Circumaural cans under $100 for portable listening. Ideas?
Nov 25, 2015 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Honeybadgers

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! You all have always steered me right in the past, and after losing the left ear in my (i should have heeded the warnings) vsonic vsd1's, I'm looking for something to wear on a daily basis. I sit in an ambulance all day with a big rumbling diesel, and I just chew through iem's (been through three pairs of klipsch s4's) so I think it's time to bench the iems for motorcycle duty and pick up the cans again for daily listening. My requirements-

(Used cans are fine, I don't mind looking for a couple weeks if headphone "x" can be regularly found here used for under a hundred)

1. Closed back. I don't mind a somewhat closed sound stage, I want noise isolation and comfort first, as these things will get used on airlines and in my loud ass diesel ambulance idling all winter.

2. Doesn't need an amp, but fine if it can benefit from one. I have a little fiio, but I don't always remember it.)

3. Solid build. Daily use being tossed into my jump bag.

I don't care how big they are (I have a large helmet sized head) or how heavy, one thing I do like acoustically is pretty deep bass and less piercing treble, but I'm the type who is more able to just learn to appreciate what kind of flavour a set of cans imparts to the music. Only circumaural stuff, as any on ear stuff hurts after a while (even my ad700's start to hurt and I've never worn a more comfortable set of cans)

Stuff I'm considering are sony mdr506, ath m40x, and I've seen a pair of senn. Hd595's but I believe those are open, letting everyone else hear what I'm listening to and vice versa.

My price is not rigid, but over a hundred is really pushing it, and anything over that mark must be under 150 and must be basically perfect for what I want!

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 35
I have heard that the m40x is actually more piercing in the treble, you disagree? I do tend to gravitate towards the audio technica, I adore the ath ad700's for the absurd comfort and wonderfully open soundstage, and build quality is fantastic. Are the 7506's not a full circumaural? How about sound isolation, the most important factor, which would be better (any better suggestions will also be considered, I have no brand loyalty)

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 35
I have heard that the m40x is actually more piercing in the treble, you disagree? I do tend to gravitate towards the audio technica, I adore the ath ad700's for the absurd comfort and wonderfully open soundstage, and build quality is fantastic. Are the 7506's not a full circumaural? How about sound isolation, the most important factor, which would be better (any better suggestions will also be considered, I have no brand loyalty)

No way. The 7506 is far more bright and harsh. It is a combination of supra-aural and circumaural.

For me, isolation is a moot point, because I rarely hear external noise with any headphones (whether closed or open) while listening to music. I don't understand how this would be such an important factor unless you're talking about not having other people hear what you're listening to.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 35
Thanks for the reply. The reason I want isolation is both to keep my music from invading someone else's peace, and isolating me as best as possible using non noise canceling methods because I do work with an annoying, droning old diesel engined ambulance as well as wanting something that works on an airplane.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 35
ermm....which dap are u using to play your music?

how about....HM5?  the thick pads might improve isolation, but the size of your head might be an issue?
( and a few branded variants of similar built...)

the other "new" option i just heard is the Fostex T40rp MK THREE...the latest. Its got a bigger fit.
about 150bucks on amazon. ( best with a Fiio amp)

( both highs are non piercing...reasonably good isolation imho)

-------

AKG K550 ....and its variants... thick big earpads.. :p

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 35
Music is through a phone, just a galaxy note 5. I also use them on my laptop, which doesn't have a lot of headphone port amplification. My portable amp is a little fiio e5.

The akg 550 looks like it would be tricky to find under 150. The 551 looks like it can be had under 150 with a Microphone as well, but that set better be twice as good for the money.

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 35
Sennheiser amperior if you can find them for $90 refurb

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 35
I hope you don't plan to drive while wearing earphones(in both ears) or headphones, especially ones that isolate. Aside from being against the law in most places, it is quite unsafe.

There is a great problem of people wearing isolating earphones or headphones when it is unsafe to do so. Yesterday I saw a woman at a traffic intersection pushing a baby carriage with a baby in it.
She had IEMs in both ears!

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 35
  Advantages the M40x has over the 7506:

1. More neutral sound that is less bright and harsh
  2. Detachable cable
  3. Fully circumaural
  4. More comfortable

Have you considered this?  http://www.amazon.com/Senal-SMH-1000-Closed-Back-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00ASWZO6U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 35
  Have you considered this?  http://www.amazon.com/Senal-SMH-1000-Closed-Back-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00ASWZO6U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm wondering, if your post is addressed to the OP, why did you quote me?

(I'm only interested in high-end electrostats nowadays, except for the JVC HA-SZ2000 for basshead purposes.)

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 35

I'm wondering, if your post is addressed to the OP, why did you quote me?

(I'm only interested in high-end electrostats nowadays, except for the JVC HA-SZ2000 for basshead purposes.)

It was addressed to everyone reading this thread.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 35
  It was addressed to everyone reading this thread.

I was just confused why you quoted me in particular.

But if it's addressed to me as well, then no, I'm not considering it or any other sub-$100 headphone at this point in time.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 35
I hope you don't plan to drive while wearing earphones(in both ears) or headphones, especially ones that isolate. Aside from being against the law in most places, it is quite unsafe.

There is a great problem of people wearing isolating earphones or headphones when it is unsafe to do so. Yesterday I saw a woman at a traffic intersection pushing a baby carriage with a baby in it.
She had IEMs in both ears!

I'm a medic. The last thing on my mind is music when I'm driving. When my partner is driving or when we're posting, I listen. I do need to hear our actual radio for call information when I'm driving, so that wouldn't work for that reason either. I do listen to iems when I am on my bike, but not so loud that I can't hear traffic around me.

Can you guys give me information on the cans you link? Like isolation, build quality, compatibility with a non amplified dap, basic acoustic properties (strong bass, neutral, etc) etc? The last thing I trust is the manufacturer's blurb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back