closed headphones ~ $150
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DiscoCat5

New Head-Fier

Hi guys, this is my first post! (Just signed up)

I’ve read through these forums many times though. So I’m in the market for some headphones and after scouring through many posts on this excellent forum I still haven’t been able to decide on the right set of headphones :frowning2:. I’m sure someone will read this, sigh, and refer me to someplace else where six thousand other n00bs have asked for this exact advice, So I’m sorry if this is an annoying post to you all.

The things that are most important to me with these headphones is that they :

*Are excellent for HipHop listening (as real HipHop comprises the majority of my music catalogue)
*Closed – I mostly want to be alone with my music and not distracted by ambient noise (uni student living on res)
*I listen to mainly my latest generation iPod classic or my computer through the aftermarket soundcard and occasionally through my Harman/Kardon hk503 amp – so they would have to sound nice without a little headphone amp (don’t think I could afford it and too cumbersome to be carrying around with me if I’m moving around)
* I’m looking around the $150AUD mark, but that’s not a firm budget and am willing to move away from it a little bit if it’s going to be worth it.
* Good bass (but I mean I don’t want to be just listening to bass notes), being able to feel the thump but it not being too inaccurate is fairly important

To a lesser extent it would be nice if the headphones were:

* Not TOO big, somewhere near the beats by Dre studio size would be nice.
* Stylish looking

So hopefully some of you audiophiles out there can find some time during this silly season to help me out with my purchase.
Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I just received my pair of Phiaton MS 300, and they seem like they would fit nicely for your needs. The bass is strong but not too overbearing and they definitely have that small form factor that rivals the Beats. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Try read here: http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/ Hope you found what you want.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 6
see if you can find your way into a pair of AH-D2000s. Alternately, the Beyerdynamic DT770s are a bit cheaper. The Sennheiser HD380s are about equivalent to the DT770s. All three headphones are very comfortable, and rather warm-sounding. AH-D2000 ftw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back