CK-10 vs. CKM-99
Feb 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jamesfonda

Head-Fier
Hi there,

Does anyone know how these differ sound signature wise? They are both going for the same price online so are they comparable?

Will the successor to the CK-10 be the CK-11 or does that sort of logic not apply?

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 24
CK100 is the successor of the CK10. Almost no info on the CKM99s so far, there's really nothing about them that makes them stand out for someone to take the risk. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 24
Didn't the CK10 and CK100 get announced at the same time? Although imo the CK10 and CK100 is like the HD600 and HD650 where one isn't necessarily better than the other.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 24
Ah yes I meant the flagship of the series. Not the model that replaces it. I don't even know of rumors of a CK10 successor, I wouldn't count on that could be wrong though. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 24
What do you mean there's is nothing that stands out about them? They have a 14mm driver, only 2mm short of the $500 EX1000 that people have been raving about. Also it looks like the radius ddm's gorgeous titanium cousin. The specs don't look half bad at all.

When did these actually come out? They are readily available in the US as of today. For less than $200, I really cannot see what doesn't make these look like interesting candidates?

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
What do you mean there's is nothing that stands out about them? They have a 14mm driver, only 2mm short of the $500 EX1000 that people have been raving about. Also it looks like the radius ddm's gorgeous titanium cousin. The specs don't look half bad at all.

When did these actually come out? They are readily available in the US as of today. For less than $200, I really cannot see what doesn't make these look like interesting candidates?

Spec doesn't really tell you how good a headphone sound, unfortunately. CKM99 came out last October - generally speaking Audio Tachnica releases a tons of earphone each year, so most of them will be ignored by the community especially since CKM series is never the top of the line for AT.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:

Actually they don't look very much like the DDM; the DDM is more like the Sony design. In AT's description of them they mention amping more than once which is not a good sign for me. People don't like the short cables plus extension set-up. Most of the Japanese reviews are 4 stars and not 5. I had hope for these myself but am no longer that interested. I have a feeling they will under-perform without amping. The cable style, the apparent weight, lackluster reviews, and the risk of taking a bath on resale made them rather uninteresting candidates for most people. Who would go with them over the Xcape or RE0/Zero or DBA-02 when they are cheaper and have proven track records. When Ecost has a sale and they are $50-$75 cheaper they will be more interesting. The only thing better now is possibly being able to return them. They were $160-ish plus forwarding so the price is not any better than it was, ~$200.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 24
driver size isn't a good indicator quality, there are many examples. x2 with Jant, spot-on with my feelings regarding these. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 24
The limited availability also doesn't help. Audio Technica often only release products that doesn't leave outside Japan, and the importing fee and process makes it harder to get an impression on them.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Inks. I thought the CK100 was the flagship and not the successor, kind of like the RE0 and RE252, no?

What alternative is there to the CK10 at the $250 mark?

The DBA-02 is said to have a very similar signature, at $180ish they are much cheaper, but the build quality of the CK10 is legendary 

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 24
The way Audio Technica labels their products, we would think the CKM is like the CK in some way, but it's really not at all.  The CKM products is much cheaper and often less liked.

DBA-02 and CK10 are not very alike at all.  I don't know why people keep saying that.  They really are very different sounding earphones.

The DBA-02 did not impress me much.  It seems geared for a particular task, but as a general music listening device, it isn't great.  Dynamic range is compressed a bit.  There is lack of texture/articulation, and the bass driver is very, very lean and can not match the presence of the high frequency driver.  Even when EQing was applied, it didn't balance out well.  The DBA-02 seems to be engineered to do recording work, as in make you hear all the sounds, but it ends up not being the most musical device.  For reference to another budget minded set, I would pick the RE-ZERO over it every day of the week over the DBA-02 as it shows better balance, better realism, better texture, and even more bass and the RE-ZERO is a bass lean earphone itself.

The CK10 is vastly superior to the DBA-02.  The speed, texture, and level of detail of higher frequencies is unmatched by anything the market.  It's well balanced short a moderate peak at 10kHz.  I have a slight personal preference towards the CK100 myself, but it is sort of an apples and oranges kind of comparison.  There are simply geared quite different.  The CK100 doesn't carry the level of texture and micro detail the CK10 has, but the CK100 has a better balanced presence and more refined up top and more presence and hit down low.  In some ways I could call the CK10 better like with the texturing and micro detail.  In some ways I could call the CK100 better like a more even presence across the spectrum and better sound stage separation and placement.  At the time I had a pair of CK10s, I would slightly prefer my RE252 over it, although I saw the CK10 as technically more correct earphone.  Right now I own the CK100 and also have a RE252 again.  I slightly prefer the CK100 over the RE252.  I can't say that I would pick the CK10 or the CK100 if I owned both and compared.  They do different things, but I do suspect I'd lean slightly towards the CK100 if I had to stick with just one.  I do feel the CK10 does need EQing too.  The treble peak is a moderate issue with that earphone.  Comply foam tips can help and make it acceptable without EQing, but really EQing makes it significantly more balanced.  The CK100 doesn't have such a need.  There aren't that many earphones that offer a really outstandingly flat frequency response.  The CK100 is one of the few which also means it will sound well with a wide variety of music.

As for a budget level product, say $150 or less, I will point you to the RE252 all day long, a used pair.  It is the most balanced, reference level IEM on the market.  It does have a few specific faults, mainly a constrained dynamic range that tends to suck some of the "pow" and effortlessness out of the sound and the bass is there but lacks the shear presence to be full (although it's got good impact).  It's sort of what you get when you put a speaker in a really tiny enclosure.  It sort of gets constrained, and that's kind of how it sounds.  It's just a really, really good driver that's very well balanced in that compromised setup.  The RE262 is a better choice for a non-constrained sound,and uses basically the best dynamic driver in existence (it's ridiculously good) but the RE252 is more balanced and 90% as good as the RE262 in sound.  The RE252-RE262 toss up is an incredibly hard one, but the RE252 can be had cheaper and the better balance makes it work better over a wider range of music.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #13 of 24
CKM99s look to be updated CKM90s, while 77s replaced the 70s and 55s replaced the 50s.  I haven't listened to the 99s, but I have listened to the 90s and thought they were pretty good -a lot more bass presence than my CK10s, but at the cost of clarity of sound.  I'm still happier with my CK10s.  They're just incredible.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #14 of 24
Thanks for all the replies folks - much appreciated! I'm still loving my Zeros but am looking for a 2nd pair that has low microphonics and a different, wamer signature. The South African Rand is heading towards a slump so I thought it might be a good time to step in while I can get a good exchange against the USD.

The headphones that (to me) sound interesting are the IE8 and SM3 but if the CK10 really does have better bass in quality and quantity, then I'd love to pull the trigger on them (this is why I asked about the CKM-99) as they sound comfy, have low microphonics and people rave about their build quality nevermind the crystal clear treble to highs. I was also intrigued by the DBAs but they don't seem to be available anywhere on the planet.

Anyhoo, in the meantime I've ordered some Sony Hybrid tips as the tips that come with the Zeros suck and I'm sure I could get a more comfy alternative than with my old CX300 tips.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 24
The CK10 has bass quality, but not so much quantity.  someone once put it as: the CK10 is like knocking on a door, the eq-7 is banging on the door, and the IE8 is like kicking the door in.

also, mvw2, superb post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back