Closed, flat, all-round audiophile headphones under 300$$$ - suggestions?
Aug 20, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

neo-fi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still fairly new to this audio-world so, please do explain why something is better/worse than something else.

I'm looking new pair of quality headphones/headset to replace my old headset (Koss SB/45), thought I'll need to invest some to headphones to get full potential out of Essence STX.
I'll be shortly upgrading my onboard Realtek ALC885 HD Audio to ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Already ordered, just waiting it to arrive.
mad.gif

Firstly I'll be needing a mic, so should I go with headSET or headPHONES + mic combo?
Looking for an all-round headphones for music/gaming/everything else for <200€ preferably or max 300€
Requirements:
Superb comfort: able to use headphones 5+ hrs straight without fatigue to head/ears - can't emphasize this enough!***
Insulation/sound cancellation: I've got TV in same room with my PC and usually someone is watching it so some sound cancellation is a must.
Quality/performance: with this I mean not too bass heavy/not too high mids etc... I guess you call it flat performance?
Frequency response: something like 10 Hz – 26,000 Hz is sufficient!
Impedance: high or low, dunno, no experience which is better... Essence STX has headphone amp so this shouldn't be problem.

I have serious issues with my Koss SB/45 Headset atm, just over 2 hours of use causes my ears to hurt so much that you wouldn't want to use them for a while.
***In fact Koss SB/45 presses against my ears' Elastic cartilage especially at the part which is named Anti-Helix on the wikipedia's picture. So after continuous (4h/d everyday) use my skin on top of "Anti-Helix" is glowing red and sometimes I've even noticed scar tissue over the area.
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 86
Aug 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 86
Concur with the separate mic suggestion. While I've not heard the suggested Sure line myself, I'd look at those.

What do you have now and what are your likes/dislikes?

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthecheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zalman Clip on Mic
Amazon.com: Zalman Microphone Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone Retail: Electronics
(i would recommend ordering from here: Zalman High-End Microphone Attachment at Xoxide!)

Guess this wraps up the microphone department for me, unless someone has even better suggestion.
God damn! I hate amazon and other online stores because they won't ship to Europe, prices are so tempting even without sale!
That mic 8$ or 6$ on sale is here 6,8€
angry_face.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 86
I'd suggest the SRH840's. I use them on my PC, and have my laptop/TV/fan on at the same time, all of which are in fairly close proximity. They isolate fairly well, have a very nice sound signature for the genres I frequent, have an amazing soundstage for a closed can, and are very comfortable.

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Concur with the separate mic suggestion. While I've not heard the suggested Sure line myself, I'd look at those.

What do you have now and what are your likes/dislikes?

What you mean, suggested Sure line? Or you mean those Shure Headphones recommended? Should I look mic from same maker?

What I have now? Well, the Koss SB/45 headset SB45 - Koss.
Likes, it's got mic and ok quality sound.
Dislikes, hurts on my ears, check the 1st post for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back