Clash Of the Titans. R10 vs. Leatherhead vs. HP1 vs. RS1 vs. HD650/600
Jan 22, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #31 of 56
You have given me the answer to the question on which I pondered for a long time, why do no headphone appeals to me as much the HD580/HD600 [have not tried HD650] does? Well, I like the sound of speakers, and these headphones are the closest one gets to headphones sounding life speakers.

Jan 22, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #32 of 56
Post pictures please. But none of you nude. ok tubroller?

Jan 22, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 56
No K1000 in the line up? Especially with a Fisher 400 in the house?
frown.gif

Nice review. I usually like pics. But I think I can pass on these pics. LOL.

-Ed

Jan 22, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #35 of 56
I posted pics of the phones in the "post pics of you wearing headphones thread" in the member's lounge. I don't have the R10 or Leatherheads anymore,they have both been returned to their owners,Thanks again to Kieran for the R10 and Jonnie Maka for the Leatherheads. I would love for these guys to chime in about my impressions of the phones. Kieran also allowed us to use the R10 for the Milwuakee meet last weekend,which was very cool. This would not have been possible without the help of these two great guys.

The big reason I seek to reproduce loudspeaker sound in my headphone system(and I'm not saying I have done that as well as I would like) is that I know this sound. If I had a headphone system that sounded nothing like I'm accustomed to then I have two very different and disctinct sounding systems and it would be nearly impossible for me to write a review based an a what I know to be a "reference" sound. If you ever wish to write reviews and have them be credible and you wish to be taken seriously you will need a reference system from which to draw conclusions. Not everyone has heard phones like the R10,HP1,L3000 or even the RS1 but nearly everyone has heard a great loudspaker system and many of those same folks have heard the HD600 and many of those same poeple own the HD600. It's always a bad idea to use an esoteric product as a reference and I would be doing all you guys a disservice if I used phones like HP1 for a reference. I listen to all these different phones and amps so that I know what's out here and I have a idea of how they sound without having to guess or make assumptions(which is always a very bad thing). If I tell you how I think something sounds,you don't have to agree with me,but you know I actually spent some real time with the product and have some idea how it sounds. This is important to me and should be just as important to you when you read a review.

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #36 of 56
I think I roughly get what may be more speaker-like about a particular set of headphones over another, but for those claiming when listening to headphones they want them to "sound like headphones", what is that (besides possibly not using crossfeed)? Is it something in opposition to a speaker sound or something else entirely? What for instance makes the RS1 potentially more headphone-like than a HD600? Also how does it relate to a canalphone-like sound which possibly could be argued as headphone-like xxxtreme (if I'm even slightly understanding any of this)? I'm serious here.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #37 of 56
What about the K1000s and ... ...gulp, the Omega SRs-007/717 setup? How do they fit in? I mean the AKG people call these ear-speaker, so these must be even more speaker like than the HD600/650s.

Jan 22, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #38 of 56
This review better get stickied.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 22, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #39 of 56
I for one can easily understand the wish for a speaker-like headphone reproduction: after all it's the first step to an even farther, less achievable goal, a lifelike reproduction. On the other hand I can't see any sense in the quest for a headphone-like headphone reproduction, as little as I want speaker-like sounding speakers or a digital source with a digital sound...

Nevertheless, I give first priority to a harmonic, uncolored, highly resolving, clean and extended sound transporting the soul of the music in one or the other kind, before I ask for a lifelike presentation in the form of soundstage reproduction or simulation or the like.

peacesign.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Nevertheless, I give first priority to a harmonic, uncolored, highly resolving, clean and extended sound transporting the soul of the music in one or the other kind, before I ask for a lifelike presentation in the form of soundstage reproduction or simulation or the like.

peacesign.gif

Amen!

Jan 22, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #41 of 56
Great review tube, as always a very entertaining read.

Once again, the importance of system synergy cannot be overstated.

Perfect example is the RS-1/RA-1 pair and the Blockhead/600 pair.

The Grados were voiced together and the blockhead was designed with the 600 in mind.

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #42 of 56
Outstanding review as usual, Tuberoller. I must say that in my short time here at Head-Fi, there has been nobody's comments I have enjoyed (love that sneaky sense of humor) nor respected the knowledge and experience behind them more than your's.

I have heard all the phones you mention (R10, HP1, RS1, 600/650 and L3000), and mostly agree with your analysis of all of them - except the Leatherhead. You say:

Quote:

There is a suprising lack of detail and the whole two or three bottom octaves of bass seemed stuck together with thick,nasty glue. I would listen to these phones for about ten minutes ,switching phones and holding them in my hand admiring how nice they look. This was a tough audition. I know I gotta listen to them but it's so difficult to do. Nearly everybody has a Mother and I'm sure there are some folks out there who will love the L3000,but I ain't one of them.

I could not DISAGREE more! I am right now listening to L3000's fresh out of the box with no break in at all, and they have extreme detail, fast and accurate bass, and are revealing stuff from Patricia Barber (Nightclub) and Rickie Lee Jones (Pop Pop) I have not heard before. Besides the detail and quality bass, I'm hearing a nice, big soundstage, approaching the R10's, which are the best I've heard in that respect. All this with a humble old pre 2001 MAX.

I will do a review after they've had a chance to break in, but even first impressions prompt me to post in their favor.

As examples, I offer Patricia Barber, "Autumn Leaves" (Track 7 from Nightclub) - Patricia's voice is right out front where it belongs, and Marc Johnson's standup bass playing is fast and punchy, and I can hear his fingers on the frets. Rickie Lee's Pop Pop has never sounded better to me.

I am just SO overwhelmed by your reaction to the L3000's that I wonder if you heard the same phones I am hearing, especially in light of my general agreement with your experience with the others you reviewed.

Oh, well - as you say "I'm sure there are some folks out there who will love the L3000", and I am decidedly one of them. Maybe it's that cold Chicago weather that has your ears out of whack, and you should come down to Sarasota and hear my L3000's
very_evil_smiley.gif
Then again, maybe that Tyra Tryst has numbed your faculties
tongue.gif

Anyway, great review, as always, but I think you missed the mark on the Leatherheads.

Jan 23, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #43 of 56
Great review tuberoller! Your descriptions about these great headphones are very informative & helpful, especially for someone who doesnt have access to these great goodies in meets (like me)
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #44 of 56
Tuberoller, Thank you once again for the wonderful reviews. Your wife comented on how much money the R 10s cost. While they are overpriced for sure, isn't a blockhead/HD 600 system about the same amount of money as a lot of R 10 systems? Is there anyway to hook the R 10 to the Blockhead?
I own several headphones, and I used them all while my R 10s were with you. I got to the point where I really wanted them back. The other headphones were enjoyable, but they just did not draw me into the music the way the R 10s do. Had I not got a huge taste of the R 10s before, I could have lived with a couple of my other headphones as my main headphone. With the HD 600, they sound kind of dull, but I listened to them alot because they are a phone I can listen to at decent volumes for a long time without fatigue. It should be mentioned, that I really don't have the right upgrades to make the HD 600s sound their best. I only have the Clou Blue cable and I'm from what I read with better cables and an amp like the Blockhead really livens up the HD 600s Big time. Tuberoller, is sending me some cables and I can't wait to try them out.

Jan 23, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #45 of 56
Lucky person....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Well now you can dress up...and go to sleep with your wife again, the job was done....LOL...

Well it seems that the R-10 keep on top of my long term dream list.....shame on the leatherhead, it should be a good oportunity, well markl you are still on the safe side....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back