Closed Cans w/ Decent Bass & Great Soundstage? <$300
Jul 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Dice Cat

New Head-Fier
I was planning on buying an Ultrasone Pro900 for a while, since I listened to a friend of mine's Pro750 and ADORED the sound. The cheapest pair I can find is currently 400 bucks, so I'm changing my search up and I'm going to invest in something cheaper to satisfy me until I can afford the Pro900... Or something else. Whatever I change my mind to. :p

I definitely want bass to be prevalent, but I'm not exactly a basshead, so I don't want it to be screaming/pounding in my ear. I want more of a "hey, how ya doin? here i am!" rather than a "HAI GUUUUUUUUYSSSSS!!!!" kinda bass. (Sorry for the silly example, but that's the best way I can describe it.) Now I know what you're thinking. The Pro900 I want is said to be a very bassy can. Well, I was planning on tweaking that via modding. Besides, I'd rather have too much bass than nonexistent, anorexic bass. Soundstage is more important to me, though. My budget is the $90-$300 range. I want the best soundstage I can get for about that. I prefer to stay in the 90-250 bracket, though. 300 would be a stretch atm.

For reference, I have a HFI-550 that I think sounds... okay. It's better with electronica, pop, and classical than it is with rock. I want a can that'll handle all genres of music decently. My music tastes are pretty varied. I like everything except country and rap, pretty much. I have a lot of j-pop, industrial metal, classical and gothic-ish dark wave music. A few examples:

Over the Clouds - Alan (The beats in this song are a good example of the kind of semi-techno pop-ish music I mostly like)

Adagio - Secret Garden (Classical)

Any songs by Dunkelschoen, Faun, or Medieval Baebes (These all do New Age-ish Folk music)

Any songs by Eisbrecher (Industrial)

Yousei Teikoku and Ali-Project (J-Pop/Gothic Rock Ballads)

Here are some cans that I'm currently considering:

Beyer DT660

ATH-Pro700

HFI-780

Pro550 or Pro750

Ease of portability isn't necessarily an issue, but I just thought I'd point out that I will be using these in public. Nothing serious, just walking around or on the bus. Maybe to class. Y'know, casual.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 24
Consider the Ultrasone Pro 550.  It was my favorite Electronica headphone. It has more bass quantity than the 650 and the 750. The clarity is still spectacular for the level of bass impact it has... That headphone is making want to make the jump to the 900.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 24
Pro 750s or Pro 650s can be had in the FS forum for sub $200. I believe there are a couple in the FS forum right now. Or consider what some of the cans wind said. He has a bit more experience with Ultrasone models than I do.

I personally found the DT770/80 to be lacking for music especially in regards to the mids (read not good for rock) coupled with overpowering and boomy bass. That being said I still have a pair as they do a great job with movies and gaming. I'll be selling my extra pair of DT770s soon if you're interested.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 24
Ah, okay. I'm taking the DT770 Pro off my list then and putting Pro550/750 instead. Thanks for reminding me of the FS forum, NapalmK. There's a nice price on a Pro750 in there. I may or may not possibly jump on that.

And, of course, I'm definitely not necessarily sticking to that list. Those are just a few cans I picked out (based on research) because I liked the prices on them. I appreciate any additional recommendations!

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
I would not consider the DT-770.

IMO, they definitely have a "haiii guys" type of bass.

LOL, I now get what you mean, I auditioned them before and did not like their bass sig too.

The HFI-780 is a solid choice, that would fit your needs based on what you posted. I would also add the Beyerdynamic DT 150 (about $240 brand new, cheaper if used) which I feel has incredibly taut and articulate bass that's definitely "there" but doesn't impose upon the other frequencies. The soundstage is also sufficiently wide enough to not sound closed-in. They do look a bit too clunky for portable use though (plus they need an amp) - the cable is a tad too long.

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 24
Jul 5, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
Could you stretch your budget a little more? It will be worth it because then you won't be worrying about why you bought PRO 750 (if you do) instead of PRO 900. http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-PRO900-PRO-900-PROFESSIONAL-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/310231165159?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item483b37e8e7#ht_2346wt_911

People have gotten them for as little as $290. Just submit your best offer and see what price you end up getting them for.

No way man.  Don't order one yet......  Don't tell anybody about it. I'm warning you.  It's mine.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 24
Haha he has plenty. This 'deal' has been on for months.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 24
Maybe d2000 + J$ pads(imo, since I don't have many closed cans to compare it to)

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Could you stretch your budget a little more? It will be worth it because then you won't be worrying about why you bought PRO 750 (if you do) instead of PRO 900. http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-PRO900-PRO-900-PROFESSIONAL-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/310231165159?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item483b37e8e7#ht_2346wt_911

People have gotten them for as little as $290. Just submit your best offer and see what price you end up getting them for.

Damn. Very, very tempted. The best he's taking is $375.

Jul 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 24
I have the DT770/600 ohm and I prefer these to the Pro900 I had- better mids. Bass on the Pro900 is very nice but I did not like much else. The DT770/600 are warmish sounding compared to the Pro900 IMO (I have the Pro650 as well). It needs a lot of power via an amp. These are $200 new from B&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back