"Cliques" and "Cliquey Members" on Head-Fi
Apr 16, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #31 of 43
Sean,
Honestly, the thought of "cliques" existing on head-fi was the absolute furthest thing from my mind... ... until you brought it up
biggrin.gif

I would have thought this kind of thinking was left behind in high school, but I guess not. People seem to naturally fall into their own specific categories in life. That is about as far as I'll analyse the idea of "cliques."

edit: Actually, the more I think about it, all of head-fi is one big "clique." Simple as that! At least that's the way I see it.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #32 of 43
Completely OT, but I'd like to mention, the game Lemmings was one of my favorites of all time. I'm very proud of having finished all the levels. So far I haven't met anyone else that has achieved this very important life milestone
tongue.gif

I remember at some point Lemmings 2 was released, I hardly played that one though, but after that never heard again about this wonderful game.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #33 of 43
Just from reading some of the amusing responses :-

[size=medium]THANK GOD THEY TOOK DOWN CI AND TIO !!!!
eek.gif
[/size]

ha ha ha...

Men will always be boys
very_evil_smiley.gif

I loved the Lemmings game too...I sucked at it!!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #34 of 43
Fanboy cliques are the only ones that bother me occasionally, and those seem to have died down considerably. I'll readily admit that I could be accused of being a member of a couple of them, but I've really made an honest effort keep an open mind.

Oh, and wallijohn, I took the time to read your entire list and I thought it was great.
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #35 of 43
Im guilty of this, in a sense that if there is a HD590, XP7 or magwires thread, I will most likely post on it. I have tried a limited number of components & I only want to post about components that I truly know well. I also notice other people posting on threads I usually post on. I hope were not one of those "cliques" Sean was referring to
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #36 of 43
Ha ha, great list wallijohn!
smily_headphones1.gif
You might have missed "Manufacturer Cliques."
wink.gif
That can at times be a biggie.

Hey, again, posting in reply to gear you own is completely natural and it should be that way. That's not quite what I meant. I hate to keep using the "Fanboy" term as I don't want to be offensive because I mean not to offend any member, but it's those that I've picked up on that I find amusing. There's a certain member, or two, who when they post elicits a huge number of replies and it's funny I see the same people reply to their posts even if they have nothing to add but they just have to reply to his post. Just kind of funny. It's a community, there are groups of friends, I know. But sadly I see some of these same indivduals add little to budget threads or threads on gear outside of what they own. There's a subtle but discernable (if you are as sickly observant and analytical as me
wink.gif
) breed of member whom will usually only reply to topics of gear that are of higher dollar, or built by a certain manufacturer(s), or to other members who are like them. Again, that's fine, nothing wrong with it, I still read their threads and I respect them. I just wondered if anybody else had noticed. wallijohn said we're all just friends and I agree, we're just shoot'in the sh$t here and poking some fun at our little community is all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #37 of 43
SeanH said "... I agree, we're just shoot'in the sh$t here and poking some fun at our little community is all."

Not me. I disagree, and I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... because you don't like my brand X headphones.

---

Nice list wallijohn. It would be a wonderful head-fi world if none of us fell into any of those categories that you've described, and each of us were deliciously unpredictable... but I suspect that we all fall into one category or another and have certain proclivities that are annoying to others. I like to read what other folks have to say but often find myself rolling my eyes at certain comments that are repeated ad nauseum, and hope that I'm not having a similar effect on others.

To me, it's all about sharing the joy in music and passion for headphone related aspects of the audio hobby. When it strays far from that (like TIO and CI) my interest dries up in a hurry, but to each is own.

My only other observation is that there is a certain saturation point with head-fi, and when that kicks in, you should try to take a break from it for a while and enjoy some good music with your eyes shut and fingers off the keyboard.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
If you read enough threads you will find that people are often criticized for recommending gear they have never heard. Many times they speak with such authority that a unknowing reader may think that they are getting a recommendation from a long time listener. Not everyone has a lot of equipment and cannot comment with authority on many of the threads. When they do speak up on an item they are familiar with it may appear cliquey but it really isn't.

And then there are those that put down gear they have never heard.

I guess, technically, the Meet forum is kinda "cliquey" if you consider that not everyone can participate, but anyone can post. Although, it's more of a geographic limitation, of course anyone with who can drive, or fly could make it if they wanted to.
wink.gif

But, "Cliques" by definition are exclusive, as in they try to keep some people out of them. Since all the threads here are pretty much open, only the Moderater's Forum is technically a "clique". If you want to call it that.

After all, birds of a feather.....

-Ed

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
But, "Cliques" by definition are exclusive, as in they try to keep some people out of them. Since all the threads here are pretty much open, only the Moderater's Forum is technically a "clique". If you want to call it that.

Good point. "Clique" might have been a poor choice on my part but I think I got the point across. Maybe I should have said I found there to be an interesting "social dynamic" or "social activity" among some members or groups of members. "Clique" often has such a bad conotation, not my intent.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
Not me. I disagree, and I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... because you don't like my brand X headphones.

traurig001.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #42 of 43
Speaking of lemmings, one of my first year law professors opined this in class:

"Law students are attracted to big named firms like lemmings to cliffs."

Ruffled some overachieving rodents... er, I mean students.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
"Law students are attracted to big named firms like lemmings to cliffs."

It's sort of interesting that I have heard claims that lemmings do not rush into the sea as generally thought and that that belief was started by the Disney nature film where they actually drove them off cliffs, but i disgress...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back