[CLOSED] (HD800 vs LCD-2 vs PS1000 vs HE-6) + Colorfly C4 Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 44
Thanks guys for the commentaries and help that you provided. I finally going to be in Moscow in the middle of Jule - so I'm going to buy headphones. Grado PS 1000 or HD 800 - good thing if they will have both))

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:
Thanks guys for the commentaries and help that you provided. I finally going to be in Moscow in the middle of Jule - so I'm going to buy headphones. Grado PS 1000 or HD 800 - good thing if they will have both))

Having heard both, i really think that you can't go wrong with either of them, the only advantage that the PS1000 might have over the HD800, is that they're less amp dependant, they'll give you the lion's share of their petentiel out of just about anything. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #33 of 44
I wonder which ones you'll fall in love with? It'll be interesting to find out. I took my hd800s outdoorsladt night as it was so warm and had gotten me curious. They were reasonably isolating and comfortable with me being able to hear some outside sounds while I was walking such as a cyclist approaching me from behind. I had a terrible time with my cheap adapter that was coming loose from the jack at every opportunity :)

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #34 of 44
Grado and Sennheiser are colored and on the longer run you will realize that many things are to pushed. There is also wow factor there, especially in the beginning, also some artificial things that may amaze you as well, so, if I were you, I would took some extra time to find out. Maybe you can participate to some meet or find someone who lives not far from you, so you can try them first.

On the other hand, If your budget allow you to buy HD800 or PS1000, why don't you try some custom IEM's, such as UM Miracles, but before that, maybe  Etymotic ER4p first, as they are the open window for truly balanced, neutral and natural sound reproduction.[size=6pt][/size]
Based on your music preferences, I wouldn't buy PS1000 or HD800, but that's me. I ended up with Ety's and AKG K702, but AKG are not easy to drive from portable, but I do believe that matched portable amp will solve this problem, if you still prefer to go full size anyway. [size=6pt][/size]
Personally, I never try UM Miracles, but a very good friend of my who I really trust suggested them to me as he did with Ety's and one day I would love to try them.[size=6pt][/size]
In the beginning, it's annoying, IEMs I mean, but ones your ears are adjusted, you will be enjoying them very much, especially customs, cos they seal very good, simply block out from the rest of the world and they are really portable, basically, ideal solution if you want take them with you or listen at home.[size=6pt][/size]
Don’t get me wrong, we all have our preferences and ideas about the sound, but when you step in on that price range field, I suggest you to think over and consider some alternatives to, that’s all.

Good luck.[size=6pt][/size]

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:
Grado and Sennheiser are colored and on the longer run you will realize that many things are to pushed. There is also wow factor there, especially in the beginning, also some artificial things that may amaze you as well, so, if I were you, I would took some extra time to find out. Maybe you can participate to some meet or find someone who lives not far from you, so you can try them first.

On the other hand, If your budget allow you to buy HD800 or PS1000, why don't you try some custom IEM's, such as UM Miracles, but before that, maybe  Etymotic ER4p first, as they are the open window for truly balanced, neutral and natural sound reproduction.[size=6pt][/size]
Based on your music preferences, I wouldn't buy PS1000 or HD800, but that's me. I ended up with Ety's and AKG K702, but AKG are not easy to drive from portable, but I do believe that matched portable amp will solve this problem, if you still prefer to go full size anyway. [size=6pt][/size]
Personally, I never try UM Miracles, but a very good friend of my who I really trust suggested them to me as he did with Ety's and one day I would love to try them.[size=6pt][/size]
In the beginning, it's annoying, IEMs I mean, but ones your ears are adjusted, you will be enjoying them very much, especially customs, cos they seal very good, simply block out from the rest of the world and they are really portable, basically, ideal solution if you want take them with you or listen at home.[size=6pt][/size]
Don’t get me wrong, we all have our preferences and ideas about the sound, but when you step in on that price range field, I suggest you to think over and consider some alternatives to, that’s all.

Good luck.[size=6pt][/size]

My Grados, have 'Wowed' me for almost 7 years now, so, i guess i must like colored headphones
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 44
Another vote for the PS1000s, although I admit I haven't heard the HD800s. 
A local dealer has a pair of 1000s and I love 'em. 
Plenty of detail, but in a relaxed, organic presentation. They're really musical and very easy to drive, even with an Iphone. 
I'm listening to a pair of PS-500s right now which have most of the 1000's virtues at 1/3 of the price. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:
A local dealer has a pair of 1000s and I love 'em. 
Plenty of detail, but in a relaxed, organic presentation. They're really musical and very easy to drive, even with an Iphone. 
I'm listening to a pair of PS-500s right now which have most of the 1000's virtues at 1/3 of the price. 

At first, i had bought the PS500, and 2 weeks later, the Grado rep, who knows me, and knew that i already own the GS1000, left a pair of PS1000 with my salesman for me to try, well, the day after i picked up the PS1000, i took my PS500 back to the store and kept the PS1000.

I do however think that the PS500 is one of the best buy among the Grado line, so, i understand your reasoning.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #38 of 44
My Grados, have 'Wowed' me for almost 7 years now, so, i guess i must like colored headphones :wink:

7 years! Longest I've had a phone for is 7 months! I wonder which of mine will still be around in 7 years. I'd like to think that even if Sennheiser brought out a succesor to the 800s I wouldn't be tempted as I'm happy with their sound signature.
But there are plenty more amazing sound signatures out there of which the PS100s are undoubtedly different.
And Stacker is one of the 100s if not 1000s on headfi who loves the Grado sound.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #39 of 44
Come to Layton audio right here in Montreal if you are interested in the HD800/PS1000/HE6.

What is your portable set-up? The HD800's sound nice with the hifiman players too.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #40 of 44
And one more. :) I've spent about a year with the HD800's along with the PS1000 being mine since 2010 and I confirm all the advantages of the PS1000's mentioned here against the HD800, GS1000i's and others.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 44
Have You also tried the T90 from Beyer? I recenetly tested in a shop with my C4 the HD800, LCD2 and T5P and also the T90. And I liked most the T90. It might be that the other cans were not burned in properly. But the T90 gave the best results and it is an open headphone. Sometimes it sounds a bit sibilant with the C4. But sound sound is more involving than HD800 and LCD2.

Has anybody got more experience with the combination C4 and T90?

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #42 of 44
I do not know why, but I have not logged in here for two years. I come back though)
During this years, my audio history is next:
After visit of the shop in Moscow 2 years ago - I returned to Canada. In the shop I decided that I would buy LCD-3. They beated everything including PS1000, HD800, LCD-2 and few others.
I ordered the headphones - they came - I was really happy. The year after - I ordered the cable Crystal Piccolino made by "Effect audio". But slowly I start to feel dissatisfaction with the music and sound. I felt like the is not much clarity and power in my listening experience. So I have been continuing my search for all these years. It Ottawa I found the "planet of sound". I have visited it around 2-3 times.
First time I was amazed by Grado Rs-2i. As I mentioned after this experience I decided I'm not going do deal with closed headphones anymore. 
Second time I visited it, I had experienced Grado ps500e. I was shocked - this pair of headphones was much better on color than LCD-3. They provided more clarity, space, accents on highs and lows. I also listened for Stax 4170 (SR-407 signature+SRM-006tS) and Weiss DAC 202. I absolutely loved Stax and was dreaming about them or ps500e for the whole summer, until in August I went to Audio shop in Russia in St.Petersberg. I have tried ps500(old version) and few other portable players. I was really discouraged by sound of the music. In the last year, I felt very lackadaisically about any type of sound I heard through my laptop,Colorfly,LCD-3. Something in me had changed. 
Then I visited second shop and tried again HD800 and Audeze EL-8. Apathy followed me there. Suddenly, I decided to try the best IEMs they had - Westone something 50 and Sony XBA-z5. I was impressed by Z5. I was thinking around couple days and then finally bought it)) But the story has not ended as dissatisfaction was still there. I clearly understand that I need a source.

Finally, I went to the "planet of sound" today and have.listened to the same DAC 202. I was impressed so much! This device returned the interest to the music. The only thing that was in my mind when I plugged in my LCD-3 in there was - "this is how music supposed to sound". I also tried stax, but the consultant connected my color through the jack input, so I think it spoilt all listening experience, as I was not impressed by Stax at all. I remember second time they connected Color through co-axial, so result was different.
Also, I tried Graham slee  SOLO ULTRALINEAR. Firstly, they connected it to Color and result was not really differentiated from color alone. So they connected the DAC I forgot, but probably (NORTH STAR INTENSO 384-32 DSD DAC). Result killed me. I tried ps500e, HD800, XBA Z5 and LCD-3. The one I have made makes me really happy! :) According to my ears, I'm on the right path.

What is morality of the story? Well, due to inability of experience audio setups, there are lots of sufferings coming out. You can't simply buy at once all your setup and be happy forever. I wanted to sell my LCD-3 with the cable (which worth 1500$) and buy Stax SR-507 and STAX SRM-007TII. I was really hesitating about XBA Z5 and wanted to sell them as well and buy customs from JH, 1964 or something. Now I do not want to sell any headphones. But I have troubles with an amp and dac right now. I do not know what to do(( I have desire to sell colorfly or exchange it to Audeze Decard or something else. But again - I have no opportunity  to listen Burson, Wo audio, Blue Hawaii and Chord Hugo.

Thanks guys for reading and priceless discussion. I gained some experience - feel free to ask the questions. What I know - I will share. 

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #44 of 44
Fiio x7+ALO cv5+earbuds...my current setup. I left full-size and iem form-factors.
The thread can be closed)) Probably, somebody will find something useful here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back