Closed back options
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jpfrog

New Head-Fier
Slightly odd request here- I'm looking for a new set of headphones but need them to be closed back as I'll use them for travel sometimes but the majority of use will be at work or in my home (either home office or sitting around in the living room while keeping an eye on the kids).

At work, I have a TEAC UD-301 amp/dac that I run my Macbook Pro through and plug in phones to the TEAC.

At home, in my office, my main processor is a Marantz AV7703 and run all sorts of components through it (Oppo Blu-ray, Apple 4k, etc). My living room has an Onkyo TX-NR709 and similar components as the home office.

For portable use, I have a TEAC HA-P50 and am considering picking up either the Sony PHA-1 or the Oppo, but will probably stick with the TEAC.

Current headphones are Grado RS2e and Sennheiser Momentum on-ears, but my 4 year old may be inheriting the Senns as they are perfect size for his little ears. I was considering picking up the Sennheiser HD600 or 650, or something from the Beyer DT880 line, but I think I probably need to focus on closed back for now.

I'm looking to stay under $400 if possible for some closed back headphones that will really benefit from being amped, either desktop or portable. I prefer full-size headphones, too, since majority of the use will be on a stationary listening position plugged into the above mentioned gear, and the little travel that I do will not suffer from big headphones.

Thoughts?

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 15
Slightly odd request here- I'm looking for a new set of headphones but need them to be closed back as I'll use them for travel sometimes but the majority of use will be at work or in my home (either home office or sitting around in the living room while keeping an eye on the kids).

At work, I have a TEAC UD-301 amp/dac that I run my Macbook Pro through and plug in phones to the TEAC.

At home, in my office, my main processor is a Marantz AV7703 and run all sorts of components through it (Oppo Blu-ray, Apple 4k, etc). My living room has an Onkyo TX-NR709 and similar components as the home office.

For portable use, I have a TEAC HA-P50 and am considering picking up either the Sony PHA-1 or the Oppo, but will probably stick with the TEAC.

Current headphones are Grado RS2e and Sennheiser Momentum on-ears, but my 4 year old may be inheriting the Senns as they are perfect size for his little ears. I was considering picking up the Sennheiser HD600 or 650, or something from the Beyer DT880 line, but I think I probably need to focus on closed back for now.

I'm looking to stay under $400 if possible for some closed back headphones that will really benefit from being amped, either desktop or portable. I prefer full-size headphones, too, since majority of the use will be on a stationary listening position plugged into the above mentioned gear, and the little travel that I do will not suffer from big headphones.

Thoughts?
Meze 99 Classic, B&W P7 wired are 2 of my favorites

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 15
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 15
Check out Mod House Audio Argon.
A new pair can be had for just under $300.

Note: These headphones put an emphasis on bass and soundstage.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Hd820 ? New and hot and closed back, and Senn...enough said

Those would be great- want to send me a pair to review?:gs1000smile:

On a whim at my local shop I listened to the NAD HP50 and the PSB M4U-1. At about $170, I liked the PSB enough to give it a try. I’m a bit worried about the plastic band, and I’d like to see about a replacement 3.5mm cable as the included cables aren’t that impressive, but overall I liked it for an experiment pair of headphones.

The BW P7 really intrigues me but I don’t have a place to preview it, as does the MD mh40...there are really way too many options out there!

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Meze 99 classic or Neo.
I cannot possibly recommend these enough.
They also have a 20% off discount (CanJam special) until the 20th of this month.
If interested, heres the promo code....
CANJAMNYC2018
Can’t beat this deal!

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 15
Meze 99 classic or Neo.
I cannot possibly recommend these enough.
They also have a 20% off discount (CanJam special) until the 20th of this month.
If interested, heres the promo code....
CANJAMNYC2018
Can’t beat this deal!

Several mentions of the Meze 99. Those look great and I may get those as well. I really like the classic but the price of the neo is hard to pass on.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 15
Several mentions of the Meze 99. Those look great and I may get those as well. I really like the classic but the price of the neo is hard to pass on.
I have the Neo too and I like them just as
much as the classics. I believe that’s right at $200 new out the door (+tax) for the Neo’s.

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 15
The classics really are the best deal under $400 outside of Audio Technica M40x which is fantastic at it's price point. Then you have to jump to $800 for MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Just purchased the Meze 99 classic and all I can say is WOW. These things are amazing! Paid $ 250 brand new on amazon/ebay seller. I cannot believe how good these are. I am in the process of selling off all my super expensive/less used headphones and got these as I have heard great things. All I can say--I am selling my Focal Utopia.Noble encore and Shure 1540s----no longer listen to them and I have some medical bills to pay.
The 99 make up for the loss-----yes, they are that good.
Obviously not as good as the $ 3,000 Utopias but for 10% of the cost I can honestly say these are 90% as good---yep.
Do not hesitate--these are the best value I have ever heard---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back