ciem's vs uiem's???
Oct 13, 2013 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I have a question re iems.
I have always been pro over ears as I dislike iem's in my ears.
That being said I have only used cheaper ones.
I am considering a pair of custom in ears for commuting.
Are customs more or less comfortable?
The sound should be better through seal etc so that goes without saying.
Any major differences in customs vs universal would be greatly appreciated.

Also any advice for someone wanting to try some customs that are decent without needing a mortgage?

:)

Thanks in advance

Scott

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi scott,

CIEM are suppose to be more comfortable since they fit the shape of your ears, but that said, I have a few friends who could never get use to the feeling of their CIEMs. It was not so much of a comfort issue, but just the feeling of something so deep inside their ears as compared to the universals. Why not start with some universals for now? If you are okay with the feeling of something inside your ears, then customs would be the next step for you. You would not want to make a pair of customs only to realize that you dislike the feeling of having something inside your ear canal..

:)

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi all,

I have a question re iems.
I have always been pro over ears as I dislike iem's in my ears.
That being said I have only used cheaper ones.
I am considering a pair of custom in ears for commuting.
Are customs more or less comfortable?
The sound should be better through seal etc so that goes without saying.
Any major differences in customs vs universal would be greatly appreciated.

Also any advice for someone wanting to try some customs that are decent without needing a mortgage?

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance

Scott

its a toss up, customs could be more comfortable depending on the universal at hand. also if you get really good molds are the shells are pretty exact to your ears and canal then they should be comfortable.

as far as seal, with the right tip you can achieve just as good of a seal with universals as much as customs. some people might even see a better seal with universal per different materials you can use for tips ie: medical grade silicone,foam,comply style foam ect.

as far as the differences in customs vs universals, we need to know what customs and what universals you are talking about. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 4
You need to get really good impressions done from a reputable Audiologist (or similar) for Customs....no question there!

I went from a Westone 4 to UERM's and the fit (Not to mention the SQ) was a quantum leap - I tried many different tips with the Westones, but just couldn't get a good, clean fit...plus the comfort factor was not great.

The UERM's fit beautifully and I can wear them for hours...it takes a while to get used to having something like that in your ears.

As above asks...what Universals and Customs are you looking at? - What is your Budget?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back