Closed-back's for gaming and portable music - Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohm vs Yamaha PRO 500
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tcgc

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Since you all have great amount of experience on any type of headphones, perhaps you might help a fellow who:

1. Plays xbox 360 in general with big love and special effects, i.e. not only foot-step oriented FPS player;
  2. Listens to bassy two-step, garage, dubstep music through ipod mostly;
  3. Needs no sound leakage and great isolation characteristics;
  4. Would like to buy a FiiO amplifier, perhaps E11.

So far I've read good amount of reviews and numerous posts about dozens of closed backs and I came to this:

1. Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohm;
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50;
  3. Ultrasone PRO 900;
  4. Yamaha PRO 500;
  5. V-Moda M-100;
  6. AKG K-550.

After spending lots of hours I came to conclusion of getting DT-770's because of overall quality, including big soundstage, punchy bass and nice comments for gaming purposes.
Even thou, before getting those I saw new Yamaha PRO 500's, and wasn't convinced by the looks as general public tended to think about Beats resemblance but reviewers were hyped up about them pretty naturally. Since we are talking about portable music through iPod without an amp, Yamaha's looking good but how are they in comparison to DT-770's?

Pricetag goes almost up to twice in this comparison but I like PRO 500 for the looks and DT-770 for authority.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 4
MY preference among those for bass-heavy music is the M-100, but they're more than $100 more expensive than the DT 770. The DT 770 should suit you fine, it's a set of cans that have a v-shaped sound signature, but do a lot of genres well. Soundstage is decent for a closed headphone, but it's more than enough for localizing sound while gaming. Get them, and get the Fiio E11 when you can. Enjoy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
MY preference among those for bass-heavy music is the M-100, but they're more than $100 more expensive than the DT 770. The DT 770 should suit you fine, it's a set of cans that have a v-shaped sound signature, but do a lot of genres well. Soundstage is decent for a closed headphone, but it's more than enough for localizing sound while gaming. Get them, and get the Fiio E11 when you can. Enjoy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

If comfort is of any concern, forget about the Yamaha.

Okay, got it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back