Closed Headphones above HD-600?
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if with proper design same driver as in HD600 can be used in a closed headphone though. Mind you, there are companies that use same drivers in open and closed headphones, because with sufficient alterations to the chassis the differences of the methods are not an issue.

Quote:

On a side note - try putting your hands around the HD600 grills, it does not change THAT much. With proper damping, this could serve as a good closed can (I am thinking slightly larger cup filled with cotton instead of the grill).

I really find it very hard to believe that customizing something which is so incredibly complex to engineer will improve it. At least not without the proper resources: a laboratory, expensive testing gear, complex computer modeling and very expensive engineers. Maybe I'm wrong but...

Quote:

Scarily enough properly amped HD600 goes between 4 and 5.

How sure are you about this?
Where would you place the Senn+Raptor combo?

As a sidenote, unfortunately my experience with headphones is limited to my HD-600's because I live in a quiet corner of Europe, so your feedback is appreciated (I must be th only person on these boards that has never heard a pair of k701's... but I'm still trying!)

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 33
I did not say anything about improving HD600 by closing it, I meant that it is very plausible to make a closed headphone out of it that would still sound pretty good.

Raptor is one of the optimal amps for HD600 in the single-ended world. If you balance it, resolution/speed/detail retrieval improve, but the tonality of this headphone is the most important thing about it I feel... but improving HD600 is not relevant to this thread heh.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 33
true
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #19 of 33
Have you considered IEMs? I'm in the same situation at work; I'm annoyed by office noise leaking in, and am wary of annoying my co-workers with music leaking out.

I've been waiting for the Westone 3, but am also considering other IEM choices since the Westones have been so long delayed. I'm cautious since I've never used an IEM before, but it seems that an IEM is the best way to get audiophile sound with excellent isolation.

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 33
The Stax 4070 might be worthy a place on your list.
But then you need to buy a suitable amplifier in addition, or sell the Raptor to fund it.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Stax 4070 might be worthy a place on your list.
But then you need to buy a suitable amplifier in addition, or sell the Raptor to fund it.

Thats another, although isolating is very limited (as it is on D5000/D2000/W5000 ...)

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Thats another, although isolating is very limited (as it is on D5000/D2000/W5000 ...)

I don't know the listed phones. But I certainly find the 4070 to block out noise quite well.
No idea how many DB we are talking about, since I have never seen any numbers mentioned.

They might be "open" compared to the other ones listed though.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just throwing out an idea, not really sure how much they will change the sound but what about Darth Sennheisers.

Sennheiser Mods, Sennheiser Woody, Sennheiser Cable, Senn V2

He claims " Senn woodies help lift the lush veil and provide a more balanced frequency range to these ears. Overall impact will increase. The standard depth brings the music in your face close while the deeper depth woodies create a nice balance of soundstage, depth and bring out the high end better."

They start at 150 for completely closed normal depth or 200 for deeper cups and there are more options

I had a pair of headphile woodied HD650's some years ago as I hoped this would work as a closed phone but found that the isolation was not much better than the stock version so I sold them and ended up with the L3000.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Random thought:

how about an AKG 271 with a good cable (zu, RAL, equinox). I personally preferred their sound to the HD 600 - less bass than the Denons and far less expensive than the ATHs.

I would second that. The K271S scales well with a good source and amp. I wouldn't bother with the Equinox cable though. I had one and was hard pressed to tell the difference from the stock cable. I'm currently saving up for the Zu cable which supposedly makes a substantial improvement based on my reading.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #27 of 33
as an ex HD600 fanboy, i'd say Ultrasone Proline 750 FTW. my PL750 is begining its 300+hrs of burn-in and alls i can say is its at the very least (its better in my opinion) technically as proficient as the HD600 but the PL750 excels in the other areas that HD600 dont.

on top of being closed the PL750s S-logic brings an gradoish excitement to the music that i've always felt the Senns lacked. soundstage is at least as wide but with a slightly different interpretation (due to S-Logic im assuming). the PL750's bass is deeper and has better PRaT IMO. its also wayyy easy to drive (sounds pretty decent outta a RSA Tomahawk if u can believe that) and folds up nicely to make it semi-portable at the very least.

cons? well isolation isnt up to DJ'in standards, comfort isnt the greatest (on par with HD6x0s imo) and the PL750s will punish substandard sources. O and be prepared for a hell of a rollercoaster ride in the requisite 400hrs or so of burn-in. otherwise its pretty much all good in my books.

the PL750s for $250-300 (i paid $250 + shipping FWIW) is a great deal but ofcos if i were u and have the moolah, i'd get the Ed9s. another viable choice is the Denon D5k - from a 20 min encounter driven by a Hornet, i'd say it definetly grooves with a biggg bass (PL750s bass is similiar in slam but better in quality IMO) and is due worth consideration. the AT W5k is a cut of a different cow and is more of a supplement rather than a replacement.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #28 of 33
I just bought a pair of Stax 4070s. I am running them on a Stax SRM 007t. I've had them for two or three days and have been listening to them extensively. I too live in a noisy NYC where ambulances, Fire Engines and Police cars etc are going buy all day and all night. I would say that if money is not an issue, the 4070s are just about perfection. You know when I was a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s most of the headphones were enclosed. It is a good way for the listener to focus completely on the music at hand. I don't know what all the fuss is about with Open Air Headphones?
That's about it. Scottsmrnyc

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what all the fuss is about with Open Air Headphones?

Less reflections to deal with during design, making it simpler to make something neutral (or at least very balanced). If your only concern is not disturbing others (say across a wall), an open headphone is a very good for listening when you can't use speakers. Closed headphones can be very good too, but not quite as.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back