Classical
May 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

HansEge

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

I recently acquired a pair of Beyerdynamic T50P. What an amazing piece of equipment! 
Anyways, one of my friends suggested some classical music to go with them and now i can't get enough! 
i got two cd's: someone named Edvard Grieg (really calm and soothing piece of art!) and Claude Debussy.

Do you guys know of anything like that?

Much appreciated
Hansege

May 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 24
How about a bit of Mozart? 40th symphony, Piano Concerto No21

Beethoven, 5th Symphony for a bit of angst!, 6th for a more relaxed feel

Tchaikovsky "the Nutcracker" essential.

Rachamaninov, 2nd piano Concerto for romantic touch!

Just a few to get you started, enjoy!  

May 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 24
Ok then..

Prokofiev "Romeo and Juliet" a bit harder work though...

Mendelssohn "A Midsummer Nights Dream" Young prodigy, simple but instantly like-able 

Rossini's Overtures.. Great fun!

Vaughn Williams, Fantasia on "Greensleeves" "Tallis" If you like thick stringed beautiful pastoral pieces.

Try a Bruckner Symphony? his 4th (romantic) or his 8th (considered by many to be the romantic era's best symphony)

How about a bit of 20th Century easy listening... Phillip Glass "Violin Concerto No 2" or John Adams "Harmonielehre"

If you are feeling a little spiritual, try some Arvo Part " Best of" or "Portrait"

Or.... if you just want to cut to the greatest of all.....(that covers all of the above in emotion, technique, and so much more) Then just spend time listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony from start to finish. (I would recommend Karajan Conducting 1962) 
wink.gif

May 27, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 24
If you like Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, you'll like the other Russians. In particular, check out Rimsky Korsakov's Schehrezade and Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.

If you're willing to invest a little into your collection, this box set is a great start with Classical music and will keep you busy listening to great recordings for at least a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Stereo-60-Collection-Box/dp/B003UCPEJ2/

May 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 24
Try Beethoven's Sixth and Dvorak's Ninth. You'll enjoy those.

Also give some thought to Arvo Part's music. It's stripped-down 20th century work, but his "Alina" has a deep hook in my heart.

May 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 24
There have been some good starter classical threads here in the past - maybe we should sticky one of them - but I agree with the recommendation for Vaughan Williams's "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis": it's such a beautiful piece. You can't go wrong with the Arvo Part either.

The gateway drug for me to classical music was probably Mahler's 2nd symphony. Another symphony often recommended is Shostakovich's 5th symphony, which should suit you since you're starting with late nineteenth century works. I'm not sure that it's obvious to track back to Beethoven once you're already at Debussy, but if you want to, then also consider Cyprien Katsaris's stunning cycle of the Liszt piano transcriptions of the Beethoven symphones: I should probably duck before saying it, but I prefer it to the orchestral originals.

May 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Try Beethoven's Sixth and Dvorak's Ninth. You'll enjoy those.

Also give some thought to Arvo Part's music. It's stripped-down 20th century work, but his "Alina" has a deep hook in my heart.

Have any more recommendations that are similar to Dvorak's Ninth?

May 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 24
I would also add any of the Sibelius Symphonies too, particularly his 2nd, 5th and 7th. The 7th is only 20 mins long but is one of the most beauitful creations ever made.

In regards to staying clear of Beethoven because you can handle Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky etc is absurd. Beethoven's music and the thought process inside his art both in complexity and emotion are deeper and more original than probably any other composer that has lived. (including Bach)  You can spend a lifetime studying his art and still be astounded by the original genius of the man. There would not be a Shostakovich or any of the great Russians without Beethoven. To avoid Beethoven while appreciating later romantic composers is like learning to be a Christian without reading the Bible.  

May 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 24
A great way to deepen your appreciation for classical music is to Netflix Leonard Bernstein's sets of Young People's Concerts and his appearances on Omnibus. Bernstein was a great teacher, and even though the YPC programs were for children, he didn't talk down to them at all. Lots of great insights and help with the terminology and history of classical music.

May 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
A great way to deepen your appreciation for classical music is to Netflix Leonard Bernstein's sets of Young People's Concerts and his appearances on Omnibus. Bernstein was a great teacher, and even though the YPC programs were for children, he didn't talk down to them at all. Lots of great insights and help with the terminology and history of classical music.

Unfortunately it is not available through Netflix Canada. It's nice to see that something like this exists.

May 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
In regards to staying clear of Beethoven because you can handle Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky etc is absurd. Beethoven's music and the thought process inside his art both in complexity and emotion are deeper and more original than probably any other composer that has lived. (including Bach)  You can spend a lifetime studying his art and still be astounded by the original genius of the man. There would not be a Shostakovich or any of the great Russians without Beethoven. To avoid Beethoven while appreciating later romantic composers is like learning to be a Christian without reading the Bible.  

If that's aimed at me, that wasn't my point. Sure, you're going to get to Beethoven ... you're going to get to Bach ... but if the thing turning you on is Debussy's harmonies, then Beethoven isn't going to sound like that. So if o/p wants to hear more of what he likes, then it's better to track forward than back. To vary your analogy, telling someone to listen to Beethoven because they like Debussy is a little bit like telling someone who likes Paul's letter to the Corinthians to go read Genesis in the original Hebrew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back