Closed, Classical, DT150/DT250?
Dec 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to buy a pair of closed headphones for listening late at night.
My budget is about £150 which puts both these phones well in price range.
Just wondering what people's opinions on them are for classical music, what with the closed design? I need a closed pair to minimise leaking.
Other suggestions very welcome!
Thanks
Tom

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions! Any other opinions?

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! Any other opinions?

I took DavidMahler's advice and got the DT660.  It's comfortable, very, very efficient, great isolation, and has a bit of sub-bass (orchestral bass drum).  The soundstage is a bit narrower than I like but closed heaphones tend to be that way, IME.  Too sense.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I'd like to buy a pair of closed headphones for listening late at night.
My budget is about £150 which puts both these phones well in price range.
Just wondering what people's opinions on them are for classical music, what with the closed design? I need a closed pair to minimise leaking.
Other suggestions very welcome!
Thanks
Tom

Heya,

Look into:

AKG K271 MKII
AKG K272 HD
AKG K167
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH940 (second hand/sale?)
Beyer DT770
Beyer Custom One Pro
Audiotechnica A700X
AudioTechnica A900X
Brainwavz HM5
Mr Speakers Mad Dog (used/second hand/sale?)
Any varient of a well modded T50RP

Very best,

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Having a pair of dt250, and listening to classical music, i cna give you a quick rundown of the pros and cons here, as i use the Dts to listen to music before I sleep.

1: if youre looking to lie on the bed and use the 250s, they might slip off your head. another problem is the power it needs. for these headphones to perform at their best, they would work best with an amp. otherwise all you might get is some very soft music, and you'll feel something is lacking.
2: where the Dts perform is in classical music. with their general treble bias, if youre looking for something that works by bringing a performace hall in, the Dts might be a wonderful choice. but the best that these work in, is for piano and harp music. dont go looking for deep heavy bass rubles in these though. you won't get them

having used the 250s for over 3 years now, and being a classical muic fan as well, I can safetly tell you that the 250s will be a good investment, if youre looking for a pair of headphoens that perform well with a range of music. they are also extremly durable, and most of the parts are interchangable, not to mention its fairly easy to tweak. so if you do want, do take a good look at the 250s, but keep in mind you need a amp for it to perform at its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back