Cigars
Feb 8, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #31 of 39
I don't smoke, but I have tried a few cigars at social events.

My favorite was the Cohiba.

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
A good cigar is probably the best tobacco smoke you can get. Well into my third decade of cigar smoking, I really did not appreciate it when the cigar fad took off in the late 80s and prices went way up. You want handmade cigars. Since my preference runs to strong, spicey stogies, that's where my recomendations run, too. While I've smoked perfectly acceptable Jamaican, Dominican, Mexican, and Cuban cigars (Still have a dozen or so big Cohibas in the Igloodor
biggrin.gif
), it's pretty hard to beat a Arturo Fuente 858. Make sure you get yourself a nice big ringsize. Of the three elements of a cigar, wrapper, filler, and construction, while paying attention to all three, you will find good construction allowing an easy draw and an even burn, to be fully as important as the other two.

Your cutting utensil should be sharp, and while I started out with an expensive guillotine type cutter, nowadays I find a sharp pair of Fiskars kitchen shears works just as well. Try cooking the end of your cigar well above the flame of a butane lighter until it's evenly charred all the way around before inhaling to light it; seems to get it going the most evenly for me. Since I buy cigars in quantity when the prices are right, I need some serious storage space. My "Igloodor" is a 24 quart Igloo cooler with a good tight seal on the lid. I glued a greenhouse hydrometer inside the lid and humidify with a good sized sponge wrung out mostly dry. Works like a charm unless you need the ostentation of a fancy wood box; I do not.

Old Pa, thanks for that info. I've decided to do the "Igloodor" thing and I was wondering if you could be more specific about the sponge size, moisture content, and placement in the cooler? Also, do you store your cigars with the cello wrap on or off? Do you place the various cigars in the cooler in separate boxes?

I'm just curious as to how one configures this beast...

Thanks in advance!

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
Old Pa, thanks for that info. I've decided to do the "Igloodor" thing and I was wondering if you could be more specific about the sponge size, moisture content, and placement in the cooler? Also, do you store your cigars with the cello wrap on or off? Do you place the various cigars in the cooler in separate boxes?

I'm just curious as to how one configures this beast...
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but I keep the cigars cello wrapped and in the box in the Igloodor. I keep the loose cigars after the box is opened in the smaller bin that hangs from the rails. I use a fairly large sponge (maybe 64 cubic inches) dampened and then wrung out 80%. Ideal hydrometer reading is around 65% (Cuba is humid), but down to 50% does not bother me. You are going to grow some light mold at this humidity, but not on the wrapped cigars. The whole thing half loaded maintains a good humidity level with the seal and you are going to be checking the hydrometer regularly when you are in there for a smoke.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #36 of 39
just shared my last manacudo ascots for lunch today with a coworker. i'm going to pick up some manacudo madura ascots tonight after work. nice little cigars for the price, although tobacco tax in washington state is like 30%. this weekend i may try a diplomat.

in whistler bc i got to smoke a romeo & julieta habana and another that i forget but was very good.

on lighting, i'm no expert but i either use cobrini torch lighter and cobrini butane, or light a bit of birch(?)

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #37 of 39
i was just wondering what your advice would be about recommending a cigar to student with a limited budget. i have never smoked before so price is important. i was wondering what the best way would be to find out my preference in taste. i dont want to spend something like £20 (~37 USD) per cigar on something i wouldnt even like. so maybe you could recommend a few different brands that are a good price so i can find out what my favourite type is.
thanks

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
i was just wondering what your advice would be about recommending a cigar to student with a limited budget. i have never smoked before so price is important. i was wondering what the best way would be to find out my preference in taste. i dont want to spend something like £20 (~37 USD) per cigar on something i wouldnt even like. so maybe you could recommend a few different brands that are a good price so i can find out what my favourite type is.
thanks

That's several times more than I have ever spent on a good cigar. In most parts of the USA, there is a wide selection of handmade cigars for well under $10USD. What you want is a good, handmade cigar; you will have to clip the tip to smoke it.

I would suggest asking for a mild to medium flavor rating and a ring size of at least 50 (60/64th"). Get it from someplace with an active humidifying source in the cigar storage area. Any reputable tobacconist should be able to help you decide from their available stock. I like Fuente, Royal Jamaica, and (Cuban) Cohiba, but these are considered strong, full flavored smokes.

Clip the tip with a good sharp shear-type cutter. I like to use a gas lighter and char around the entire lighting end before even trying to draw through the cigar; that helps you get a good evenly lit tip. I like to have a beverage available while I smoke. Knock the ash off the lit end only when it's ready to fall. Draw and smoke slowly; relax and enjoy.

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #39 of 39
Cigars...another passion; please don't get me started, but...

It is amazing how you find your favorite cigar. I went to Nat Sherman to buy some accesories and a mixed box for some clients; George, the super cigar aficionado at Nat's proceeded to show me a few different smokes, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then, I was about to leave and he asked me...

"how long is the walk to your car?" (it's New York City, so it can be quite a distance)

I said, "well about 5 or six blocks"

George then pulled out one more cigar, put it in my hand, and said

"take your time and enjoy this!"

I then fell in love with a Nat Sherman Hunter

I try to substitute a Baccarat when I can't have the Hunter, but it is never the same. Cudos to George - he is The Cigar Man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back