Closed/Non-Leaking Headphones for Jazz
Jul 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Audiotodd

Head-Fier
So I am looking to "branch out." I currently have a pair of IEMs, the Shure SE420, which I really like. They might not offer the greatest sound ever but they allow me to listen to more music in environments I once thought inhospitable to music. I have found however that IEMs can be a little uncomfortable after a few hours.

I will primarily be using these for studying and work. As such, I would like to get a pair of cans that will be comfortable over long periods of time. Because I will likely be working in library and office settings, I need cans that won't leak sound. Its not so important that they isolate, but it is important that I not disturb the people around me. My music preferences are pretty straightforward. Most of what I listen to is straight ahead jazz and classic rock. I also listen to some blues and acoustic rock with a very small amount of heavy rock mixed in. For the moment I will be using my DAP and/or laptop as sources with either a Headroom Bithead or Corda XXS (haven't decided yet), but it is my full intention to buy a desktop amp (proably a C2C).

So... my current options seem to be:

Denon D2000
Beyerdynamic DT770
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K271
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser HD555

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 24
Please add the ATH 'A' series to that list - A500, A700, A900 - note that these are a very different headphone to the AD700/AD900 series (closed vs open).

As you can see from my sig, I have a pair of K601s - you can use these like small speakers as they leak so much sound, but my A500s are the complete opposite. I am currently listening to mine from my Cowon IA7 and it is sensational, but my Sony 720 series player did have to work fairly hard to drive them - big cups, big drivers. Should be no problem with your amp plans.

I listen to a lot of heavier stuff (no jazz - more death metal / nu-metal than classic rock) but I also have tunes from artists like Rush - the A500s are definitely muddier with the older productions than the 601s, but still enjoyable. It would be great if you can audition the ATs - I am stunned by how much bass these things have on tap. Judas Priest have never sounded so good.

Personally, I prefer canals in a work environment, but you seem hellbent on cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Beyer DT250/80 is also highly regarded in some circles, but I havent heard them.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 24
For me, the Beyer DT770 600ohm Manufaktur (leather pads) are the real deal of non leaking closed cans, sadly, they are also the most expensive. I listen to a lot of jazz and they play it beautifully, on par with the dt880's (which are not closed) except for the air and soundstage, which is slightly better in them.
I have tried k271's, the Denon's (which leak a lot) and the HD280's. The DT770 600ohm is more musical than those, the others either emphasized highs, mids or lows, the beyer is more balanced and does it more naturally.

Jul 11, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 24
The DT880 and the HD555 aren't closed, and the 555 is crap. I haven't heared the HD280, but its reputation is rather midfi-ish. The AT A900 suffers from low detailling abilities (and I doubt the smaller models are better).

I think the most reasonable choice would be the K271/K272 or the DT770, dependent on your listening habits (neutral or bombastic). The D2000 also works, but is too expensive in relation to its performance IMO.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 24
I also wouldn't recommend going with the A900s for your preferences. The bass is too overpowering for my tastes, and while that makes them quite good for playing games (to me anyway), it's too much for music (I'm a classic rock fan myself). I should point out I'm not a basshead however.

Unfortunately I haven't had any other closed cans so I can't help you with a recommendation, but I thought I'd chime in with my A900 experiences.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 24
To be honest, this is the result I expected to a certain extent. Thus my dilemma is as follows. The DT770 has a reputation as a fairly "boomy" can, a characteristic that doesn't tend to jibe well with jazz or acoustic. AKG on the other hand is an acoustic brand and their phones are very popular in jazz and acoustic circles. That said, the K271 has a tiny following on Head-Fi. I hate to ask such a question as which is "better" but it would seem that with such different frequency responses, one has to be better for jazz.

Also, I have a couple of questions. First and foremost, in the grand scheme of things, are these closed cans really worth their cost? There is a part of me that things that modding and recabling a pair of okay closed cans and spending my money on a pair of semi-open cans like the DT880 would really be worth it. Frankly, it is for this reason that I put the 880 up for consideration. I don't listen to my music very loud and there is no such thing as a perfectly quiet room, so while the DT880 isn't perfectly isolating, is it isolated enough that it won't leak at unacceptable values? If not, what is the verdict regarding the DT770 premium vs. the pro version? It seems that while the pro is vastly less expensive, it is not constructed terribly well? Is this accurate? My concern is that the premium simply doesn't offer high enough SQ to be worth the price.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiotodd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, this is the result I expected to a certain extent. Thus my dilemma is as follows. The DT770 has a reputation as a fairly "boomy" can, a characteristic that doesn't tend to jibe well with jazz or acoustic.

That reputation is for the 80ohm model (which is the one the majority owns), the 600ohm is not boomy at all, actually the bass is very balanced, it is a very different and more refined can.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That reputation is for the 250ohm model (which is the one the majority owns), the 600ohm is not boomy at all, actually the bass is very balanced, it is a very different and more refined can.

I thought that reputation was for the DT770 pro and that the DT770 '05 isn't boomy at all. But FWIR you're right about the 600ohm version.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that reputation was for the DT770 pro and that the DT770 '05 isn't boomy at all. But FWIR you're right about the 600ohm version.

True, dt770 80ohm, my appologies, I will correct the post

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 24
I agree with the Denon D2000.
I just bought some off this site so they were burned in with ~200 hours on them but when listening to the String Quartet Tribute To.... albums (as close as I get to jazz besides the obligatory blues because of my guitar playing) and they just sing with bellowing string instruments (cello, violin, etc) but with the blues I listen to there is some brass instruments and on a loud crescendo they can be a bit harsh but that is more of a volume control problem for me rather than a sound signature issue

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 24
Audiotodd the Beyer DT880 (250 ohm circa 2003) or the Denon D2000/5000 will serve you well for jazz. Of course they are quite different the first being open and the second closed. Perhaps you could attend a meet to listen to both, which BTW need an amp IMO to extract the best from each. Good luck.

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 24
For me, the SRH840 sounds much better then the D2000 for Jazz and acoustic..

The bass is not bloated like the Denon, the mids are more forward in a good way and treble is clearer, never harsh and has more detail..

I think the Shure is playing in a other league here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back