CLASSICAL LOVERS ONLY.... which cable for the HD650s?
Apr 6, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 55
xaipemw. Make sure you aren't so quick in deciding what you like. Like brigher video displays, unless it's blinding or ear piercing, the brighter and even a more detail presentation will almost always appear more impressive but after a while, is the brighter video display displaying more noice/false detail and is it too digital and not film like? Does the sound become fatiguing after a while and more "hi-fi" and less like music?

But besides the headphone cable, source, amp, interconnects, powercables all make a difference. So what does your system sound like now?

Apr 6, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Howie
xaipemw. Make sure you aren't so quick in deciding what you like. Like brigher video displays, unless it's blinding or ear piercing, the brighter and even a more detail presentation will almost always appear more impressive but after a while, is the brighter video display displaying more noice/false detail and is it too digital and not film like? Does the sound become fatiguing after a while and more "hi-fi" and less like music?

But besides the headphone cable, source, amp, interconnects, powercables all make a difference. So what does your system sound like now?

Howie,

my system is only okay, because the main component--my source--is a $130 Sony CD player from 1993. I know that I need to upgrade majorly in that department. My system is listed in my profile, but for the most part I like the sounds I'm getting.

I definitely hear what you're saying about the concept that there can be too much detail, and too much brightness. I myself as a photographer struggle with this notion a lot. For all of the wonders of digital cameras, I still mainly shoot with film because I like how it looks--plus, it does record more detail. Although I print all photographs through my computer and Photoshop. So, in a way, this is similar to what I look for in a headphone and audio system: plenty of detail, but still natural-looking (or sounding in this case), without too much emphasis in any spectrum.

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 55
Hirsch:

Could you please write a more detailed write up of how the Silver Dragon performs and if possible could you compare it to the Zu Mobius?

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 55
I listen mostly to classical music, but I'm one that does not find that tuning a system to a particular kind of music is necessary, or even desirable, at least above a certain price point. To me, neutral components produce the best sound (aka realistic compared to live) on classical, jazz, and rock. May be an issue of expectations... I like neutrality over perhaps some narrower emotional or euphonic appeal, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm just wired to notice accuracy, so I get impatient with colorations of any kind.

I use HD650s, Perreaux SXH1 version 0.5, and very recent 15-foot Cardas cable. Source is a SCD-XA777ES wired via Cardas Neutral Reference and Cross through a passive preamp.

Compared to the stock cable, the Cardas brought out more and better controlled bass and treble, and more detail top to bottom. Until it had well over 200 hours, it sounded bright. Now it is perfect, never bright unless the recording is, and even then quite listenable.

I've heard the Silver Dragon at a meet, and liked it, but it seemed perhaps less dynamic and more emphatic in the midrange. But this was at a meet with lots of cable jostling. I expect that there is much to the idea of moving the cables as little as possible; I've heard this make a big difference in the past on normal interconnects. Also, pros like George Cardas and others have pointed to the phenomenon.

I heard the cables with HD600s also, but I found them just a bit too bright in the treble and recessed in the midrange with any of the cables for me to tolerate.

What I'd like out of my headphone system is another octave of deep rumbling bass. Probably a limitation of the headphones themselves. I get satifying deep bass over the speaker system.

One thing the Cardas have going for them is a good feel while handling. They slide well, coil pretty well, and are not bulky or stiff. They torque freely without getting all into loops.

Also, Cardas company really stands behind their stuff. I had cables from their very early days that developed a discoloration a decade later (sounded OK), and they replaced them all, no questions asked with current, better sounding product.

Apr 8, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 55
I switched out the Zu Mobius for the stock cable a few minutes ago, because I wanted to see if what I was hearing was mere "psychosomatic burn-in" or not. And here's what I've discovered, at least on my own system...

I like the stock cable better than the Zu cable. True, I'm not hearing as much detail as I did on the Zu, but the balance seems more "realistic" than it did with the Mobius. I've tried this out on both classical and rock, and it seems to be across the board.

Of course, this could mean that I'm used to the sound of the stock'er, and not the Mobius. Perhaps. But I've been listening to the Mobius exclusively for around 2 1/2 weeks now, and the Mobius is definitely burned in. It's quite amazing (and disappointing!) that to me, with my existing equipment, the stock cable sounds better.

I really want to try out the Cardas and Equinox cables now, considering that they supposedly don't emphasize frequencies over others. Methinks that I'm going to return the Mobius cable within a few days.

Although, of course with my stock cable, there is that "veil" that definitely was lifted with the Mobius. For classical, I'm talking about such instruments as the violin--there's a huge difference. And I know, because I used to play the violin for 5 years.

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 55
Xaimpemw remember the quality of your source. It makes sense that you would prefer the stock if the stock is not as revealing as the Zu, when you might be using a questionable source. Also take into account what recordings you are listening to. If source + recordings are not that great, less revealing components would appear to sound better than more revealing ones.

I have the Zu and the stock, but haven't done comparisons because I want to listen to the Zu for long enough with my modded NS500V, and the LaRocco PPA, which haven't arrived yet. And even then, I think I should withhold any conclusive judgement, until getting a higher-end source, at least for CD playback. Only the cable comparison using SACD's on the modded NS500V should be the first pretty substantial comparison for me I think.

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by xaipemw

I like the stock cable better than the Zu cable. True, I'm not hearing as much detail as I did on the Zu, but the balance seems more "realistic" than it did with the Mobius. I've tried this out on both classical and rock, and it seems to be across the board.

Of course, this could mean that I'm used to the sound of the stock'er, and not the Mobius. Perhaps. But I've been listening to the Mobius exclusively for around 2 1/2 weeks now, and the Mobius is definitely burned in. It's quite amazing (and disappointing!) that to me, with my existing equipment, the stock cable sounds better.

I really want to try out the Cardas and Equinox cables now, considering that they supposedly don't emphasize frequencies over others. Methinks that I'm going to return the Mobius cable within a few days.

Heh, while the 600s had somewhat of a solidified cable hierarchy, it looks like there are some pretty big differences of opinion on these same cables with the 650s.

Personally I've got the stock, Equinox, and Clou Red, and right now I like the Clou by far the best because it does boost the top end, which is what I was looking for. The Equinox keeps the same tonal balance as the stock, but detail is better and edges are less rounded. I would be very interested in the Zu if it also gave a nice treble boost. In your experience, how much does the Zu boost the treble, if at all?

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #23 of 55
The Zu definitely boosted the treble, and that was one of the things I like most about the Mobius. It also boosted up the midrange, and that wasn't always welcome. Take the good with the bad, eh?

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #24 of 55
xaipemw, what you are doing now is listening for how the headphone cable sound in a system with a "craptacular" CDP that you intend to replace soon. That will probably change the system profoundly, if you pick a good CDP. And this means that the cable that works best in you present system may not be the best in the upcoming system.

I have the Zu cable and like it in my system and my impression is that it has a fairly neutral balance, neither dark or bright, and should work well in most systems. Not saying that it is always the best match. Zu can be too revealing of limitiations earlier in the chain as "craptacular" CDPs etc, as well as other upgrade cables I think.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 55
I had enough of my Sony. Frankly, I am impressed that my circa 1993 CDP lasted almost 11 years, but it did. Nevertheless, I have always been fully aware that it was the weak link in my still-new audio system. So I did lots of reading. LOTS of reading. and I went to the few audiophile-oriented stores in the Milwaukee area. I listened, with my own equipment, to the Rega Planet 2K, the Rotel RCD-02 and RCD-1072, the Music Hall CD-25, the Audio Refinement CD Complete, and the Arcam CD73t.

I just pulled the trigger yesterday. You're looking at the proud new owner of an Arcam! I should be getting it from my dealer in the middle of next week. I ordered the black version, btw. Real quick: I decided on the 73t over all of these other worthy choices because to me, on my Perreaux SXH1 and Senn HD650, the Arcam simply sounded the best overall. It's a really solid performer, and I listened to the demo unit with my equipment for around an hour.

Hopefully this will solve all of my source-complaints!
biggrin.gif
And since I know that there's not too much info or reviews at least on Head-Fi about this player, when I've had it for a while I'm going to write a full-length review.

I'm damned excited now to see what my new system is capable of.
600smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #26 of 55
Congratulations on the 73T!!!
600smile.gif
Our systems are pretty much the same, except I have the 72T. Like you, I listen mostly to classical on my headphones. Listening to some Bach (St. Matthew's Passion) as I type. Thus far, I still don't have a replacement cable, so I've been reading your thread carefully.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 55
Congrats! You are pulling together a nice system! Good to see you being very objective in your quest as well. You are finding what YOU like. What did you think of that AR Complete, BTW? Just curious. Looks like you are having fun!

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #28 of 55
One more thing, be patient with the break in of the 73T. I never even noticed a CD player noticably breaking in before, but my 72T seemed great out of the box, then seemed to go through a period where it sounded pretty bad, then suddenly blossomed into sounding very good again. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was breaking in a power cord at the same time or my ears just adjusting, but it sure was my impression that the sonic characteristics did change some.

Apr 9, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Congrats! You are pulling together a nice system! Good to see you being very objective in your quest as well. You are finding what YOU like. What did you think of that AR Complete, BTW? Just curious. Looks like you are having fun!

Thanks, Sean. I believe that you were the person to suggest the Audio Refinement to me, right? I'm too lazy to search for it right now....
rolleyes.gif

I feel really good about my purchase, even though I don't even have the Arcam yet. About the AR Complete... I thought it was an excellent player, and a great performer. I loved the build quality of it as well, and with my musical selection it did very well indeed. I personally found the 73T to be just as good, if not a little better in some areas, especially for classical music and vocals (like opera). Plus, at least around my neck'o'the'woods, it was about $200 cheaper. I am proud of myself, spending $700... I was originally planning on buying the Rega Planet 2K, which is also a $900 source (new). Now I'll have this extra money for, sheesh... new IC's maybe, or something.

P.S.

I think that I'm going to wait before sending my Zu Mobius back until I get my new Arcam burned in a bit. Who knows... maybe I'll like the sound of the Zu much better now that I'll have a kick-arse source.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #30 of 55
xaipemw, we're putting together a very similar sytem and at pretty much the same time, too!
biggrin.gif
My FMJ CD33T should arrive Wednesday next week to accompany my long (and still) awaited Larocco PPA, which in turn will power my HD 650s. Keep us posted on your results and I'll do likewise with mine
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back