Closed headphones for serious music production
Aug 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Folks

I’m on to my second year at the university on which I study “sound and music production”, and I’m in need of some serious full-size cans that I can use while working in school and in the studio. I have an old pair of DT770 that I’ve been using for over four years now, and since that I’m now used to their sonic character I know how to work with them. So I was first thinking of getting the new version of DT770 and continue mixing as if nothing was new. But since it’s fun to buy new things I remembered this forum and your expertise.

Since I’m going to analyse and pre-mix music with my new headphones, I want a headphone that is as flat and smooth as possible for a closed design in my price range. It also has to be able to dig fairly deep into the sub-bass regions, since I produce electronic music. I know that a closed design usually isn’t as linear as an open model such as the HD650, but a closed design is a must. Semi-closed models that cancels out noise pretty good is also interesting.

I’ve been thinking of these models (the Denon is about as much money I can spend)
AKG K 271 MK II
Audio-Technica ATH-A700
Beyer Dynamic DT770
Beyer Dynamic DT880
DENON AH-D2000

Thank you in advance…
/Christopher

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 46
the dt880 are not closed so I would eliminate them. I have extensively tried or owned the ones you mentioned except the AT, and I was much more satisfied with the dt770 600ohm Manufaktur with leatherpads, this is a very refined version of your pro/80ohm, it eliminates the regular flaws associated with the pro, like sibilance and boom, sounding more balanced and rendering with better definition. The next on my list would be the k271 and at the very end the denon.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dt880 are not closed so I would eliminate them. I have extensively tried or owned the ones you mentioned except the AT, and I was much more satisfied with the dt770 600ohm Manufaktur with leatherpads, this is a very refined version of your pro/80ohm, it eliminates the regular flaws associated with the pro, like sibilance and boom, sounding more balanced and rendering with better definition. The next on my list would be the k271 and at the very end the denon.

x2 completely
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 46
That sounds really good. But will a can with 600 ohm resistance play well straight out of my MacBook? And how about my Go-Vibe V5 (AD8620/8610 op-amps)?

/Christopher

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds really good. But will a can with 600 ohm resistance play well straight out of my MacBook? And how about my Go-Vibe V5 (AD8620/8610 op-amps)?

/Christopher

The first questions to ask / answer are...

What equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

And, what is your budget for buying headphones and an amp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I’m going to analyse and pre-mix music with my new headphones, I want a headphone that is as flat and smooth as possible for a closed design in my price range. It also has to be able to dig fairly deep into the sub-bass regions, since I produce electronic music.

FWIR... you may want to consider an Ultrasone.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 46
I recommend the Ultrasone 680 or 780. I got the 680's recently and have been quite happy with them.

The Beyers need a good fairly powerful amp, otherwise you get a U curve like sound with sharp treble and boomy bass and recessed mids. I wouldnt bother with the A700/A900 unless you want to stick to a lower budget. They are decent, but the Beyers and Ultrasones are better.

I havent heard the D2000's but I really liked the D5000's. But

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 46
The headphones must work fine straight out of my MacBook Pro and my Go-Vibe V5 (AD8620/8610 op-amps). These two are the weakest sources that the headphones will be used together with. On the other side of the line is an SSL AWS900, but resistance or type of headphone is not a problem in that case, since it’s internal amps are powerful enough to burn speakers.

Ps.
I'm only interested in buying headphones this time. I would prefer not to pay much more than 300 USD...
What about the 250ohm model? http://www.thomann.de/se/beyerdynami...ce03eef7fe4072

Ds.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 46
This forum needs more love for the Beyer DT250s!

You listed both K271 and A700 but not the DT250s?

If anything they would be much more ideal then any of those two (the fact 250s are specifically made for studio application). Flat response with a slight roll off on the highs, really good separation and very smooth neutral sounding. Don't think there is anything in closed range that can compare in that regard - most are either overly bassy, or are exaggerating some other frequency.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dt880 are not closed so I would eliminate them. I have extensively tried or owned the ones you mentioned except the AT, and I was much more satisfied with the dt770 600ohm Manufaktur with leatherpads, this is a very refined version of your pro/80ohm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 completely
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the Ultrasone ... The Beyers need a good fairly powerful amp

These are wise people -- OP, listen to them! I too have tried nearly all the HPs you asked about. The MANUFAKTUR 770/600 with leather pads is what you want, trust me. Get a good amp -- do it! Oh yea, the budget.

I am going to forget about your budget now, and pretend you can ask the folks for more money, 'cause you need it.

If you want a dead neutral SS amp designed for these phones, and you are willing to send the 770s to Larry at headphile or Drew at moon-audio to have them balanced (Neutrik gold XLR -- do not get silver or rhodium) -- Drew can actually sell you MANFAKTUR and re-cable in one transaction (but he does not quite have all the choices that the German beyer site does), check out QESLabs (Italy), the HPBA-2. Expensive but worth it, with meters to help you monitor. Val at QESLabs designs for people like you.

Otherwise any powerful SS amp will work. A tube amp is not a good choice here.

OK -- ordering the 770/800 MANUFAKTUR with your name engraved on them (exploit the fact that you can have 2 lines of custom lettering on the metal), leather pads, a cool color choice, from the German beyer site (paying in Euros), then having Larry or Drew balance them with their best neutral cable (Black Gold and Black Dragon I think, but ask them), and mating them with a QESLabs HPBA-2 ( Balanced Headphone Amplifier Amp Studio Reference for professional use - QES Labs ) with dual pots and dual meters ... also paying in Euros (by wire transfer) ... you are in for a lot of work and a lot of money.

But if you want to listen for real to what is recorded, with no coloration, this is what you need, and it will last for years.

Otherwise the Ultrasones are excellent (if somewhat colored) closed phones, easily driven from a laptop.

The Denons are for cuddling with your lover by the fire, they are not for monitoring.

A serious other choice is a used set of AKG K240DF's. These were designed to be dead flat, and they conform to a German Radio standard for this. These are within your budget -- hunt for them in all the usual places. I have two, both balanced and re-done with premium cable. It took me only about a month to find them (stock). Try the member Fungi who is an expert on this HP -- he can recable with a 1/8" if you need that.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 46
All these people suggesting getting a 600ohm phone, when he's clearly stated that it needs to run as well as it can from a Macbook too.

The DT250 as already suggested, is designed as a studio monitor, and has the bonus of actually sounding good for music listening.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A serious other choice is a used set of AKG K240DF's. These were designed to be dead flat, and they conform to a German Radio standard for this. These are within your budget -- hunt for them in all the usual places. I have two, both balanced and re-done with premium cable. It took me only about a month to find them (stock). Try the member Fungi who is an expert on this HP -- he can recable with a 1/8" if you need that.

There were a few different sets of 240DF's on ebay recently. One went for under $50. Does the OP have an amp that will power them? They're 600ohm. I'm using the emu0404 amp with mine, which seems more than adequate. They are great hps, but lacking in the bass department....still, an excellent investment, IMO.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 46
I would think that either the AKG K271S or the new Shure SRH840 would be a good choice. I own both, and they are both designed as closed studio monitors.

I'm not so sure that the Denons would be a good choice for this particular application, though I like them very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back