Closed headphones with similar sound to Audio Technica M50 but without the bright treble?
Jan 7, 2012 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
As thread title says!!

Any suggestions? No EQ advice please!!

Ideally it should be a similar size to the M50 and in a similar price bracket.

It seems most closed headphones that have heavy bass tend to recess the midrange and emphasize the highs - resulting in a 'V' shaped frequency response.

Is there any closed headphone with heavy bass that has much tamer highs?

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 12
Beats me..

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 12
DJ headphones are your friends.
For example:
Ortofon O2
Shure SRH750DJ
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 

Truth be told, the ATH-M50 is not really a very trebbly headphone in the first place, not compared to the majority of its monitor competition. You might have trouble finding something good, but DJ headphones seem to be a safe bet.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 12
TMA-1's? Everyone say's they're dark, and I have to agree with them after my brief demo. Not to my tastes, but if you find the M50's dark, then maybe they're for you (I dont find the Grado sr-325's even slightly sibilant, which is saying something)

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
DJ headphones are your friends.
For example:
Ortofon O2
Shure SRH750DJ
Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 

Truth be told, the ATH-M50 is not really a very trebbly headphone in the first place, not compared to the majority of its monitor competition. You might have trouble finding something good, but DJ headphones seem to be a safe bet.

Agreed; and possibly (probably?) the reason why the OP isn't getting a whole lot of suggestions in this thread.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 12
I suggest the TMA-1 headphones, or waiting a bit for the TMA-1 Studio headphones.

The originals have a darker sound signature, but that might be what you want. If you want them to match with the M50's for every point but the treble, use a treble booster-like EQ setting and that'll do it.

They're highly rated, and I can vouch for their sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back