CI Audio VHP-2 vs. Single Power MPX - an unfair match?
May 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #91 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which begs the question: Here we have a thread in which a small group of people were expressing their appreciation for a little-known solid-state amp, and while, by your own admission, you have no real interest in SS amps...

...you nevertheless found it necessary to join the thread to tell them a story about someone you know who rejected the amp they were all quite excited about in favor of the brand/type you prefer. What exactly was your intent?

Tim

The answers to your questions was plainly stated earlier in this thread.

1) I always read these threads that seem to promise performance to good to be true .... and that potentially ignite a FOTM .... with interest.

2) I simply offered a valid counterpoint that the CI is possibly not a "giant killer". Not everyone is hearing the CI as a giant killer as evidenced by my friends opinion.

May 26, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #92 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...you nevertheless found it necessary to join the thread to tell them a story about someone you know who rejected the amp they were all quite excited about in favor of the brand/type you prefer. What exactly was your intent?

Tim

His intent was no different than your intent own intent, which was to offer an alternate opnion. Like the OP, that opinion was derived from from someone who has actually owned both a Singlepower and a CI Audio amp. What you keep on insisting is that he's injecting his own opinion, when in fact he is not. The holder of that opinion also has posted in this thread, gtortorella.

It seems obvious to me that all you and some others want to say is that the CI Audio, is a "giant killer", killing the expensive MPX3, and pass it around as some kind of universal truth. All that was pointed out is that there are valid opinions who do not hold the opinion that you do. Also keep in mind that FOTM crazes are not limited to newly released products. If you truly love your amp as much as you do, then you should enjoy it regardless of who says otherwise. However, it appears fairly clear to me that by continuing to carry this issue through the mud, your intent isn't as harmless as what you attempt to portray.

Have you, tfarney, ever heard any of the amps in question?

I'm personally fairly intrigued by this amp given that it's been referred to as "neutral". I'd love to see whether it can indeed pass muster on that basis.

May 26, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #93 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The answers to your questions was plainly stated earlier in this thread.

1) I always read these threads that seem to promise performance to good to be true .... and that potentially ignite a FOTM .... with interest.

2) I simply offered a valid counterpoint that the CI is possibly not a "giant killer". Not everyone is hearing the CI as a giant killer as evidenced by my friends opinion.

Just wondering what seems to be "to (sp) good to be true" about this amp? I reread the thread and there are 7 members that give high praise for this amp based on personal experience. Your "valid counterpoint" is based on one "friends" opinion...and he hasn't expressed just what he found so "very underwhelming" as of yet.

I find it interesting that the first mention of a "giant killer" I believe is in your own post #49 "Everyone is ready to proclaim the CI giant killer status based on one persons apparent dissatisfaction that his more expensive amp isnt that much better then the CI with AKG 701's." I think that may be a bit of hyperbole. The members of this forum that expressed an opinion of the CI amp were doing so based on personal experience and not as you state "based on one person's apparent dissatisfaction" And has anyone let alone everyone proclaimed it "giant killer status"?

In that same post #49 you state "I broke up the SP negativity even if doing so was inadvertant. Because, what certain people really seem to want is not for the CI to be really good. But, to be able to claim the SP is not that great."
I don't agree. I think the tone of this whole thread is just how good the CI amp is (well, except for your friend) . I think everyone also agrees that the SP is a very good amp. Offhand I don't recall anyone putting the SP down...maybe you can point them out for me.

May 26, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #94 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems obvious to me that all you and some others want to say is that the CI Audio, is a "giant killer", killing the expensive MPX3, and pass it around as some kind of universal truth. All that was pointed out is that there are valid opinions who do not hold the opinion that you do. Also keep in mind that FOTM crazes are not limited to newly released products. If you truly love your amp as much as you do, then you should enjoy it regardless of who says otherwise. However, it appears fairly clear to me that by continuing to carry this issue through the mud, your intent isn't as harmless as what you attempt to portray.

Have you, tfarney, ever heard any of the amps in question?

I'm personally fairly intrigued by this amp given that it's been referred to as "neutral". I'd love to see whether it can indeed pass muster on that basis.

Where did you read that? I think you missed the entire point of the thread. No one was saying the CI is better than the SP, but everyone was saying that something like the SP and Zana only offers marginal improvement over the VHP-2. No one said it killed giants, we just like how well it performs for the money. Quite a few people in this thread are being overly protective about the SP, why? Are other companies not allowed to make good products that offer SQ close to that of a SP for a reasonable price?

There is also something that's the opposite of an FOTM, I call it obsession. If the CI is FOTM, then the SP is an obsession. Pick your poison.

May 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #95 of 116
I have not heard either the SP or the CIAudio, nor have I commented on the quality, relative or otherwise, of either one of them. And this thread, it seems to me, has been, in spite of itself, about 3 things:

1) CIAudio owners appreciating their amps.

2) How much difference amps of similar capabilities really make in systems

3) Neutrality and color

If it has been about "Giant Killers" anywhere but in the minds of those who came here to kill giant killers, I missed that entirely. I'm sure all the bluster could have been avoided if only the words "Single Power" had been left out of the title. Of course that would have sort of defeated the purpose of his thread. Where is the OP by the way?

Quote:

However, it appears fairly clear to me that by continuing to carry this issue through the mud, your intent isn't as harmless as what you attempt to portray.

My contributions to this discussion, up until my last post, have been about neutrality and the impact of changing amps in a system, not the issue of CIAudio vs. Singlepower. I have made no "attempt" in that discussion to appear harmless or otherwise. In the last post, addressed to SACD, I edited carefully in an attempt to be polite. Sometimes the very direct first thought that comes to someone in the heat of a discussion is best if tempered a bit. That is not disguising intent. I think my intent was pretty clear.

Tim

ON EDIT: Actually, as I look back through, this thread has been about quite a bit more than the 3 things I listed above. And it has been a very interesting thread with a bunch of sidebars, much more interesting than any comparison of two amps, regardless of the price gap between them. Actually, the most tedious part of the thread has been this SP vs CIAudio nonsense. I'm sorry I participated in it. And SACD Lover, I'm sorry I questioned your motives. My apologies. TF

May 26, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #96 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are other companies not allowed to make good products that offer SQ close to that of a SP for a reasonable price?

You are just not allowed to say it in public!

There is also something that's the opposite of an FOTM, I call it obsession. If the CI is FOTM, then the SP is an obsession. Pick your poison.

There are worst obsessions and I think you characterized it well. SP must have the best PR and marketing plan around; i.e., suppress the competition....killllll!!!!!!
wink.gif

There is only SinglePower!
There is only SP!
Think SP!.....
I know you want one!
Resistance is fut....!
SinglePower....

I think I am having to much fun with this one, sorry.

May 26, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #97 of 116
SinglePower is a Cmoy right
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #98 of 116
On a separate, but somewhat related issue, I just read a review that compared and contrasted to amps based on the listener's ability to hear the difference between a singer parting her lips and moistening her lips. Given that has never even occurred to me to listen for such a difference, I can now confirm my suspicion that I am not an audiophile.

Tim

May 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #99 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are worst obsessions and I think you characterized it well. SP must have the best PR and marketing plan around; i.e., suppress the competition....killllll!!!!!!
wink.gif

There is only SinglePower!
There is only SP!
Think SP!.....
I know you want one!
Resistance is fut....!
SinglePower....

I think I am having to much fun with this one, sorry.

...and I think you're confusing SP with Microsoft.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

May 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #100 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering what seems to be "to (sp) good to be true" about this amp? I reread the thread and there are 7 members that give high praise for this amp based on personal experience. Your "valid counterpoint" is based on one "friends" opinion...and he hasn't expressed just what he found so "very underwhelming" as of yet.

I find it interesting that the first mention of a "giant killer" I believe is in your own post #49 "Everyone is ready to proclaim the CI giant killer status based on one persons apparent dissatisfaction that his more expensive amp isnt that much better then the CI with AKG 701's." I think that may be a bit of hyperbole. The members of this forum that expressed an opinion of the CI amp were doing so based on personal experience and not as you state "based on one person's apparent dissatisfaction" And has anyone let alone everyone proclaimed it "giant killer status"?

In that same post #49 you state "I broke up the SP negativity even if doing so was inadvertant. Because, what certain people really seem to want is not for the CI to be really good. But, to be able to claim the SP is not that great."
I don't agree. I think the tone of this whole thread is just how good the CI amp is (well, except for your friend) . I think everyone also agrees that the SP is a very good amp. Offhand I don't recall anyone putting the SP down...maybe you can point them out for me.

Here we go again .... someone gets off track and everyone follows. The whole tone of the post WAS how good the CI is claimed to be. As I said before I never commented on the OP's opinion. That was their opinion. I understand the issues was that the SP was not that much better in the OP's opinion but cost considerably more.

But, when I commented on my friends experiences that was somehow construed as protecting SP; when my post had nothing to do with SP .... and a whole sidebar developed because everyone jumped on one posters misinterpretation.

This comment started the ball rolling immediately after I originally posted ....

However, if an amp is pitted against an SP amp, a small army starts to gang up to protect the latter. It is as if it is totally inconceivable that another amp brand could be as enjoyable, nevertheless surpass, the SP. I am not talking about "technical" superiority of the amplifiers (although that may be a factor for many); simply the enjoyment thereof. It is also as if one person saying they enjoyed amp X more than an SP amp they tried, they've stepped on someone's turf/toes.

followed by this one ....

Of course SP are great amps, but you should be able to say they are not great amps without being treated like you just burnt a cross in a church. The OP of this thread had another thread that questioned the rising costs of SP amps, and the replies that followed would make you think a mortal sin has been committed.

Eventually I responded ....

I find it interesting, if you read all the posts in this thread, no one is defending SP. No one said the OP was wrong. Almost all the discussion centered on the CI amp itself or its discrete op amp topology.

The only post questioning the OP's assertion about the CI's goodness was me .... and that had nothing to do with SP.

But guess what? Despite my attempt at clarification .....

sacd lover, I'm not sure why you are being so defensive about SP. I haven't gone back to read all from the beginning today, but the way I read this discussion is that Singlepower is the top of the heap, the gleaming perfection that all others would hope to attain. Of course that comes at a price.

So, yes, SP was not the subject and it certainly was not mine.

As for the CI, I posted my friends opinion because the opinion was relevant. As I said, you see FOTM's develope from these type threads all the time. Many times I dont know anything about the product in question so I dont post. But, I had several lengthy discussions with my friend about his dissatisfaction with the CI and I was very clear on his opinion. I was skeptical and remain skeptical the CI is a "giant killer" as I termed the amp in relation to any amp .... not just SP. By the way, greggf did state ....

I think the problem may be that the VHP-2 truly is a giant-killer. It has gotten me to stop expensive rotation of equipment, to stop and take an extended listen.

Next, the comments I made about the SP PPX3 were also relevant. We had on person saying the liked the CI nearly as well as a MPX3. But, my friend liked the Gilmore Lite, a similarly priced SS amp .... better. Plus, he liked a PPX3, which is the SP entry level amp and generally acknowledged to NOT be up to the MPX3's performance level better than both the CI and Lite. I thought this perspective added some balance to the assessment of the CI.

That an inexpensive chip amp was deemed "almost as good" compared to an expensive tube amp IS interesting. But, I had knowledge that ran directly in contrast to that opinion where a similarly priced SS amp the Lite was deemed better .... and that an entry level amp from the same manufacturer of the expensive tube amp was deemed superior to both SS units. Moreover, I know Glenn and how seriously he listens and evaluates his equipment so I trust his opinion. But, after I pass on the info it seems everyone missed the whole point and goes on about how SP cant be criticized or SP is protected.

back to my original post I summarized ....

So, on one hand we have a member who feels the CI was almost as good as a much more expensive MPX3. On the other hand, we have an experienced member who definitely preferred a similarly priced Gilmore Lite/ DPS to the CI Audio VHP-2.... and who overwhelmingly preferred a $425 used PPX3 to both.

This information should have given people food for thought rather than an excuse to attack.

May 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #101 of 116
Quote:

As for the CI, I posted my friends opinion because the opinion was relevant. As I said, you see FOTM's develope from these type threads all the time. Many times I dont know anything about the product in question so I dont post. But, I had several lengthy discussions with my friend about his dissatisfaction with the CI and I was very clear on his opinion. I was skeptical and remain skeptical the CI is a "giant killer" as I termed the amp in relation to any amp .... not just SP.

Furthermore, the comments I made about the SP PPX3 were also relevant. We had on person saying the liked the CI nearly as well as a MPX3. But, my friend liked the Gilmore Lite, a similarly priced SS amp .... better. Plus, he liked a PPX3, which is the SP entry level amp and generally acknowledged to NOT be up to the MPX3's performance level better than both the CI and Lite. I thought this perspective added some balance to the assessment of the CI.

That an inexpensive chip amp was deemed "almost as good" compared to an expensive tube amp IS interesting. But, I had knowledge that ran directly in contrast to that opinion where a similarly priced SS amp the Lite was deemed better .... and that an entry level amp from the same manufacturer of the expensive tube amp was deemed superior to both SS units. Moreover, I know Glenn and how seriously he listens and evaluates his equipment so I trust his opinion. But, after I pass on the info it seems everyone missed the whole point and goes on about how SP cant be criticized or SP is protected.

back to my original post I summarized ....

So, on one hand we have a member who feels the CI was almost as good as a much more expensive MPX3. On the other hand, we have an experienced member who definitely preferred a similarly priced Gilmore Lite/ DPS to the CI Audio VHP-2.... and who overwhelmingly preferred a $425 used PPX3 to both.

This information should have given people food for thought rather than an excuse to attack.

Your points are completely valid sacd lover, and im still wondering why this fight even started.

I certainly dont want to be part of making some new FOTM! May that stay far away from me!
eek.gif
Its just... after I got my VHP-2, it immidietly hitted me with a thought that my search for perfect amplifier (for me) has ended. I would LOVE to hear some SP amplifier someday, and I dont question that they are VERY good amplifiers, technically atleast, but I dont see reasons to upgrade my amplifier anymore. It delivers quite a bit of power too. Only thing that I truly want to upgrade anymore is source. It just is perfect for my ears because I simply cant hear anything wrong in its sound. What there is to upgrade?

May 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #102 of 116
Is it safe to go back on topic now?
smily_headphones1.gif

This amp really tweaks my curiosity. Two things that really interest me are the claim that it can handle up 700ohms and that it does treble better then the GLite. So far these are my only complaints with the GLite (though the treble issues may very well be the source since I've only experienced them on a few tracks).

I'd like to see this amp compared to the GLite, CKIII, and other amps roughly in this price range.

May 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #103 of 116
Quote:

Is it safe to go back on topic now?

Im not sure if this thread will ever go back to the topic unless OP finally posts his impressions.
tongue.gif

May 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #104 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your points are completely valid sacd lover, and im still wondering why this fight even started.

I certainly dont want to be part of making some new FOTM! May that stay far away from me!
eek.gif
Its just... after I got my VHP-2, it immidietly hitted me with a thought that my search for perfect amplifier (for me) has ended. I would LOVE to hear some SP amplifier someday, and I dont question that they are VERY good amplifiers, technically atleast, but I dont see reasons to upgrade my amplifier anymore. It delivers quite a bit of power too. Only thing that I truly want to upgrade anymore is source. It just is perfect for my ears because I simply cant hear anything wrong in its sound. What there is to upgrade?

I am glad you like your amp.
wink.gif

To be clear, I did not doubt the CI was good. I did not doubt the OP's opinion. I just doubt the CI would be assessed so highly against other more expensive amps by most people. For you, since you like the amp a source upgrade would be much more beneficial than trying another amp.

Again, SP is not the subject nor the only comparison. To be honest I am tired of hearing about SP in this thread.
eek.gif

I happen to have several non-SP tube amps as well because I plain like tubes. I have a Bottlehead Sex, two highly modded Doge 6210's, a Sound Quest SQ-84, Space Tech Lab 6AS7G and a new Darling 1626 based amp I am experimenting with. I just prefer tubes to SS for long term satisfaction.

If you are satisfied that is what counts. But, if you get the itch to try tubes I will tell you that I have always found something about tubes more engaging.

May 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #105 of 116
Quote:

not just SP. By the way, tfarney did state ....

I think the problem may be that the VHP-2 truly is a giant-killer. It has gotten me to stop expensive rotation of equipment, to stop and take an extended listen.

Minor clarification: I didn't say that, greggf did. My experience with studio, sound reinforcement and home speaker rigs, and my resulting views regarding the relative differences between competent electronic components, has kept me from initiating an expensive rotation of headphone equipment in the first place. I don't believe in giant-killers, because I don't believe in giants. MHO. YMMV.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back