"Cliques" and "Cliquey Members" on Head-Fi
Apr 15, 2004 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody other than the few who have expressed to me a similar a thing in PM, ever notice there are kind of a few "cliques" and "cliquey people" here at Head-Fi? There are just those individuals who will only post on certain subjects, regarding their favorite gear, in reply to their favorite people and so forth? Nothing wrong with supporting discussions about gear you like or are fond of, obviously, or for whatever reason, but I'm seeing certain patterns emerging with some individuals. And I'm not whining about it I just find it interesting. A certain member starts a thread and I can almost guess who's going to reply to it and at times know what they are even going to say! It's hilarious at times, I even see certain people jump at the chance to say "hey, I agree! Good point!" in reply to that certain person they are "allied with" so as to almost "check-in" with their little group. They want to make sure they know they have a lot of love for them.
tongue.gif
Fanboy's, maybe? Ah, I don't want to get offensive here. This is a community and there are going to be things like this as in everyday life. Anybody else?

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 43
"I agree!"
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 43
When I post about things I don't like or disagree with...... people yell at me.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
When I post about things I don't like or disagree with...... people yell at me.

Good thing that never happens to me, LOL!
wink.gif

I notice the cliquey people here as well, it's very annoying, but what can you do?

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 43
If you read enough threads you will find that people are often criticized for recommending gear they have never heard. Many times they speak with such authority that a unknowing reader may think that they are getting a recommendation from a long time listener. Not everyone has a lot of equipment and cannot comment with authority on many of the threads. When they do speak up on an item they are familiar with it may appear cliquey but it really isn't.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 43
I hadn't noticed, but will see if it is something going on or not in the future. There will always be people who are friends and show their support of each other, so hopefully that is all it is. If not, no biggie on my end.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
If you read enough threads you will find that people are often criticized for recommending gear they have never heard. Many times they speak with such authority that a unknowing reader may think that they are getting a recommendation from a long time listener. Not everyone has a lot of equipment and cannot comment with authority on many of the threads. When they do speak up on an item they are familiar with it may appear cliquey but it really isn't.

I don't think he meant them. I think that he was referring to those members with packs of lemmings who follow them around head-fi, it's a very odd thing to witness. It's not that really a big deal, until they gang up you, but whatever.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 43
Cliquey? Well, I do post on a very limited number of subjects, but that's because I have a very limited range of knowledge. I try to post on stuff that I actually know something about or have heard, and most of the stuff I've heard can be found in my sparse profile. But I know what you mean about certain people always replying to posts about certain topics. Like, I've noticed a small group of people (myself included) who seem to hover around Denon PCDP topics. But I wouldn't call it cliquey.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I don't think he meant them. I think that he was referring to those members with packs of lemmings who follow them around head-fi, it's a very odd thing to witness. It's not that really a big deal, until they gang up you, but whatever.

Bingo. It is annoying to some degree but that's the way it is with everything. I just find it funny. Packs of lemmings, heh heh, that's perfect actually. People will always post in reply to gear they love or are familiar with, or as John said the only gear they know, which is what we all naturally do but there are others who ally themselves with certain groups of people and gear that goes a bit beyond that. Like KR said, not a big deal, just funny.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 43
How much does it cost to get my own pack of lemmings? Will they make my audio gear sound better? If so, I'll take two.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
Like, I've noticed a small group of people (myself included) who seem to hover around Denon PCDP topics. But I wouldn't call it cliquey.

Oh, no. See my previous post. If that consituted what a clique was then my many posts on the Perreaux amp would have made me Grand Master Clique.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
How much does it cost to get my own pack of lemmings? Will they make my audio gear sound better? If so, I'll take two.

Maybe you should hook up with a lemming and create your own hybrid pack?
tongue.gif
Lemmchilla. (Is that a Chinchilla in your avatar?)

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
If you're referring to peole like myself, Edwood, Orpheus, etc, that is becuase we are from the same area, have met each other, are friends/etc. I don't see how the fact that we share some of the same opinions makes us lemmings.

No, I knew you guys were friends outside of here. I know you guys and a couple others tend to hit the same topics and such but I personally wasn't thinking of your clique. Just kidding!
smily_headphones1.gif
Often times "cliques" are viewed in a bad sense but not always!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back