Clip+ Sound Quality, really??
Apr 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #136 of 179
My first "audiophile" player was just the Sansa Fuze. I've had a Cowon iAudio X5 and a Nationite S:Flo2, both sold. I have the impression that much time will pass before I find a player better than the Sansa Fuze ...

The ideal player would have the features of the Sansa Fuze (SQ, size, weight, ease of use, etc.) with the output power of the S:Flo2.

Anyone know of a device with these characteristics?

Cheers,

Peter

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #138 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you a basshead? I found the D1001 very decent out of the Clip, just lacking a bit of bass impact compared to a more powerful DAP (Vaio Pocket). On the other side some Sony DAPs are known to be boosted in the lows.
As for the BA vs dynamic comparison, the PFEs & the RE0s were very close out of the Clip, with even better mids (more body) coming from the RE0s. None of them sounded really better out of my Vaio Pocket.

Definitely not a basshead. I may have been close to one years ago, but not in the last few. Again, I am not saying that there wasn't any bass in the Clip, I felt that the entire output was weak and strained. It felt like the clip was trying way to hard to make a 40mm driver move, which in turn lost some resolution and clarify. I also felt that the sound was VERY grainy out my dynamics. I am not saying it isn't wonderful for it's price and purpose, but I do not feel that it should be suggested for everyone who wants a new DAP.

I purchased my Clip very very early on in their production cycle and may have had a bad unit (the battery would not continually hold a charge and eventually overheated and fried the whole unit). I keep thinking about purchasing a Clip+ to see if they have improved.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #139 of 179
It is strange to hear many people complaining about the grainy sound of Fuze/Clip.

The best phone to test a player is my Shure SE530 and I can not listen to this grain in the sound. Moreover, this feature was very noticeable on my old Cowon iAudio X5, which causes the lack of detail.

To my ears, the rank of the players that I have is as follows:

Sansa Fuze > Cowon iAudio X5 > Nationite: SFlo:2

Cheers,

Peter

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #140 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say that i am not from those who also think like that sometimes...but i was shocked from the clip+,it has totally explode the illusion of bigger and more expensive=better.

Price is by far and away the largest driver of consumer perception.

I'm willing to bet that if the Clip+ was priced between $200-$300 people would be less shocked at the sound quality despite it's size.

In the world of electroncis with a little homework and some research you can find alot of products that will dispell the myth that you have to spend the most money to have a excellent product and in some cases the best product.

But that is not to discount some of the high end expensive items though, some of them are expensive for a reason. They are excellent and don't skimp on anything

But in terms of something like Apple, for example take their shuffle product. They are clearly relying on consumer perception that they HAVE to buy an iPod product. So instead of pricing it in the sub $50 range where it really belongs, they can command top dollar, up near $80 retail Brick and Mortar, simply on Brand Name alone.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #141 of 179
Nice advertising indeed but I don't want another software invasion on my laptop. For the Clip + you don't need weird software, just good media player software.

I should buy a second one some time, just for FLAC. Maybe with a Fiio E7 it would make a wonderful team.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #143 of 179
More and more I'm bowled over by the sound of my Clip.

Listening more and more to reference classical cd's, it's very true to the original, despite the h/f glare of my cheap headphones.

I can only imagine based on what many of you have said that the most recent version of the Clip will sound like.

Once I get my upgraded headphones, with the PAV2 headphone amp, this could be a reference system.

Does the Clip+ have a seperate line out or is that too much to ask for??

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #144 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmartel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once I get my upgraded cheap headphones, Sansa Clip with the PAV2 headphone amp, this could be a reference system.

Would you mind if I will use this edited version in my sig as a Quote of the Month?

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #145 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind if I will use this edited version in my sig as a Quote of the Month?

By all means.

I'm a vetran audiophile of 30 years+

Still having my Kenwood portable cd player I reference every piece of portable gear to that.

My only wish is that the PAV2 had an optical input.

FYI, my headphones are a pair of cheap Magnavox MPH1100 which will be upgraded soon. They do well on most things except for the h/f glare characteristic of cheap headphones

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #147 of 179
Or a just a fair multi-quote?
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Once I get my upgraded cheap headphones, Sansa Clip with the PAV2 headphone amp, this could be a reference system.

By all means.

I'm a vetran audiophile of 30 years+

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #148 of 179
clip sounds so good because all audio paths are very short (major rule of hi-fi) , adding cables and amps only make it sound worse and add distortion
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #149 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by prone2phone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clip sounds so good because all audio paths are very short (major rule of hi-fi) , adding cables and amps only make it sound worse and add distortion
wink_face.gif

I also think that.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #150 of 179
Can anyone answer these two questions?

1) Does the Clip+ support 32 GB expansion memory? I've read contradictory statements.
2) Can you apply the shuffle function to both on-board and external memory at the same time – to have full 24 (or better 40) GB covered by the shuffle mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back