Closed-back all-arounder recommendations...
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
Edit: Moved this to the proper thread. Sorry sorry.

---

I'm relatively new to the audiophile world, but have learned much from my short time here. The original reason I was brought here was to get the best audio setup on my PC for competitive gaming. I think I've achieved that. Started with the AD700 and X-Fi Titanium HD, then recently moved to the AKG K702 powered by the FiiO E09K. I couldn't be happier and now I'm thinking about grabbing a good pair of cans for general use. As much as I love (and I do mean LOVE) the AD700 and K702 for gaming, I'm not all that much of a fan of them for music and movies. The more I try out different headphones, the more my tastes are refining and here's what I've learned so far as well as some of the requirements I have for my next cans.

1. I will mostly be using these in my office and, therefore, am looking for a closed-back headphone.
  2. I can power it with an amp and DAC if need be. Currently, I am using the FiiO E07K at work which seems to do quite well with my K702.
  3. I love the soundstage and airiness of the AD700 and K702.
  4. I don't like the polite of bass of the AD700 and, to a lesser extent, the K702 for music and movies.
  5. I like the bass from the DT 990 Pro, but don't consider myself a bass head.
  6. I'd like to spend no more than $300, but if there is something out there worth the price of admission, I'd consider it.
  7. My tastes in music and movies absolutely run the entire gamut. Looking for an all-arounder.
  8. It doesn't have to be portable, but I'd like to to be somewhat visually low key. This is a very low priority, though.

In general, I'm looking for a relatively airy, all-arounder, closed-back headphone that doesn't lack bass (but isn't bass heavy). I was going to start with the DT 770 Pro and go from there. I've also heard great things about the Denon D7000, but that's out of my price range for now. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and see what you'd recommend.

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm probably not going to have a chance to test as many as I'd want to before purchase, so I'm going to rely a little more heavily on your direct feedback for this one.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Perhaps try a pair of AKG K550, Denon AH-D2000, or Sennheiser Momentum.

These are all known to be pretty airy for a closed-back can? I'm also slightly worried the K550 carry over the lack of bass trait found in the K701, K702, and Q701. Is it something to look out for or am I worried for no reason?

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Any thoughts on the DT 770 Pro? Do they seem as though they fit my needs?

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Crapola. I just saw this thread. If I could delete the post, I would. An admin is more than welcomed to. Out of my way people. Noob coming through. Now I'll shut up and move onto the other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back