CIEM for ~$600
Jun 13, 2015 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
Criteria:

-Deep, fast, impactful bass (I don't mean impactful as in LCD-2's, those have almost no impact), I like to really feel the bass
-Crystal clear mids (I like HD600/HD650 mids but they aren't as clear as they could be, LCD-2's mids are very clear), laid back (more so than HD650's or HD600's both are somewhat too intimate for me)
-Detailed, revealing, and fast treble (I really like the detail, soundstage, and imaging on the AKG K712 pros)
-Large soundstage (again like the K712 pros)

I listen to mostly rap/hip-hop, rock/metal, jazz, pop, and most others excluding country. Let's say my budget is ~$600 for right now, but I am not opposed to spending more. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 22
You will be struggling to find what you are after.
You basically want the best of each flagship headphone combined into a ciem for <$600.

The Lear 4.2 comes to mind. But its closer to $1100us.
Maybe the um Merlin's, but they lack the mids you are after and sound a bit fake up top.
Maybe the 1964 v6s, but it might not have enough bass for you.

My iems have most of the traits you are after but are universal and also a bit more than you want to spend.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could provide you options.

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 22
You will be struggling to find what you are after.
You basically want the best of each flagship headphone combined into a ciem for <$600.

The Lear 4.2 comes to mind. But its closer to $1100us.
Maybe the um Merlin's, but they lack the mids you are after and sound a bit fake up top.
Maybe the 1964 v6s, but it might not have enough bass for you.

My iems have most of the traits you are after but are universal and also a bit more than you want to spend.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could provide you options.

Okay, when I was looking around, a couple that I saw in my price range and might be what I want were the 1964-Qi and JH Audio JH5 Pro. Anyone know anything about these two?

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 22
Okay, when I was looking around, a couple that I saw in my price range and might be what I want were the 1964-Qi and JH Audio JH5 Pro. Anyone know anything about these two?

I haven't heard the jh5 but I have owned the jh7 and can safely say it won't give you what you are after if it sounds similar, which from what I have read it does.

The 1964 qi could work. Though again haven't heard it myself.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 22
I haven't heard the jh5 but I have owned the jh7 and can safely say it won't give you what you are after if it sounds similar, which from what I have read it does.

The 1964 qi could work. Though again haven't heard it myself.

Okay, another higher priced one that I think might work is the UM Mriacle.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 22
Okay, another higher priced one that I think might work is the UM Mriacle.

Miracle I have heard. To me it sounds quite lean. Same flavour in the highs as the Merlin, but with better mids.
Very neutral iem.
The bass is very fast and controlled and goes deep but lacks impact.
If you try the miracle and like it but think it sounds a bit bass light definitely try the Merlin. It might get you over the line.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Miracle I have heard. To me it sounds quite lean. Same flavour in the highs as the Merlin, but with better mids.
Very neutral iem.
The bass is very fast and controlled and goes deep but lacks impact.
If you try the miracle and like it but think it sounds a bit bass light definitely try the Merlin. It might get you over the line.

Actually further to that, I previously owned the mentor.
That could fit your bill. It is a great all round iem. But quite expensive new. You could however pick up a pair 2nd hand and have them reshelled by um themselves.

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 22
JH16 used in the FS forum, reshelled by Inearz.

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Actually further to that, I previously owned the mentor.
That could fit your bill. It is a great all round iem. But quite expensive new. You could however pick up a pair 2nd hand and have them reshelled by um themselves.

Okay thanks for the info on those.

How about the RSM from Alclair?

From reviews they look like they could work for me, the only thing is some say the soundstage is on the small side. What do you think about this?

JH16 used in the FS forum, reshelled by Inearz.

Thanks for the suggestion but on something like this I would like to buy new, just in case I don't like them I don't have to worry about reselling.

After I have thought about it more also, I will stretch my budget up to $800 but this is the max I want to spend. I will do some research about the suggestions that have been offered so far, others are still welcome :).

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 22
Hi jordannn15,

Which reviews were you looking at? I never felt the soundstage small in comparison to other customs.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 22
If you get a new custom and you don't like it you're still not going to recomp all your costs.  If you buy a CIEM for $800 and you find out that you don't like it, then you will take a loss on it.  You'll probably sell it for $500-$550, because the next person will have to reshell it.  That's why I suggested buying used you can get a top tier custom used and it doesn't matter because you'll get it remolded to your ears anyways.  If you get a used one, and you sell it you won't take as much of a loss..

I've also owned the JH5 and the Miracle.  The JH5 is closer to your description, it's the entry level JH custom, but they squeeze a lot of performance out of it for only having 2 drivers per ear.  The miracle has an expansive sound stage, and awesome mids, but the bass is light there isn't much impact.  It has much less bass than say a TF10.  The highs are not sparkly or extended.  

Here's a JH16 for $499 with the reshell it would put you around $650

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771296/jh-audio-jh16pro-freqphase-custom-iem-8-ba-drivers

Here's a good page for CIEM reviews.  I have also owned the Thousand Sounds TS842, which I think would fit you well 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-check-first-post-for-review-links-information

Quote:

Okay thanks for the info on those.

Thanks for the suggestion but on something like this I would like to buy new, just in case I don't like them I don't have to worry about reselling.

After I have thought about it more also, I will stretch my budget up to $800 but this is the max I want to spend. I will do some research about the suggestions that have been offered so far, others are still welcome :).

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 22
I'd suggest a universal, that way if you don't like it you won't lose much.  Like this one T-PEOS H-100 Hyrbid IEM.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back