CI Audio VHP-2 vs. Single Power MPX - an unfair match?
May 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

mmwwhats

100+ Head-Fier
I own both a CI Audio VHP-2 + VAC-1 and an upgraded Single Power MPX, and thought that after hearing just how good both sound, yet how dissimilar they are in price (the CI Audio combo is $580, while the MPX is $1800 w/ upgrades), that I'd do some head-fiers justice by comparing the two in an effort to describe just what this much money buys you these days.

For those who don't know, (but I'm sure you all do) the VHP-2 is solid-state op-ampless design, while the MPX is an OTL tube design. I'm using AKG K701s with both amps, and while the use of those phones does bring with it some caveat since they're difficult to drive (and an OTL design is sub-optimum), that's what I'm using so use your own discretion to sprinkle whatever salt you need to on my opinions. As for source, I'm currently using a stock squeezebox, so my comments are based on that. However, I will be receiving a Cambridge 840C in two days for use as DAC from the SB digital out. If my impressions of the amps change based on the source then I'll update then, however, I don't suspect they will.

I'm new to headphones, but not to audiophilia; I've spent my time until now with traditional speaker setups. I've owned a great number of highly acclaimed pieces ranging from affordable to high-end. I've spent some time listening to a JM Labs Grand Utopia Be setup being fed by a full DCS front end and top of the line VTL amps. Suffice it to say, that rig costs alot more than the average american home and I was not particularly impressed, not for that money or anything near it. My personal reference is a Audiomecca Mephisto transport feeding a Birdland Audio Platinum DAC into a Blue Circle BC-1 Galatea preamp into a Bel Canto 200.2 amp driving Von Schweikert VR-3.5 speakers all wired with JPS Labs valued at around $15K.

I'll update this thread with impressions as I have time, but mainly wrote this intro as just that - an intro. I wanted to get the threat up there to motivate myself to actually type up my impressions. I don't know about you head-fiers, but if I wasn't going to write this thing up piece-meal, I wasn't going to write, because I simply don't have the time to write up extensive impressions in one sitting.

Until next time...

May 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 116
I have owned a Singlepower MPX3 Slam, but I sold it. I am just as happy with my Channel Islands VHP2 and VAC1. The Channel Islands gear is simply amazing! I've listened to both amps with RS1's, HD650's, and K701's. I have absolutely no regrets about selling the Singlepower. I used the surpus cash for more music! I like the VHP2/VAC1 combo so much that I am considering a pair of D200 monoblock amps for my speakers.

May 7, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 116
I have a CIAudio VHP-2 and VAC-1 power supply combo, and have used it with an AKG K701 and use it with a Beyerdynamic DT770Pro80 and Sennheiser HD600 and HD650...

...and...

it's 95% + of what these same headphones were with my Zana Deux (and vastly better than anything else I've had or used otherwise, including a PS Audio GCHA and a Naim Headline2).

I don't believe tube rolling is the answer for a Zana deux or a Singlepower. I think the VHP-2 is quite remarkable. And for the price, unbelievable.

Not to mention cool-running - COLD in fact - compared to the Zana..........
cool.gif

May 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a CIAudio VHP-2 and VAC-1 power supply combo, and have used it with an AKG K701 and use it with a Beyerdynamic DT770Pro80 and Sennheiser HD600 and HD650...

...and...

it's 95% + of what these same headphones were with my Zana Deux (and vastly better than anything else I've had or used otherwise, including a PS Audio GCHA and a Naim Headline2).

I don't believe tube rolling is the answer for a Zana deux or a Singlepower. I think the VHP-2 is quite remarkable. And for the price, unbelievable.

Not to mention cool-running - COLD in fact - compared to the Zana..........
cool.gif

There is very little tuberolling you can do with the Zana .... not so the Singlepower. What tubes you use in the SP amps, particularly with low impedence / low sensitivity current hungry headphones, like the 701, will make a major difference.

May 7, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 116
sacd lover,

Yes, you're right about the singlepowers and tubes - much more leeway than with the ZD.

I think the gist here may be how asininely good the CIAudio is. We'll see what the OP says. I look forward to his posts...........

May 7, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 116
CIAudio's website says,

"--- it uses a unique current-feedback circuit rather than opamps."

The circuit-on-a-chip is made by TI.

I have no idea what this means or how it works. But it sure sounds swell. And drives everything well.

May 7, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 116
Quote:

CIAudio's website says,

"--- it uses a unique current-feedback circuit rather than opamps."

The circuit-on-a-chip is made by TI.

I have no idea what this means or how it works. But it sure sounds swell. And drives everything well.

CI's chip is a current output op amp vs voltage output op amp. My friend bought one of these and researched their claims thoroughly. They referred to the op amp as a discrete op amp to him.

The chip is still an op amp by my defintion.

May 7, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 116
Isn't "discrete op amp" an oxymoron? Or like a pregnant virgin?

May 8, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 116
I have listened to both and for the money the CI blows just about everyone out of the water. This is specially true of the higher priced amps.

In all honesty the Singlepower MPX3 w/ mods sound better but not 5 to 8 times better (depending of upgrades).

May 8, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 116
I already have an amp that I feel does what I want, but the VHP-2 just keeps interesting me. Especially after reading that it has amazing synergy with the DT770 (taking it to "reference level") while driving anything else well, from Senns to Grados.

May 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 116
anyone compared it with a Meier Opera? from what you guys are saying, it sounds like tit might come close, but i am curious since the opera seems to be the king of sub $1000 SS amps.

May 20, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 116
Quote:

Isn't "discrete op amp" an oxymoron? Or like a pregnant virgin?

not at all.

all discrete means is that each transistor is separate from its neighbors, and individually adjustable or controllable. There are a couple exceptions where you are BETTER off getting multiple transistors in the same part, but generally, each transistor is separate. Even in these cases, the individual components are often connected externally.

All opamp means is that the input impedance is (theoretically) infinity and the gain is (theoretically) infinity before the application of global feedback. Ideally, the input capacitance is zero: this applies more to tube op-amps than SS op-amps.

You can VERY easily build an opamp using entirely discrete parts. The b22 seems to be the current popular choice. this is not to say that it does not improve on many of the shortcomings of "chip-opamp" the fact that each transistor can be kept in class-a at all times is a great benefit to the performance of the op-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back