Closed can for Folky/Acoustic/Jam band type music.
Sep 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bombora

New Head-Fier
I've went through a bunch of like threads on others looking for like minded cans. I think I'm looking for something a little specific though. I'm looking for a closed can that would help with these types of genre's. However, I also do like quite a bit of reggae and also Jamband type stuff that is very much reggae influenced. Bass is also a must. I have and love the sound of my Grado225i. I wish Grado would just give in a make a closed back can, but then I guess you wouldn't really be buying a Grado now would you. I need something more for commuting, no amp wanted, so a can that has a low ohm would be great also. I've looked around at Grado's , AKG, Senn and also some beyer but nothing has really stuck out at me, and ones that I have seen being recommended have been open back. If anyone has something or wants to suggest something that they think I might like please just throw it out there. Also I don't mind spending up to around $400. I was even thinking of a Mod, like a can at Moon Audio with an upgrade in the cable. Anything you got, throw it at me. Thanks guys/girls.

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 8
I use the Beyer DT 880 and listen to a lot of James McMurtry, Chris Knight, Steve Earle, Grateful Dead and the Jerry Garcia & David Grisman variations. So they sound wonderful with folk and bluegrass.
They are a semi open can though. They don't leak a lot of sound at the volumes I listen at, but YMMV.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I've been looking at the Beyer DT 770 32ohms which I can get with the Blue Dragon cable from Moon Audio for around $400. I've read a bunch of good reviews on the 770 too. I wonder how much of a difference the Blue Dragon cable would make on a 32ohm can. Still looking, I have no idea what I want.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I was going to mention the SRH840's. 
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Pro900, ES10, Z1000, SRH940 and JVC HA-MX10.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Ok, I'm interested. Can anyone back this up ?

If you want a very clean and detailed sound with vivid vocals go for it, they're great headphones. I think they're a little shy in the midbass, but the lower bass is about where it should be, and it has great extension. Overall it's a very flat response but tilted upwards slightly.

The srh840s will sound less like your Grados, but should still work with the stuff you listen to. Next to the 940s they have a rounder frequency response, so bassier and more lush sounding, but still very detailed. To me they have exactly as much bass that you can put in a headphone without overwhelming the midrange. The 940 on the other hand have as much treble you can put in without overwhelming the midrange or sounding abrasive.

The KNS 6400 and AKG 271 might be close to what you're looking for as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back