Closed Headphone $200
Sep 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #17 of 19
The M50s are like "fart canons" I found the bass too boomy in stock form (overpowers mids and highs). I had to crack open the phones, remove the foam in the in the center porting of the drivers, add fiberloft as additional damping material, dynamat and seal the cups with blu-tack(more for isolation) to bring the lows down to an acceptable level.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 19
I just went to guitar center in cupertino/san jose planning to get the ath-m50s to tide me over until I could get the srh840s from one of the many places that were out of stock, but they had 3-4 srh840s in stock even though online it said they didn't have any.

I tried out the m50s first and I liked them. I thought they sounded good at first and was leaning towards just getting those instead of the 840s since I was really satisfied with the sound. I then tried the 840s and they just sounded better. Less of the blanket feel to them. The mids and highs just sounded better to me and the decision was pretty clear.

I paid 150+tax out the door which I'm happy with. Zzounds.com has free shipping with no tax and they said they gave me a quote for slightly under 150, but this way I don't have to wait. I got a zero amp off ebay last night, and I know the 840s don't need an amp but I hate the onboard audio on my computer. There's a big enough difference between my ipod and computer to make me think that I'll really like the zero when I get it.

I like the 840s much better than the rx700s and sr60s. I doubt I'll be using my other headphones much anymore. The 840s sound all around better to me, except the highs on the grado are nice but I just don't really like the grado sound signature much. The 840s don't seem that heavy to me and I was expecting them to be much more uncomfortable after hearing everyone complain about how heavy they were. I guess time will tell if I still feel the same way about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back