume changing taking place via my phone (Onyx) more intuitive than having to do it on the dongle (W2)

Also the simplistic, sleek and seemingly bullet proof design of the THX seemed more likely to survive long term, rough treatment in my pockets. (Next to keys and other items).
I really like the way it looks. It gets a little warm but that's not a problem. Battery use seems ok. (It works fine with iphone set to "low battery")

Highly recommended.
and big thanks to @Pro-Jules chiming in. This is very significant since its more than a day test for otg wearability and effectiveness of ui...

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #23 of 313

First day I thought W2 was a keeper, 2nd day I realised that I liked the THX sound better, finding the W2 just slightly too "surgical' compared to the deluxe polished 'sheen' the Onyx gives

I found volume changing taking place via my phone (Onyx) more intuitive than having to do it on the dongle (W2)

I really like the way it looks. It gets a little warm but that's not a problem. Battery use seems ok. (It works fine with iphone set to "low battery")

Highly recommended.
And I echo your impressions. If I may say this, the Questyle M12 exhibited that super analytical and "surgical" technical prowess that would appeal to some. However the IEMs/Headphones that I use are all designated as highly resolving by nature and pairing it with M12 makes them slightly overbearing with the sheen as you described. And because of this I personally regard the likes of PAW S1, PEE51, Onyx and Ovidius B1 as the more preferred choice as they were able to retain that much needed musical smoothness while remaining highly technical

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #24 of 313
Yes, (attractive) music smoothness (Onyx) good description.

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #26 of 313
Will you consider e1da 9038s to your next test?

Jun 13, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #29 of 313
Looks like this going to be a really good topic, thank you for your efforts.

I wonder what do you think about these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002226021176.html

It says it has an opa1622 op-amp along with CS43131 dac. I ordered it 10 days ago but not received it yet. Also is there a way to know what chips actually used without opening it?
It would be very likely on par with JCally JM20. CS43131 tend to exhibit that strong trait of being sparkly and resolving. But tone wise there may be differences. It is a good DAC chip so only a messed up implementation will really screw it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back