Closed, Grado-esque, cheap
Aug 1, 2008 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xlin58

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for which headphones are the closed equivalent of Grado SR60's , 80's and 125's. Can anyone help me out?

Also would painting the outside mess with its performance at all?

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 15
Painting your headphones blue will improve their bass response, this is a known fact, just as it is known that a yellow paint will brighten the sound.

Also, a glossy paint will improve soundstage, while something less shiny will improve detail.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 15
Vaseline around the opening in front of the driver allows the sound to come out with less resistance and decreases distortion and adds volume.
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultrasone HFI-780.

I wpould have also said the 25-1's . they are quite forward in their presentation.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of all that I've heard, the AT ES7 is the only closed phone that sounds similar to a grado.

Definitely. It's got the very forward, aggressive mids and punchiness in the bass, as well as beautiful highs. It's not Grado, but I think it's very close from a closed phone.

IMHO the HD25-1 doesn't even compare for rock (and doesn't really carry elements too close to the Grado sound signature). I found them a bit too dark in comparison.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 15
lol espire, my new grados wil be all those colors then :p

I was saying closed headphones at a similiar price point of the grados while performing at a similiar level. But I see that that is impossible heh. I'll be getting some kind of Grado for sure then.
Edit: Actually how is the bass response of the es7's compared to grados 60 through 125?
Because I listen to everyhtign (rap, rock, classical, acoustic etc, not country). I'd like to have a really tight, punchy bass. I was looking at the beyer 770's but i read that they were too muddy.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 15
There more bass in the ES7s but it's not muddy and doesn't cloud the midrange. They're very good for trance, rap, and rock. The problem I have with them is the comfort.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There more bass in the ES7s but it's not muddy and doesn't cloud the midrange. They're very good for trance, rap, and rock. The problem I have with them is the comfort.

I've heard the headband mod helps with that. Sadly, I was only able to audition the es7's for a short time (around one hour). What I heard, I liked.

Nylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back