CIEM or Re-shell?
May 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tehsprayer

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Westone 3 and got it from Amazon for $160 when it was on sale for a couple of weeks, they are great.

Although, I like the around the ear style but it sometimes gets annoying to roll the comply tips, place in ear and wait for it to seal. Also they sometimes seal differently and sound off.

I am looking for a CIEM for quick and easy put in ear and it is automatically sealed but for under $500.

I was thinking either get them re-shelled, or sell the Westone 3 then buy something like the JH 5 Pro.

May 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 16
If you like the sound of your W3 (and are in the USA) - send them to Inearz for reshelling - you will need to buy a cable and pay for the reshell - $130 - so for $290 you will have a CIEM that will blow away anything at that price point.

I have a pair of W4R's made into a CIEM and they are brilliant (for what they are - I like the signature)

So you have to ask yourself, do you like the sound of your W3's - if you do (I have a pair and I like them a lot - they are fun as hell) why not?

May 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 16
I would buy the JH5. The JH5 is on a higher level than the W3 and imo it is nice to have both custom and universal depending on your uses. Also at $400 it is very hard to beat the JH5. 

May 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 16
  If you like the sound of your W3 (and are in the USA) - send them to Inearz for reshelling - you will need to buy a cable and pay for the reshell - $130 - so for $290 you will have a CIEM that will blow away anything at that price point.

I have a pair of W4R's made into a CIEM and they are brilliant (for what they are - I like the signature)

So you have to ask yourself, do you like the sound of your W3's - if you do (I have a pair and I like them a lot - they are fun as hell) why not?

Unfortunately I am from Canada. I do enjoy the sound of the W3 but I have nothing for it to compare it, only the Klipsch S4. I could probably sell the W3 used for the price I purchased them for or even more. I just got them at Christmas and they sell for around $300 market value today.

May 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 16
Canada is still North America - Inearz and JH Audio are both in Florida - shipping back and forth isn't too much extra - aren't you guys up north part of the USA anyway? The sane and nice part? 
bigsmile_face.gif

But really - a reshelled W3 is a three BA three way CIEM - the mids come forward a bit and the sibilance that can be heard with a poor seal fades in the background - and the bass is still big. The JH5 is a nice headphone from what I have heard - just remember that all these headphones use BA drivers and resistors and wires that are essentially similar - a headphone that started out as a CIEM isn't necessarily better than a CIEM that started out a Universal, IMHO. It is all about the signature - what you like... If you like the W3 - then you will really like the CIEM version.

May 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 16
  1964 ears also do reshells fwiw.

$299 - ouch - their quality is good (my V8 Universals are like little jewels) but that price is a stretch. Also 4-5 weeks turnaround - Inearz is 14-20 business days.

May 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 16
  $299 - ouch - their quality is good (my V8 Universals are like little jewels) but that price is a stretch. Also 4-5 weeks turnaround - Inearz is 14-20 business days.

14-16 days - wow.... Maybe I should reshell my W3's.. 

Actually, I use them to let friends and co-workers hear my DX90 - color them impressed. I haven't let anyone touch my V8 Universals - although my wife spotted them in my ears today - they are red and she likes red - and her birthday is Monday... ugh, I have to be strong.

May 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 16
  14-16 days - wow.... Maybe I should reshell my W3's.. 

Actually, I use them to let friends and co-workers hear my DX90 - color them impressed. I haven't let anyone touch my V8 Universals - although my wife spotted them in my ears today - they are red and she likes red - and her birthday is Monday... ugh, I have to be strong.

You could always get her a pair of red dual universals from 1964 ears :)

May 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm stuck on if I should sell the Westone 3 lightly used for around $200 and then buying a CIEM for $400ish

Or keep the W3 and re-shell through InEarz for $95 + cable.

Getting something like the JH5 Pro worth the extra cost?

May 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 16
Bump

Would you guys recommend selling the W3 and getting the V3 1964ears or JH5 Pro.

Or I could get it from InEarz for cheap  although, 1964 and JH have better shelling qualities

Does anyone know the drivers in the W3 and if they are similar to other 3-driver configs other CIEMs use?

May 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Not sure where you got info that Inearz molding capabilities are substandard to 1964 and JH Audio - I wouldn't agree with that and I've owned all three - My impression is that they are close to equals. Check out Inerarz Facebook page for examples... Not trying to be a shill - I just spent bank at 1964 Ears - but I was pleased with their quality, service and most of all - quick turnaround.

May 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 16
  Not sure where you got info that Inearz molding capabilities are substandard to 1964 and JH Audio - I wouldn't agree with that and I've owned all three - My impression is that they are close to equals. Check out Inerarz Facebook page for examples... Not trying to be a shill - I just spent bank at 1964 Ears - but I was pleased with their quality, service and most of all - quick turnaround.

Do you know where I can get my own impression kit? The only audiologoist in my area works weekdays and cannot find time to get there. The only place that offers to use your their impression kit is from InEarCustom, another cheap service

Users who are viewing this thread

Back