Closed basshead headphone suggestions? <$1000
Oct 11, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 153
If people are trying to get the th-x00 then just order the emu teaks. They're practically the same thing, there is virtually no difference in the sound. I have both cans with the emu rosewood, ebony, purple heart cups. You can order them from the email website they run about $500 depending if you want a detachable cable or not, but very much worth it.

http://www.emu.com/order.html

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #32 of 153
If people are trying to get the th-x00 then just order the emu teaks. They're practically the same thing, there is virtually no difference in the sound. I have both cans with the emu rosewood, ebony, purple heart cups. You can order them from the email website they run about $500 depending if you want a detachable cable or not, but very much worth it.

Not exactly the same. The mids aren't as scooped with the Teaks, and the treble isn't as hot.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #33 of 153

I know this is someone else's thread, but thanks for posting this and the link to the order page, I did not know about the E-MU Teaks and i'd be very interested in them. It would probably cost me between £500 - £550 (around $480 - the same price I paid back in 2016 for the TH-X00 Purpleheart) including import tax and delivery, but still seems like a good price, given the cost of the current TH900, lol. I'd be interested to find out if the E-MU Teak sounds closer to the old Fostex/Denon AH-D series (AH-D2000/5000/7000 compared to the TH-X00 Purpleheart I had, which was too extreme for my liking. Thanks for sharing!

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #34 of 153
Grab the Kennerton Magni. It sounds significantly better than any Fostex or Fostex variation. Excellent sub and mid bass without all the typical mess that bass heavy closed backs often present. I've owned the TH-610, D7200, and E-mu Teaks. Not even close imo. More musical, better clarity, more detailed, and not V shaped. You can also look at the Kennerton headphones from Underwood Hifi. A little less expensive, and will ship anywhere I believe.
I'm interested in what you said about the Magni, I can see I can order them from https://kennerton.org in euros.

They seem to "only" have a 15hz as lowest frequency response (but I don't think human ears can even hear that). Graphene driver for better or worse.

Have you tried listening to electronic music / dnb with them?
Have you tried EQ'ing them?

Not more costly than other options considering the E-MU Teak can be imported and still be the same cost (677 USD, 4385kr) that might even be cheaper than AH-D7200 or TH610 and the E-MU teak should be better than both.

But if the small extra cost for Magni is worth it I will go with it. I just need a little more convincing :)

It seems like they are described as very bright, very neutral on the low-end.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #35 of 153
I'm interested in what you said about the Magni, I can see I can order them from https://kennerton.org in euros.

They seem to "only" have a 15hz as lowest frequency response (but I don't think human ears can even hear that). Graphene driver for better or worse.

Have you tried listening to electronic music / dnb with them?

Not more costly than other options considering the E-MU Teak can be imported and still be the same cost (677 USD, 4385kr) that might even be cheaper than AH-D7200 or TH610 and the E-MU teak should be better than both.

But if the small extra cost for Magni is worth it I will go with it. I just need a little more convincing :)

It seems like they are described as very bright, very neutral on the low-end.
They are a touch bright in the upper mids - lower treble. The mids are great, mildly forward, which is a good thing imo. The sub and mid bass hit harder than the Teaks. It's also faster and more layered. If you're looking for a basshead can that isn't V shaped, these are the best I've personally heard. The Teaks sounded significantly more neutral in the low end to my ears. Maybe I had a bogus set 🤷‍♂️

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #36 of 153
They are a touch bright in the upper mids - lower treble. The mids are great, mildly forward, which is a good thing imo. The sub and mid bass hit harder than the Teaks. It's also faster and more layered. If you're looking for a basshead can that isn't V shaped, these are the best I've personally heard. The Teaks sounded significantly more neutral in the low end to my ears. Maybe I had a bogus set 🤷‍♂️
Interesting.. Major-Hifi described them as very neutral

(Low-end discussion timestamp)

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #37 of 153

Not even remotely. Watch the review from Soundnews. He hit the nail on the head, which lead me to the purchase. If you want a basshead closed back, the Teaks aren't it. Go for the Cascades if that's your primary need. Especially if you want a V shaped signature, which is typically the case with bass heavy closed backs.

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #38 of 153
Not even remotely. Watch the review from Soundnews. He hit the nail on the head, which lead me to the purchase. If you want a basshead closed back, the Teaks aren't it. Go for the Cascades if that's your primary need. Especially if you want a V shaped signature, which is typically the case with bass heavy closed backs.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #39 of 153
Hi guys. I am looking to replace my Ultrasone Pro 900 which have served me well, but now does not impress me the same way they used to. I have a Leckerton Audio UHA6S.MKII to go with it.

Max $1000, but a great deal is a great deal and I don't wanna spend 4x the money on a small difference.

Clarity in the highs and mids is super important to me as is detail, dynamics.. the punchy, thumby, wonky bass that comes with dnb.

I'm quite sure it should be closed headphones because of electronics noise and fans in the background often from PCs.

I'm ordering from EU so I can't get overseas (American) stuff.. I prefer not to due to high $25 customs fee + tariffs. I paid quite a premium for my amp because of that.

Anything that can be ordered from https://pricerunner.dk or danish websites https://hifi-freaks.dk or the like is also ok! Right now they are short on closed headphones tho, I did consider the Quad ERA-1 but I believe the openness is not for me.
You may want to try the Bowers & Wilkins P9 and P7.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #40 of 153

Those aren't neutral at all. Major Hifi reviews are vague and make no sense most of the time.
As the fellow forumer Mhog55 said, the Magnis are coloured headphones but they are different from the typical V shaped headphones with boosted bass and highs. Magnis got a bass boost but bass remains very clean with present mids and decent treble extension. Id call them balanced but defo not neutral.

Bass slam and dynamics could be a bit overwhelming at first but they are a pleasure once you get used to it.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #45 of 153
Like mentioned before headphones from Fostex and Denon are quite safe choices for bassheads. I also remember Audioquest Nightowl having quite tasteful bass response but they might be hard to find nowadays since they're discontinued.

If you're in a need for portable bassheadcan I would say look no further than V-Moda M100. Those have been my on-the-go-faves for almost two years now. Not so "audiophile" but for listening electronics and other bass oriented music just for the fun of it they're unbeatable. :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back