Cigars
Dec 19, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
LOL, as pointed out, that is not completely true! I know a couple of guys who make a big deal out of getting Commie cigars whenever they are in Canada. I think that, theoretically, you can get MAJOR jail time for possessing a Commie cigar in the good 'ol US of A.

Not true at all. My sister and brother-in-law go to Cuba twice a year with a group from their church (my bro-in-law is a pastor), and they regularly bring back Cuban cigars with them on every visit (they don't smoke, they give them to friends). They fly through Canada, but always declare them when crossing the border into the US. They once got questioned about it at the border, but they showed the customs officer a printiout of the exact rule allowing Cubans to be brought across the border into the US. There is a limit on how many can be brought across (maybe 20 or 30 per person?), but they often have 6-8 people they are travelling with and split them up.

Where you get into trouble is if you bring too large a quanity into the US or if you sell them. Buying them and using them for personal use is legal, selling them is illegal. Some people do it anyways, my bro-in-law told me about a friend of his who goes to Cuba on occasion and brings back the maximum amount, and then sells them to his friends for a considerable amount. He pays for his trips and then some by selling the cigars. Illegal but profitable.

-Keith

Dec 19, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 39
Cohiba's all the way. Even quality control on these can be hit and miss. Most of the time spot on, but every now and then tight and un-smoke able. Good shops will take them back, but strange taking a smoked cigar back and asking for your money back.

Dec 19, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_superlove
Oh, man! All this talk of cigars is making my mouth water. I haven't had a truly good cigar in over a year. That one was my first Cuban Cohiba in Leeds, UK. I used to have a $50/week habit back in college. Mmmmm, I've got a bone-dry humidor full of Montecristo's at my right. If anyone has any revitalizing tips, please let me know.

Dominicans would probably be the best for the novice. My recommendations... Macanudo or H. Upmann.

I'm all a'twitter. Ah, what the hell, here's a picture...

DSCN0837.JPG

H Upmann is a Cuban brand, same as Chiba and Montecristo...etc...they are only authorized to be produced and sold in Cuba, any Dominican H Upmann is fake, and compared to the originals, is a joke....

Dec 19, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 39
sovkiller,

You're mistaken about Cuban brands only being authorised to be sold in Cuba. For one thing, the official Cuban retaier, Casa De Habanjo, sells Cuban cigars all over the world...including in Cuba.

Now, it is fair to say that it can be a bit tricky buying Cuban cigars outside of an official Cuban retailer. However, such cigar stores as Davidoff in Geneva are certainly selling the genuine article.

BTW - if any of you are ever in Switzerland or northern France (near Evian and Lake Geneva) ever want a real treat, I suggest a visit to the aforementioned Davidoff store. I could have spent thousands of dollars in that place.

More clarification about Cuban cigars and entry into the United States: it is NOT legal to PURCHASE Cuban cigars and bring them back into the US if they originate in ANY country OTHER than Cuba. For example, I live just accross the river from Windsor, Canada. I could run shuttles back and forth accross the border all night and day if it were legal to buy Cuban cigars in Canada and bring them to Detroit. It's not. One must be able to PROVE that one has been to Cuba in order to bring back Cuban cigars legally. There's a limit (I think it's less than $500, which is a TON of money in Cuba) to how much you can bring back, the idea being that it's for personal consumption only.

So...you want to go to Cuba? Good luck!! There are a few visas handed out every year for students, journalists, and missionaries. Other than that, unless you work for the Military or the State Department, you're not going to get there.

Now...about starter cigars...

I'd recommend a good, mild Dominican cigar as a starter. Stick with a smaller ring gauge at first, as the larger sizes tend to be fuller-bodied. I've always liked the Arturo Fuente with a Connecticut Shade wrapper (it's the lighter colored one). Once you make a determination about whether you like a milder or fuller-bodied cigar, you can try some other cigars. I'd try a Maduro (they are the darker cigars...they use Connecticut Shade wrapper that's allowed to darken in the sun prior to curing), or perhaps a Cameroon wrapper. For the filler tobacco, the Honduran cigars are typically fuller bodied, although I don't like the flavor of a mostly Honduran filler. I prefer some Nicaraguan tobacco in my blend...it's full bodied but the flavor is more refined IMHO.

Some non-Cuban cigars worth trying once you get your sea legs:

1) Hoyo De Monterray Excalibur (also comes in Maduro wrapper!!)
2) Padron (also comes in Maduro wrapper!!)
3) Partagas (Cameroon wrapper!!)
4) Puros Indios (also comes in Maduro wrapper!!)

I don't recommend Cuban cigars to the new smoker. They tend to be very full-bodied, and it's truly rare that a new cigar smoker would be up to it. That said, my personal favorites:

1) Partagas Lusitania and Serie D
2) Montecristo A
3) Bolivar Royal Corona
4) Romeo & Julietta Churchill

BTW - I really don't smoke much any more. For about 10 years, I smoked fairly regularly (maybe a couple of times a month), and made fairly regular trips to Canada. I've since had multiple sinus surgeries, and developed some fairly nasty allergies. Those things don't mesh well with regular cigar smoking. I do still on RARE occasions enjoy a good cigar...but it's been a while.
frown.gif

Enjoy it in moderation...good luck!!

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #22 of 39
Woah. Thanks guys. I tried checking out a cigar/wine store yesterday. The guy however had lost his tobacco license for some reason and couldn't sell anything. Said he had about 40k worth of merchandise in his case which he couldn't move until he got a new license, which could take a few weeks...

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
sovkiller,

You're mistaken about Cuban brands only being authorised to be sold in Cuba. For one thing, the official Cuban retaier, Casa De Habano, sells Cuban cigars all over the world...including in Cuba.

I know that Tom, they export to the whole world, but what I was trying to say, is that all the boxes, all of them say "made in Cuba" nobody except Cuba is authorized to make them so Domincan Cuban brands are fake, that is what I was trying ot say...sorry if I was not clear enough....

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #24 of 39
A good cigar is probably the best tobacco smoke you can get. Well into my third decade of cigar smoking, I really did not appreciate it when the cigar fad took off in the late 80s and prices went way up. You want handmade cigars. Since my preference runs to strong, spicey stogies, that's where my recomendations run, too. While I've smoked perfectly acceptable Jamaican, Dominican, Mexican, and Cuban cigars (Still have a dozen or so big Cohibas in the Igloodor
biggrin.gif
), it's pretty hard to beat a Arturo Fuente 858. Make sure you get yourself a nice big ringsize. Of the three elements of a cigar, wrapper, filler, and construction, while paying attention to all three, you will find good construction allowing an easy draw and an even burn, to be fully as important as the other two.

Your cutting utensil should be sharp, and while I started out with an expensive guillotine type cutter, nowadays I find a sharp pair of Fiskars kitchen shears works just as well. Try cooking the end of your cigar well above the flame of a butane lighter until it's evenly charred all the way around before inhaling to light it; seems to get it going the most evenly for me. Since I buy cigars in quantity when the prices are right, I need some serious storage space. My "Igloodor" is a 24 quart Igloo cooler with a good tight seal on the lid. I glued a greenhouse hydrometer inside the lid and humidify with a good sized sponge wrung out mostly dry. Works like a charm unless you need the ostentation of a fancy wood box; I do not.

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
H Upmann is a Cuban brand, same as Chiba and Montecristo...etc...they are only authorized to be produced and sold in Cuba, any Dominican H Upmann is fake, and compared to the originals, is a joke....

You're only partially right. H. Upmann is a brand that originated in Cuba. That doesn't mean that they don't make cigars with Dominican wrappers and filler. They certainly aren't fake. Neither are Cohibas or Montecristos of Dominican origin. Just like certain headphones in the Sennheiser line, you can find stinkers in any of their lines too.l

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #26 of 39
The one inexpensive Habanos I like and usually buy is the Diplomatico No. 2.
that's our "everyday" smoke. the others that are mentioned can get pretty pricey.
The Bolivar belicoso fino and hoyo de monterrey epicure no. 2 are both very nice smooth habanos for the novice or experienced smoker.

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 39
Well, given that the Super Bowl was today, and that it was reasonably warm outside (45 degrees!!), I decided to buy and smoke a cigar. In this case, it was a Puros Indios torpedo (a big one...I'd wager it had a 60 ring gauge at its widest point) with a maduro wrapper. It's a nice, powerful smoke (how could it not be...it's enourmous!!), with loads of spices, chocolate and coffee tastes. The finish is a bit rough, but that's probably because it's burning a bit hot. I'm in and out because of the cold, and I'm drawing off it quite a bit when I'm outside. Nice...I miss cigar smoking.
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #28 of 39
Hoyo de Monterrey du Prince and on better days Cohiba Coronas Especiales.
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 39
Has anyone tried Acid cigars (made by Drew Estate)? My brother had a box of Acid Kuba Kubas for his wedding and the birth of his son, and I've got to say they are very, very good cigars. Over xmas my brother-in-law also got a really nice deal on a sampler of nearly all of Drew Estate's cigars, and the Ambrosia line (spiced blends) is also an excellent smoke.

anyway, my 2¢ on the subject. I've yet to try an authentic high quality Cuban...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back