Closed Headphone $200
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

guitarizt

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of sr60s and rx700s I'm using 99% of the time through my computer right now. I listen to top40 music, indie, folk rock, rap, and house. I prefer the sound of the rx700s pretty much for everything over the sr60s. Yeah, even the folk rock and indie stuff. I still listen to the sr60s too just for something different.

I was looking at the hd600 before but now I'm leaning towards the sr840 because it's cheaper. I kind of plan on spending maybe 1k over the next couple years on headphone gear so I just want stuff that sounds good yet different from each other.

I'm also planning on spending about 150 on an amp/dac for my computer. Would the total bithead be good for now?

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 19
You can also look into the K 271. I had one and it has a very neutral sound with great clarity and good soundstage, especially for a closed headphone. The thing that I read many people complain about is the lack of bass. I didn't think it lacked bass, especially compared to my previous headphone, the SR60 (they were about on par with each other). It just seemed tighter and more well-defined.

If you go for the MK II version, it comes with leather (fake, I think) and velour pads, which slightly changes the bass quantity and comfort. You can get these for about $150 to $180, new.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 19
I highly recommend giving Shure SRH840 a try - the best closed cans for the money overall IMO. AKG K271 may be better in some aspects, but really needs a good amp and source to shine. The Shures sound good unamped, have similar great isolation and make great portable cans as well if your ears and head are average in size.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH840, no amp needed.. sounds awesome, best closed can ive heard!

What he said!

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 19
the Shure 840s are great, but are one of the heaviest cans I've ever used. They are not portable, but can go portable. The bass response on them off an ipod or mp3 player is in a class all its own. Even my Sennheiser 485s dont sound that good on the bass end. The cord is very annoying, this fetish with long cords must end. I'm really tired of it

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm confused now. Lots of people say they like the ath-m50s and the 840s sound lifeless, but then lots of people say the 840s are worth the extra money and even better than the hd600. The band wearing out on the ath-m50s is kind of a big sticking point for me right now too, but I'm hoping it won't be that much of a problem since I won't be walking with it on or anything.

I'm assuming I can call some places and find the 840s for about $150, but the ath-m50s are only about $90 shipped on ebay.

I just sit and listen to music on the computer so I don't care about portability or isolation at all.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 19
I had the SRH840 and the ATH-M50 at the same time.

SRH840 have a very smooth, neutral sound. IMO though, they are boring and I am not a huge fan of its bass.

I much prefer the lively sound of the ATH-M50. More and better bass, with lively sweet highs.

If the ATH-M50 was the same price as the SRH840, I would still prefer the ATH-M50. But the ATH-M50 is $60 less.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarizt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the sound of the rx700s pretty much for everything over the sr60s. Yeah, even the folk rock and indie stuff.

I'm also planning on spending about 150 on an amp/dac for my computer. Would the total bithead be good for now?

Might be hard to find something better than the RX700s for under $200... do you want more bass impact or high-end sizzle?

Regarding the amp/DAC I think the Zero is hard to beat for under $150, don't bother with a portable amp unless of course you need the portability.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 19
lol, with the GMP 8.35 no amp needed, AND sound much better than the M-50.
smile.gif
Even the HFI/Pro-550 have a better resolution in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back