Closed basshead headphone suggestions? <$1000
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #77 of 153
Basshead closed-back headphones that I can recommend from my experience:

Focal Spirit One S - Maybe not worthy of the "basshead" adjective, but still a great thick sound with punchy bass. The rest is linear. My favourite on the go headphones.
Meze 99 Classics / Noir with Yaxi stPad2 - More balanced sound than with the gen.2 (normal) pads. Authoritative bass, clear treble and midrange. Soundstage still small for me.
Shure SRH1540 - Big bass and the rest is dead neutral. Big soundstage. Very comfy cans with great build and premium materials. The oval alcantara pads are wonderful.
Sony MDR-Z7 - Big bass, with much better balance than Sony MDR-1A. Big soundstage. Very comfy cans with great build. Absolutely premium materials. High-end feeling.
Final Sonorous III + Final A pads - My favourite closed backs. The most sophisticated sound from this list. Massive bass slam, big soundstage, great balance, very detailed cans.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #78 of 153
I've taken a second listen to the Kennerton Magni before they are going back.

They got significantly better compared to my Leckerton Audio UHA6S.MKII now on Topping E30+L30. The soundstage is incredible, I gotta give them that.

The mid/treble is crisp and goes well with the precise soundstage that enlightens details in panning effects I haven't experienced with my old pair.

It doesn't seem as tonally shifted as before, but it is quite bright "clap/acoustics"-sounding still even with EQ on.

I might be nitpicking, I can see these are excellent headphones for the price and they will win the heart of someone who isn't a ruined basshead like me, someone who prefers great mids and highs. What I miss most in these is the "tunnel" bassroom from Ultrasone Pro 900, the slam and punch whenever there's a drop is way brighter of course and that kind of puts a more "acoustic" feel to them. The subbass is there and the midbass is going strong, but the excellent room of good basscannons they lack imho. I haven't heard enough headphones to say whether these are "too bright" I guess.. It depends.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #81 of 153
I see the OP has yet to make up his mind on his next closed back basshead headphone, lol. It's always good to take your time and do lots of research before parting with your cash, even when the expense is no object. Always a wise idea to conduct plenty of research pre purchase. If I may add something of a physics hint/tip, to help out,- bigger headphone transducers (or drivers), particularly in dynamic type headphones, tend to emit larger quantities of bass than headphones with average/small sized transducers, due to the larger surface area of the transducers, there is more flexible material for the voice coil to work with and more air for it to utilise, so headphones with 50mm transducers and larger, will emit larger quantities of bass even if their overall sound signature is balanced. There are a few extremely well designed headphones with average sized transducers (40mm) that do output large quantities of bass, such as the B&W P9 Signature and of course the Ultrasone P900 (I think the transducers in the P900 are around 45mm - 47mm). The transducers in the B&W P9 Signature where developed and engineered in-house by B&W engineers, they designed it from scratch, using a revolutionary new voice coil design and the fibonacci sequence pattern on the material the transducers are made of, this enabled the 40mm transducers in the P9 Signature to output the same levels of bass as headphones with much bigger transducers, but also allowed for clarity in the mids and high frequencies. I stand by my recommendation of the P9 Signature.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #82 of 153
I see the OP has yet to make up his mind on his next closed back basshead headphone, lol. It's always good to take your time and do lots of research before parting with your cash, even when the expense is no object. Always a wise idea to conduct plenty of research pre purchase. If I may add something of a physics hint/tip, to help out,- bigger headphone transducers (or drivers), particularly in dynamic type headphones, tend to emit larger quantities of bass than headphones with average/small sized transducers, due to the larger surface area of the transducers, there is more flexible material for the voice coil to work with and more air for it to utilise, so headphones with 50mm transducers and larger, will emit larger quantities of bass even if their overall sound signature is balanced. There are a few extremely well designed headphones with average sized transducers (40mm) that do output large quantities of bass, such as the B&W P9 Signature and of course the Ultrasone P900 (I think the transducers in the P900 are around 45mm - 47mm). The transducers in the B&W P9 Signature where developed and engineered in-house by B&W engineers, they designed it from scratch, using a revolutionary new voice coil design and the fibonacci sequence pattern on the material the transducers are made of, this enabled the 40mm transducers in the P9 Signature to output the same levels of bass as headphones with much bigger transducers, but also allowed for clarity in the mids and high frequencies. I stand by my recommendation of the P9 Signature.
Have you owned or heard the H6 2nd generation? Just curious how the tuning of the P9 compares, other than the bass.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #83 of 153
Have you owned or heard the H6 2nd generation? Just curious how the tuning of the P9 compares, other than the bass.
Would that be the Bang and Olufsen H6 you are referring to? if so, I have only heard/owned the first gen H6, and the P9 Signature is in another league altogether, imho. P9 Signature sounded like summit fi, to my ears. The P9 really does have bass to rival the likes of the Fostex biocellulose headphones, imo, except without the bloated-ness. I liked the H6 when it came out around 2013/2014, and at the time I was amazed by it, I thought it was a really neutral, balanced headphone I think it was one of the first to have angled drivers/transducers. But it can't produce anywhere near the amount of bass that the P9 Signature can. Add to that that imaging and soundstage (P9 Signature has angled drivers/transducers too) are much better on the P9 Signature too. To me, the H6 first gen I had was like a closed back Sennheiser HD600; very neutral, balanced, detailed and crisp, clear high frequencies, one of those friendly headphones that has a tuning to suite most peoples tastes, whereas the P9 Signature was like a ferrari in comparison,- even clearer across the whole frequency spectrum, with even more detail in the bass, mids and highs, but a warmer tuning (whilst still sounding well balanced). The bass of the P9 Signature is imo not overbearing to the rest of it's frequency spectrum (the mids and highs).

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #84 of 153
Would that be the Bang and Olufsen H6 you are referring to? if so, I have only heard/owned the first gen H6, and the P9 Signature is in another league altogether, imho. P9 Signature sounded like summit fi, to my ears. The P9 really does have bass to rival the likes of the Fostex biocellulose headphones, imo, except without the bloated-ness. I liked the H6 when it came out around 2013/2014, and at the time I was amazed by it, I thought it was a really neutral, balanced headphone I think it was one of the first to have angled drivers/transducers. But it can't produce anywhere near the amount of bass that the P9 Signature can. Add to that that imaging and soundstage (P9 Signature has angled drivers/transducers too) are much better on the P9 Signature too. To me, the H6 first gen was like a closed back Sennheiser HD600.
Yes, the H6 is rather neutral. It's honestly one of the best closed backs I've heard under 500 dollars, and I've owned several. The lower mids need some EQ work, but the headphones respond well. I'm not a basshead, but I do appreciate a little extra thump. I'm also not a fan of ANC or Bluetooth listening. I had my H6 modded, so I can now use them balanced.

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #85 of 153
No, I don't own those headphones, I would not recommend something I don't own or haven't heard my self.

What I was trying to explain to you was people have different sources and audio thru them varies, plus the amplifier too, and after reading thru your thread I came to the conclusion that maybe the SONY MDR Z1R which has the same 70mm driver as the Sony MDR-XB1000 but tuned for more than just bass, 4 Hz–120,000 Hz Vs. XB1000 Frequency Response of 2 Hz-30,000Hz. If you don't mind used headphones, there are some on ebay being sold right now for no more than 500 USD. Here's a link Sony XB1000.
Here's a silly demonstration of what they do (if amped and EQ bass)SONY MDR XB1000 :

And here is one of the SONY MDR Z1R:

And the Campfire Cascade was another recommend I though would help, punchy bass and its a recommended basshead headphone from what I know as is less expensive at $799 USD with 42mm Beryllium Drivers.

Good luck in your search!

Well, the MDR-XB1000 is, indeed, a fiend in the lower registers. The lows have sufficient impact and extends very well into the sub-bass. Sadly, that's about it, though. The highs are muted, smooth, and lacking in articulation, air, and sparkle. The midrange fares a little better, but it is hampered by an overall lack of resolution, resulting in slightly muffled vocals. The OP mentioned that he wanted an upgrade from the PRO 900; IMO, the MDR-XB1000 is, sadly, not it.

The Campfire Audio Cascade, on the other hand, is the better option - it has an exciting signature reminiscent of the Ultrasone, but takes it a step further in certain technical aspects, such as detail retrieval and instrument separation.

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #87 of 153
I have ordered Cascade Audio Cascade, BASScade BASScannons.

Now I hope they are my taste :) But I have a feeling.. Listening to the CEO explain their low-mid focus and Z-Review and other youtube reviewers praise them as fun and more entertaining than some of the higher end more neutral headphones made me more convinced.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #88 of 153
Great basshead headphone on its price level:
Sennheiser Momentum 2 (Around-Ear version)

sennheiser-momentum-2.jpg

Light, comfy oval leather earpads and stylish metal headband. It needs a nice amp for deep, layered bass notes and bass slam. Midrange and treble response is quite flat.
IMO in factory condition it is a much better headphone than the Meze 99 Classics or Noir. The Meze can be improved a lot with Yaxi stPad2 earpads.

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #90 of 153
>$1000 category since some mentioned the FOSTEX TH900...
E496EEC7-F9CA-4FEB-ABFD-C65C00F92B1C.jpeg

The GH50 Mk2 for me is one of the tightest bass hp I ever came across thanks to the Kennerton Original designs- I was able to mod and managed to extract every last ounce of full range detail and tight non bloaty bass - hell yea I am biased cause its my mod but the others who own it all say the same (really they do)

And I would say for just pure rip your head off BASS euphoria on acid and little else in the detail dept I would say Spirit Torino for closed backs and for a bit more detail and insane rip your head off ("FINISH HIM" style) try a set of Spirit Cuffie Valkyria - these are probably the heavy weights in bass to rule them all period...

IMG_4996.jpg
Untitleed.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back