"Cliques" and "Cliquey Members" on Head-Fi
post-768131
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 43

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
79
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Posts
2,397
Likes
79
Anybody other than the few who have expressed to me a similar a thing in PM, ever notice there are kind of a few "cliques" and "cliquey people" here at Head-Fi? There are just those individuals who will only post on certain subjects, regarding their favorite gear, in reply to their favorite people and so forth? Nothing wrong with supporting discussions about gear you like or are fond of, obviously, or for whatever reason, but I'm seeing certain patterns emerging with some individuals. And I'm not whining about it I just find it interesting. A certain member starts a thread and I can almost guess who's going to reply to it and at times know what they are even going to say! It's hilarious at times, I even see certain people jump at the chance to say "hey, I agree! Good point!" in reply to that certain person they are "allied with" so as to almost "check-in" with their little group. They want to make sure they know they have a lot of love for them.
Fanboy's, maybe? Ah, I don't want to get offensive here. This is a community and there are going to be things like this as in everyday life. Anybody else?
 
     Share This Post       
post-768141
Post #2 of 43

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Joined
Jan 19, 2002
Messages
8,675
Reaction score
26
Location
The Elm City
Joined
Jan 19, 2002
Location
The Elm City
Posts
8,675
Likes
26
"I agree!"
 
     Share This Post       
post-768150
Post #3 of 43

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Messages
5,730
Reaction score
14
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Posts
5,730
Likes
14
When I post about things I don't like or disagree with...... people yell at me.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768155
Post #4 of 43

DanT

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
1,478
Reaction score
14
Joined
May 1, 2002
Posts
1,478
Likes
14
Well I prefere people that always post about the same gear than people that aggressivly post about thing they nerver heard.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768160
Post #5 of 43

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
9,534
Reaction score
27
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
9,534
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
When I post about things I don't like or disagree with...... people yell at me.


Good thing that never happens to me, LOL!


I notice the cliquey people here as well, it's very annoying, but what can you do?
 
     Share This Post       
post-768161
Post #6 of 43

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Joined
Mar 27, 2002
Messages
5,684
Reaction score
13
Joined
Mar 27, 2002
Posts
5,684
Likes
13
If you read enough threads you will find that people are often criticized for recommending gear they have never heard. Many times they speak with such authority that a unknowing reader may think that they are getting a recommendation from a long time listener. Not everyone has a lot of equipment and cannot comment with authority on many of the threads. When they do speak up on an item they are familiar with it may appear cliquey but it really isn't.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768163
Post #7 of 43

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
14
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Posts
8,384
Likes
14
I hadn't noticed, but will see if it is something going on or not in the future. There will always be people who are friends and show their support of each other, so hopefully that is all it is. If not, no biggie on my end.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768169
Post #8 of 43

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
9,534
Reaction score
27
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
9,534
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
If you read enough threads you will find that people are often criticized for recommending gear they have never heard. Many times they speak with such authority that a unknowing reader may think that they are getting a recommendation from a long time listener. Not everyone has a lot of equipment and cannot comment with authority on many of the threads. When they do speak up on an item they are familiar with it may appear cliquey but it really isn't.


I don't think he meant them. I think that he was referring to those members with packs of lemmings who follow them around head-fi, it's a very odd thing to witness. It's not that really a big deal, until they gang up you, but whatever.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768173
Post #9 of 43

Oddball

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
10
Joined
Oct 10, 2003
Posts
1,861
Likes
10
Cliquey? Well, I do post on a very limited number of subjects, but that's because I have a very limited range of knowledge. I try to post on stuff that I actually know something about or have heard, and most of the stuff I've heard can be found in my sparse profile. But I know what you mean about certain people always replying to posts about certain topics. Like, I've noticed a small group of people (myself included) who seem to hover around Denon PCDP topics. But I wouldn't call it cliquey.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768179
Post #10 of 43

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
79
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Posts
2,397
Likes
79
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I don't think he meant them. I think that he was referring to those members with packs of lemmings who follow them around head-fi, it's a very odd thing to witness. It's not that really a big deal, until they gang up you, but whatever.


Bingo. It is annoying to some degree but that's the way it is with everything. I just find it funny. Packs of lemmings, heh heh, that's perfect actually. People will always post in reply to gear they love or are familiar with, or as John said the only gear they know, which is what we all naturally do but there are others who ally themselves with certain groups of people and gear that goes a bit beyond that. Like KR said, not a big deal, just funny.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768184
Post #11 of 43

Chinchy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
10
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Posts
1,111
Likes
10
How much does it cost to get my own pack of lemmings? Will they make my audio gear sound better? If so, I'll take two.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768189
Post #12 of 43

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
79
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Posts
2,397
Likes
79
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
Like, I've noticed a small group of people (myself included) who seem to hover around Denon PCDP topics. But I wouldn't call it cliquey.


Oh, no. See my previous post. If that consituted what a clique was then my many posts on the Perreaux amp would have made me Grand Master Clique.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768193
Post #13 of 43

Iron_Dreamer

Member of the Trade: HeadAmp
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
Joined
Mar 28, 2003
Messages
9,527
Reaction score
74
Joined
Mar 28, 2003
Posts
9,527
Likes
74
If you're referring to peole like myself, Edwood, Orpheus, etc, that is becuase we are from the same area, have met each other, are friends/etc. I don't see how the fact that we share some of the same opinions makes us lemmings.
 
     Share This Post       
post-768198
Post #14 of 43

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
79
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Posts
2,397
Likes
79
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
How much does it cost to get my own pack of lemmings? Will they make my audio gear sound better? If so, I'll take two.


Maybe you should hook up with a lemming and create your own hybrid pack?
Lemmchilla. (Is that a Chinchilla in your avatar?)
 
     Share This Post       
post-768210
Post #15 of 43

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
2,397
Reaction score
79
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Posts
2,397
Likes
79
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
If you're referring to peole like myself, Edwood, Orpheus, etc, that is becuase we are from the same area, have met each other, are friends/etc. I don't see how the fact that we share some of the same opinions makes us lemmings.


No, I knew you guys were friends outside of here. I know you guys and a couple others tend to hit the same topics and such but I personally wasn't thinking of your clique. Just kidding!
Often times "cliques" are viewed in a bad sense but not always!
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top