Closed Back Home Office Recommendations
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Hemlocke

Head-Fier
I work mostly from home, and my wife’s home office (100% WFH) is next to mine in our new house. Before, she was across the house, and even then the constant teleconferencing and speakerphone because she doesn’t like using headphones drove me crazy.

I use AirPods Pro 2, but I would like something closed back that I can plug into my Schiit Hel 2 and not worry about charging.

I have owned a couple pair of Grados (Hard passes), Audeze Penrose (Meh), Audeze LCD-2 (Good), and pre-pandemic Hifiman HE-400i (Not bad for price), but I’m kind of a headphone noob other than that. I am older and listen to a wide variety of music. I really don’t want to spend more than $500.

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 27
What type of sound signature would you say you're looking for? V-shaped, neutral, warm? How important is soundstage? Comfort?

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 27
What type of sound signature would you say you're looking for? V-shaped, neutral, warm? How important is soundstage? Comfort?
Comfort is a big priority for me. I spend eight to ten hours a day at my desk and I’ll listen to music as much of that time as I can stand or a charge will last with my APP2. I also have a larger head, so it’s a consideration.

I prefer a warm sound, but I’m really not so well-versed in all of this that I have hard preferences. My exposure is very limited because money was an issue for most of my life. Same for soundstage, but I did like the open-backed LCD-2 and HE-400i. I just don’t want to force my wife to listen to my music, which is why I want a closed back.

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 27
I'm going to recommend you try the Sivga Robin from Amazon and return it if you don't like it. Very comfortable, warm sound, sells for $150 with 10% off right now. Fits a large head and pads are nice and plush.

There are better closed backs technically, but for this price and level of comfort, this one is tough to beat if you enjoy the sound signature.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 27
The AKG K371 wired is a safe bet we have one and really easy to take off and put on during the day. The Beyerdynamic Drop DT177X is well rounded and comfortable. The hyperx Cloud Orbit is another we've got, planar magnetic Audeze drivers and detachable mic made by Shure.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 27
If I went with gamer-centric, I would probably try the Maxwell because the Penrose sounded goof but it had awful battery life.

The Dropx Beyerdynamic DT 177X, as well as the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and DT 1770 Pro, are intriguing, but people seem to complain a lot about the treble, which would not be great for me.

Food for thought. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 27
Warmer sound signature yet technical fun and easy to listen to ? I think if you can hunt for good deal on D7200 it would be one of the best bets. Got mine new for less than 400$ and I owned D9200 as well but while being slightly more technical it can get hot in treble and demand for attention to much.

I went through majority headphone brands and now my collection consists only 2 pair's. When I want technical finesse I go for Utopia, but D7200 takes about 80% of my play time. Technically it is not that far off from Utopia while being in closed back form and on top of that timbre, bass and fun factor works in favor for D7200

Oct 11, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 27
Warmer sound signature yet technical fun and easy to listen to ? I think if you can hunt for good deal on D7200 it would be one of the best bets. Got mine new for less than 400$ and I owned D9200 as well but while being slightly more technical it can get hot in treble and demand for attention to much.

I went through majority headphone brands and now my collection consists only 2 pair's. When I want technical finesse I go for Utopia, but D7200 takes about 80% of my play time. Technically it is not that far off from Utopia while being in closed back form and on top of that timbre, bass and fun factor works in favor for D7200

Yes but comfort. One of my favorite headphones but it's uncomfortable for many.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 27
I'm going to recommend you try the Sivga Robin from Amazon and return it if you don't like it. Very comfortable, warm sound, sells for $150 with 10% off right now. Fits a large head and pads are nice and plush.

There are better closed backs technically, but for this price and level of comfort, this one is tough to beat if you enjoy the sound signature.

I personally couldn't stand the Sivga Robin, but many other people seem to like it, so worth trying I guess.

My recommendation would be the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b, and then buy some cheap, comfy pads from Aliexpress.

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 27
I personally couldn't stand the Sivga Robin, but many other people seem to like it, so worth trying I guess.

My recommendation would be the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b, and then buy some cheap, comfy pads from Aliexpress.
I take it you chose the ATH-MSR7b over the DT-700 Pro X? I was looking at the DT 770 Pro, but people’s opinions on the treble in Beyerdynamic headphones terrify me. ATH-MSR7b has been on my radar, as I trust the Audio Technica name (Same for Beyer).

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 27
I take it you chose the ATH-MSR7b over the DT-700 Pro X? I was looking at the DT 770 Pro, but people’s opinions on the treble in Beyerdynamic headphones terrify me. ATH-MSR7b has been on my radar, as I trust the Audio Technica name (Same for Beyer).
Yes, I was considering the 700 pro as well but ended up buying the AT's instead. My main complaints with them were:
  • The included cables are comically short and insanely microphonic, so I ended up buying a replacement from Aliexpress
  • The stock pads are rather small, and (for my ears at least) couldn't decide if they wanted to be on-ear or over-ear. Again, Aliexpress to the rescue and the larger pads had the added benefit of boosting the bass which (in my opinion) improves the overall sound signature
In truth, I don't listen to closed-back that much so the AT's haven't been seeing much use, but I still enjoy them when I do pull them off the rack.

As for Beyerdynamic, I can only speak to the DT-880 (600 ohm version), of which I am a huge fan. But the 880 has the reputation of being the least "peaky" among their siblings.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 27
Yes, I was considering the 700 pro as well but ended up buying the AT's instead. My main complaints with them were:
  • The included cables are comically short and insanely microphonic, so I ended up buying a replacement from Aliexpress
  • The stock pads are rather small, and (for my ears at least) couldn't decide if they wanted to be on-ear or over-ear. Again, Aliexpress to the rescue and the larger pads had the added benefit of boosting the bass which (in my opinion) improves the overall sound signature
In truth, I don't listen to closed-back that much so the AT's haven't been seeing much use, but I still enjoy them when I do pull them off the rack.
I would prefer an open-back headphone, but my wife's office is literally separated from mine by a single wall and our doors are next to each other. This isn't solely for her, as I want the isolation from her frequent teleconferences. I'll take another look at the ATs. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 27
Also consider the Hifiman HE-R9 with a decently in-depth review:

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-r9.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-he-r9-closed-back-headphones/

If you feel like the bass is too strong and would be willing to put dynamat in the ear cups to reduce vibration/distortion:

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10425-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Xtreme/dp/B00020CAVA/

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-13100-Dynatape-1-1-30ft/dp/B002WP362U/?th=1

If you want to get a HE-R9 and make it wireless, then you should just also get a free Hifiman Deva Pro as well:

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/deva-pro.html

Lastly, to add more long-term comfort to any Hifiman headband:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Gel-Headband-Protector-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B094Y67C21/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back