Closed/Non-Leaking Headphones for Jazz
Jul 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiotodd the Beyer DT880 (250 ohm circa 2003) or the Denon D2000/5000 will serve you well for jazz. Of course they are quite different the first being open and the second closed. Perhaps you could attend a meet to listen to both, which BTW need an amp IMO to extract the best from each. Good luck.

God I hate this hobby. Why can it never be easy?
icon10.gif

It seems that the two phones you mentioned will probably sound the best but may leak. Could someone comment on the severity of this leakage? Also, how do they compare to the DT770 600 ohm and the K271?

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the SRH840 sounds much better then the D2000 for Jazz and acoustic..

The bass is not bloated like the Denon, the mids are more forward in a good way and treble is clearer, never harsh and has more detail..

I think the Shure is playing in a other league here..

Anyone know what the impedance on the Shure is? I assume its low.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 24
Also, Quinto, any thoughts on how those Shure SRH840 compare to the other phones like the DT880 or DT770? I hadn't even thought about them until now but they are much cheaper than I thought and have lots of nice looking features.

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotodd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God I hate this hobby. Why can it never be easy?
icon10.gif

It seems that the two phones you mentioned will probably sound the best but may leak. Could someone comment on the severity of this leakage? Also, how do they compare to the DT770 600 ohm and the K271?

The DT880 leak like an open can, the denon's leak substantially for being closed. The 880's 600ohm are superb for jazz, Ive never liked the denons, to boomy for my taste.

the k271 is more analytical, clinical than the dt770 600ohm, I would say that they suck out liveliness from music and add a technical rendering, some may prefer this.... This two cans are the only ones I know that dont leak to much, Ive never heard the shure's, im curious...

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotodd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Quinto, any thoughts on how those Shure SRH840 compare to the other phones like the DT880 or DT770? I hadn't even thought about them until now but they are much cheaper than I thought and have lots of nice looking features.

I haven't heard the DT880 or DT770 so I can't help you here

I'm listening to Jazz right now (Lenny Breau) on the Shure....MAN, I tell you, you should really try these
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #22 of 24
None of these headphones have tons of users, here. If you can't audition them, you're just going to have to decide and take a risk. Just in case, make sure wherever you get it/them from has a good return policy.

You've got four choices, now, an worrying over them won't help you pick them any better than the replies and a little Head-fi searching will.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the k271 is more analytical, clinical than the dt770 600ohm, I would say that they suck out liveliness from music and add a technical rendering, some may prefer this....

Nope, the K271 is highly musical. A Stax or a "bad" exemplar of the K701 may be regarded as lifeless...

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #24 of 24
Any more thoughts? Can anyone verify that the Shure SHR840 can really play jazz and acoustic? How does it compare to the Senn HD380 or ATH M50 which seem to be of a similar DJ ilk.

And Cerbie, to be honest, I don't have the time, patience, or money to experiment with four different cans from multiple online sources. And since most of these aren't sold in many stores, so I could really use as many suggestions as I can get.

Just as an aside, does anyone know if the Shure 840's cable can be replaced DIY? It seems that the stock cable terminates in a 2.5mm plug with some sort of locking mechanism. I suspect that a standard 2.5mm plug won't work so how do people replace their cables without buying an identical replacement from Shure? I would also like to add that whatever can I get will be modded. At the very least I will probably be recabling with OFC and a thick, tough jacket but I have considered more adventurous mods (ie. Markl mod for D2000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back