CLASSICAL LOVERS ONLY.... which cable for the HD650s?
Apr 19, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
most of the post i read praised the cd3k with the perreaux but i only read some said the hd650 matched really well with it.

what made me not look into the SXH1 IMO is a lot of people in that thread who bought the perreaux eventually sold their's for reasons i do not know - maybe the hum , maybe they outgrew the sound and switched .

Screwdriver,

I'm not trying to be a Fanboy of the SXH1, but I have to step in and say that the hum you speak of was only present in the 0.3 version, which has been replaced by the 0.5 version, which is what I have myself. Also, the vast majority of the time the hum was heard on the 0.3 version was with low-impedance headphones (like the CD3K) and not ones like the 580/600/650.

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #48 of 55
xaipemw,

I am so stoked that you've found a worthy source to mate well with the wonderful 650's. Doesn't it make all the difference in the world?! You can't fully enjoy high quality sound if the thing playing that sound is incapable of doing so. I know what you mean too about the quietness you now hear...it adds so much more realism to the music when the only thing making noises is the msuic itself, and not the hum or hissof another component.

The Zu definitely is a cable that emphasizes the bass (although not in your case), mids, and treble energy in a more neutral way than a cable like the Equinox does. And for you, that is obviously too much emphasis and takes away what you like most about the Senn house sound. This is also why I think you'll find your personal perfect balance with the Equinox. I've heard the Equinox with the HD600's and they too emphasize everything, but in a more warm, rich way. It's kind of like they're adding their rich, warm character on top of the already rich Senn house sound. And that makes for a very different, and pleasant experience...something only the Equinox can do! You should have no problem selling the Mobius cable on here and I hope you get a new cable soon so you can hurry up and 100%, fully enjoy the greatness that is the HD650.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
xaipemw ,

sorry if i offended you - i did not mean it to be interpreted that way .

No offense taken. I just likes my SXH1.
600smile.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
I'm not trying to be a Fanboy of the SXH1

Uh oh, I've got some people paranoid now. I was not in any way referencing you if it matters. Discussing your favorite gear or gear you are fond of is completely natural.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
I listened to the Mobius for around 30 minutes. I chose a selection of my best-known-to-me songs and classical pieces, so as to have some sort of known factor in the equation. What I discovered was this: that I don't like the Zu Mobius cable in my system. At all. The bass all but vanished, the whole spectrum of sound simply sounded wrong. And, yes, I burned in my Mobius for over 300 hours previously.

So in your setup Xaipemw, with the stock cable you get a better balance between bass vs. mids and highs compared to using the Zu. Or in other words, you mean the Zu's balance brings forward the mids and highs too much compared to the level of bass. I guess that's not exactly saying the bass is dissapearing when using the Zu, but in relative terms ends up being almost the same.

That sounds to me a bit strange, since quite a few people have praised the bass enhacements provided by the Zu. But I can't really question your opinions, I myself had some impression of sligh lack of bass punchiness of the Perreaux+Zu+HD650 combo, but I couldn't say whether it was the amp, or the Zu, or my source, or a combination of. Waiting for the Larocco to start evaluating how I truly like these pieces in my rig.

Apr 19, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #52 of 55
Well, I finally have my Arcam FMJ CD33T sitting in front of me on my desk, looking very smug with itself. Now, can you imagine having every component in it's right place, cables and all, except the headphone amp, and not being able to use it because the ruddy Arcam doesn't have an headphone jack and I don't have an RCA to 3.5mm
eggosmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif
confused.gif
eggosmile.gif

LOL! This is my ultimate fustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily I have other sources, but I swear the Arcam is laughing at me
lambda.gif
Can't say I blame it, either...aagghhh!!

BTW, Sean H, Larry fitted pre-amp outs to my PPA (see sig.) using Tiffany style RCA's, for free as he wanted to do a test and make a "Full Monty" PPA with everything poss. Hey, suits me! Hence, my PPA shall from now on be known as the "Larocco Full Monty PPA"..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #53 of 55
Same boat here Ipod. Just got word from Larry, among the three amps he has going out this week, one is the one I ordered!!! This *is* the most anxious I've ever felt for any audio component I've ordered. Can't wait to put together all the pieces I've gathered so far for my dedicated headphone rig. In particular to compare Toshiba 3950 vs. Sacdmodded NS500V, and also Zu Mobious vs. stock cable of the HD650.

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Uh oh, I've got some people paranoid now. I was not in any way referencing you if it matters. Discussing your favorite gear or gear you are fond of is completely natural.

Sean,

I wasn't referring to you at all! You've always been nothing but helpful in my quest for audio perfection. In fact, I think that once I return my Mobius and get the money back, I'm going to try the Equinox. Hey, you like it, Tuberoller likes it... and from what I understand, I'll like it too.

Apr 20, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedr
Same boat here Ipod. Just got word from Larry, among the three amps he has going out this week, one is the one I ordered!!! This *is* the most anxious I've ever felt for any audio component I've ordered. Can't wait to put together all the pieces I've gathered so far for my dedicated headphone rig. In particular to compare Toshiba 3950 vs. Sacdmodded NS500V, and also Zu Mobious vs. stock cable of the HD650.

Well, one of the 3 is mine!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
so who's is the other one? I'll be able to do some comparisons between the stock cable and Cardas v2 cable on my HD650s. Both the Cardas cable and HD650s have around 150 hours on them, now, so they'll be completely burned in by the time the amp arrives. I can then also compare my old Technics SL-PG490 CD source with the new Arcam FMJ CD33 that's sitting and winking at me as I write
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back