Clip+ Sound Quality, really??
Apr 20, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #106 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clip has a very linear response. In other words it's neutral, neither adding nor subtracting from the sound. It is certainly one of the better players on the market.

I completely agree with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #107 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is ofcourse a matter of taste,but the clip+ has enough power for me with the pk2 and also with the RS1. it sounds more powerful than the cowon D2,probably because it has more bass punch to it.

I'm not sure what phones you were using the cowon with, but cowon has known bass rolloff issues with low impedance phones. With 16 ohm phones I believe it is -2.3db @30Hz. Once you hit 32 ohm rolloff becomes inaudible at -0.7db.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #108 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what phones you were using the cowon with, but cowon has known bass rolloff issues with low impedance phones. With 16 ohm phones I believe it is -2.3db @30Hz. Once you hit 32 ohm rolloff becomes inaudible at -0.7db.

I mainly use the pk2 with my portables which rated at 16ohm.
with my RS1 32ohm i also notice some bass roll off in the d2 comparing to the clip+...perhaps the clip just have better bass response, I think it is pretty linear and flat. I am really trying to catch it off guard...but it just doesn't let me, I never heard such a flat and accurate response from a portable player before.
the cowon players,at least the d2 from what i know,known that they have a rather curvey frequency response and it is pretty audible as well.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #109 of 179
I've owned my fair share of DAPs, but the Clip+ is the first I've had that has a reputation for very high quality output. I got it yesterday, and just didn't want to fall asleep -- I didn't want to stop listening! The difference between going from my rockboxed Sansa c240 is like going from 160cbr to lossless -- the level of clarity, crispness and overall immersion was nothing short of amazing to me. I've been meaning to make the upgrade for a while, and am very happy I didn't put off pulling the trigger any longer than I did.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #110 of 179
^ I'm starting to realize the potential and quality that LFF keeps talking about
smily_headphones1.gif

During my 4 days of extensive listening to my music through the s:flo2/Clip+ (and I mean 8-13 hours per day) at my dad's, I'm starting to see why he's so positive about this player.

There are some things the T51 does better than the clip+ but I THINK the clip+ has better higher frequency playback. I read about potential treble roll off in the S:flo2/T51 and directly comparing with the Clip+ I can audibly tell that those graphs that were posted do not lie.

My ALO Rx is patiently waiting on me to get home and when I power it up tonight I'll use it with the line out with the t51 and the HO on the clip+ and see what I get
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #111 of 179
Apr 21, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #112 of 179
^Numbers and graphs don't really tell us how good the equipment is. Sure graphs do show us things such as peaks and roll offs but they don't tell us how well the piece of equipment does in making sound.

The T51 has a bigger sound stage than the Clip+ but the graphs won't tell you that. Things such as sound stage, clarity, head stage, etc. can't be told by a graph. It's a good guideline but in the end, you're going to have to either read a LOT or go by what you hear.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #113 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Numbers and graphs don't really tell us how good the equipment is. Sure graphs do show us things such as peaks and roll offs but they don't tell us how well the piece of equipment does in making sound.

The T51 has a bigger sound stage than the Clip+ but the graphs won't tell you that. Things such as sound stage, clarity, head stage, etc. can't be told by a graph. It's a good guideline but in the end, you're going to have to either read a LOT or go by what you hear.

Have to totally agree with you there. It's funny when I see people going on about, "the data and graphs says it's great, it's definitely better than X" Even before they've had a chance to listen to it.

Plus another thing that seems a little confusing is peoples way of testing the same rigs. They may have different headphones/test track/amp even though they are testing the same product. It doesn't really do for a "fair" test on a product. If that makes sense.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #114 of 179
I got a Clip+ the other week, and proceeded to sell it within a few days. Sounded ok I guess, but it was annoyingly tiny and the buttons and interface pissed me right off. Man, I love my solid 160gb Ipod even more now. Who really needs a device so small you require an electron microscope to find it and can only hold about 1 flac song or something? Do me a favour.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #115 of 179
Me.
I like to have my Clip+ on my jacket, jeans, bag belt - anywhere I like to clip it on.
And 8+16 Gb are enough to hold 500+ of my FLACs at least.
Your songs are just too long.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #116 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I got my $26 Clip+ today and I have to say I am not impressed.

I'm sure I'm not the first to quote this in the thread. For 26$ you're getting a device that would've cost ten times that price five years ago and sounded worse. Say it with me: "Thank you, Sandisk!"

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #117 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure I'm not the first to quote this in the thread. For 26$ you're getting a device that would've cost ten times that price five years ago and sounded worse. Say it with me: "Thank you, Sandisk!"

You should read the rest of the thread before you quote me out of context. I already made that point long before. However, the SQ is still far from what I expect from an 'audiophile' product, especially non boxed. My best friend just got a sansa fuze v2 and also noticed the sound, while flat, was thin as well. So that's about 5 people I am aware of that find this player to be thin and lacking in resolution or body. It doesn't surprise me that those w/ BA drivers don't notice this issue since for the most part BA's lack body in general. But for $26 its great, especially for those that workout or run.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #118 of 179
Someone really needs to do a comparison between dynamic and balanced armature IEMs out of the clip. When I had my Clip V1, it sounded thin and grainy out of my Denon C700. I have the Triple.fi 10 Pro now, but my clip fried itself before I could listen to it with them.

Also, I find it hard to beleive that the clip can drive most full size cans. I plugged my Denon D1000 into mine and it was extremely thin. It wasn't even worth listening to IMHO. My Sony A818 drives these cans extremely well as does almost any other source, but the Clip sounded weak and strained.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #120 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should read the rest of the thread before you quote me out of context. I already made that point long before. However, the SQ is still far from what I expect from an 'audiophile' product, especially non boxed. My best friend just got a sansa fuze v2 and also noticed the sound, while flat, was thin as well. So that's about 5 people I am aware of that find this player to be thin and lacking in resolution or body. It doesn't surprise me that those w/ BA drivers don't notice this issue since for the most part BA's lack body in general. But for $26 its great, especially for those that workout or run.

Looks like you've found a good use for them, at least during workouts. You're correct in the assumption that I didn't read the rest of the thread, precisely because arguing that 26$ doesn't get you "audiophile" quality for 8 pages seems... trivial. As for sounding "thin" or lacking in "body", those adjectives speak of personal preferences in frequency response which can be satisfied by judicious application of eq. Reminds me of a thread where someone complained that their Clip was a fifth of a semitone flat.

Nonetheless, I owe you thanks for inspiring me to listen to OK Go's first and only good hit
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back