Cigars
Dec 18, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hongda
Any cigar smokers out there? I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm just beginning. Tips on cutting, lighting?

Quit.

BW

Dec 18, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Quit.

BW

rolleyes.gif

If he wants to do this to himself, let him. It's not illegal.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 18, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 39
I enjoy both cigars and pipes

being in Canada, it's easier to find a Cuban cigar than a dominican
being said
the Cuban cigar companies are the authentic names, and have the origional trademark logo's and bands (unlike the dominican who is owned by a large swedish monopoly (pardon my ignornace but I forgot the name)

I prefer:
Montecristo, Romeo Y Julieta, H uppman, and Cohiba
from the cuban line
With the Romeo Y Julieta I prefer a corona size, the Montecristo the No4, if I'm smoking a Cohiba (which is quite a treat) I'll puff on a torpedo or a churchill size

ironically however, due to the lack of quality control, you can find a wide range of flavors between exactly the same cigar
It is not uncommon with Cubans, where as the domnicans who generally use a hybrid cuban seed and have better cured wrappers, usually are more consistant

relative to them all, the cubans do have more spicey flavor

Honduran Cigars are generally stronger (higher in nicoteen) so if you aren't a smoker, you will probably get dizy, usually a good Honduran is a Don Thomas

I like nicuraguan cigars, as they produce a couple good maduro's (of which I prefer)
Maduro's are the darker more chocolate looking cigars, they generally have a smoother and sweeter taste
I buy the Thomas Hindas torpedo's maduro's as they are a good value and a great smoke

oh, yah humidor's are important, get one relative to the size you want
don't buy a huge 300 cigar box and spend like a grand on it if you don't need
however a larger box is easier to maintain the humidity and temperature

light with a wooden match after the sulfur is burnt... however butane is just as good honestly

lighting is important
and
almost everyone I know who don't smoke cigars on a regular basis all light incorrectly

you take the cigar, about 4 inches above the flame you, allow the tip to cinge a bit, and rotate till there is a slightly char'd ring

as you start to light, you take light puffs while rotating the cigar and lowering it slowly towards the flame, ensuring an equal light and equal burn

hope this is good input for you
if you want to know about pipe smoking, there is even more to learn

Dec 18, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 39
Cohiba, Partagas, Montecristo, Romeo and Juliet among the best in the world.....All Cuban tobacco, be careful there are a lot of fakes arounds made in Domican Republic and so on....not same quality at all.....

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s

".....ironically however, due to the lack of quality control, you can find a wide range of flavors between exactly the same cigar.
It is not uncommon with Cubans, where as the domnicans who generally use a hybrid cuban seed and have better cured wrappers, usually are more consistant

relative to them all, the cubans do have more spicey flavor..."

Well the quality control in Cuban cigars is good if you get them from a trusty place or any official goverment store inside the island, the problem is the there is a lot of those cigars that came from the black market, that plague the quality control, well in fact there is none, as the QC is ruled by the gobernment and those in the black market are not subject to those regulations at all, even when they are made with the same exact materials...ansd the same exact people..

AFAIK Dominican cigars are not authorized to be produced nor sold under those names, and are considered fake, so IMO the QC is even worst, they have their own brands but the quality is not even similar.
Cohiba, Montecristo, Partagas, Romeo y Julieta, etc... are brands only authorized to be sold in Cuba, by the goverment, and export by them, but all of them are genuine hand made in Cuba. They do not have any branch outside the country, so Dominicans Cohibas, Montecristos, etc...are fake....be careful...

Dec 19, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 39
A few tips for the new smoker...

- Until your tastes develop, stick with Jamaican and Dominican cigars, as they are generally milder. Hondurans, Nicaraguans and (real) Cubans lean towards the full-bodied side, and you won't appreciate the complexities for a while. Royal Jamaican and Macanudo are great quality choices for your first forays, with Arturo Fuente a somewhat more full-bodied (though outstanding) selection.
- Use a butane lighter, not a Zippo or matches. With either of those methods, you'd be tasting something other than the tobacco. Don't let the visible tip of the flame quite touch the cigar while lighting it... just get it close and draw smoothly while rotating the stogie.
- For your first cutter, choose a VERY sharp guillotine style. The punch versions are somewhat limiting in the amoiunt of wrapper/binder they remove. Start with a shallow cut and test the draw, only cutting more if it still seems 'choked'. Never cut beyond the cap at the cigar's end (you'll see the transition to regular wrapper), or you risk it unraveling.
- Contrary to popular belief, larger ring size (diameter) cigars tend to be a bit milder than smaller smokes, like Coronas ans Panatelas, due to the increased surface area to dissipate heat and to provide additional filtration. You might want to look for a 46-47 ring to start, then try a variety of sizes along with brands.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you've got.

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
A good Romeo and juliet rocks :)

It sure does...

And so does an H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon... tonight's selection
600smile.gif

attachment.php

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
rolleyes.gif

If he wants to do this to himself, let him. It's not illegal.
rolleyes.gif

LOL, as pointed out, that is not completely true! I know a couple of guys who make a big deal out of getting Commie cigars whenever they are in Canada. I think that, theoretically, you can get MAJOR jail time for possessing a Commie cigar in the good 'ol US of A.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #14 of 39
Oh, man! All this talk of cigars is making my mouth water. I haven't had a truly good cigar in over a year. That one was my first Cuban Cohiba in Leeds, UK. I used to have a $50/week habit back in college. Mmmmm, I've got a bone-dry humidor full of Montecristo's at my right. If anyone has any revitalizing tips, please let me know.

Dominicans would probably be the best for the novice. My recommendations... Macanudo or H. Upmann.

I'm all a'twitter. Ah, what the hell, here's a picture...

DSCN0837.JPG

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 39
Beware! unless you have a lot of cash to burn. It is one of my favorite hobbies. Someone recommended honduras and domincan cigars, they know what thier talking about, go with that. A personel fav. Guantanamara. Fuentes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back