CI Audio VHP-2 vs. Single Power MPX - an unfair match?
May 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #32 of 116
tfarney,

The VHP-2, I guarantee - as much as there is any guarantee in this subjective and very personal world of Head-Fi - would drive your HD580 as well as they can be driven, short of Zana Deux territory.

I have no idea of what effect the VAC-1 power supply has. I use it. But I have never tried the stock walwart, which I think came with my VHP-2. (The box is downstairs. I am upstairs.
wink.gif
)

third eye,

I have used the VHP-2 with the K701, and it drives it very well. If you held a gun to my head, I'd probably say that it drives the Senn HD580/600/650 even better.

(As an aside, I'm trying the AKG K601 now. I think I know why nobody has the 601 and nobody talks much about it. God, what a compromised and forgettable headphone. Tyll is correct when he calls it "muffled".)

By the way, tfarney, Music Direct has, I believe, a 30 day trial on the CIA. If you should try it, please let us know how you feel about it with the 580.

May 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #33 of 116
I always read these threads that seem to promise performance to good to be true
eek.gif
.... and that potentially ignite a FOTM .... with interest.

However, in this case, I also have a story for you.....

A friend of mine here at head-fi originally had a Headamp Gilmore Lite/ DPS he was quite happy with. This member is a hardcore audio man whose purchases are limited by his family obligations and who only buys products he considers to have the absolute highest value for the buck.

He finally decided to try tubes and loved a standard PPX3 he demoed at home. He soon sold the Lite and ordered a new PPX3. But, then he got frustrated by the wait time and cancelled his PPX3 order.

He then bought the CI VHP-2 with the upgraded power supply. However, he was VERY underwhelmed with the VHP-2 and returned the amp. I talk to this member frequently and remember his disappointment clearly. Moreover, this member is a CI Audio supporter who has owned several CI products .... including their latest VDA-2 dac.

Soon thereafter, he went to last years summer Maryland meet and repurchased another Lite/ DPS Justin had at the meet. But, he just could not get into the Lite again after having the tube amp. He eventually found and purchased a used standard PPX3 in early January .... which he continues to be thrilled with using his preferred Senn 580/600 .... and sold the second Lite/ DPS

So, on one hand we have a member who feels the CI was almost as good as a much more expensive MPX3. On the other hand, we have an experienced member who definitely preferred a similarly priced Gilmore Lite/ DPS to the CI Audio VHP-2.... and who overwhelmingly preferred a $425 used PPX3 to both.

Interesting indeed!
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #34 of 116
Couple of headfiers (Voltron IIRC?) have mentioned that VHP2 is actually pretty close to Gilmore Lite. Both are transparent, but VHP2 is less sharp and "exciting"?

May 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #35 of 116
I find it really interesting what happens when amps are reviewed and compared to other amps, and then what happens when they are compared to SP amps.

An amplifier can be reviewed and praised, and contrasted against a wide array of other offerings on the market. Some agree, some don't, but overall it is all about subjective preferences and - no harm done.

However, if an amp is pitted against an SP amp, a small army starts to gang up to protect the latter. It is as if it is totally inconceivable that another amp brand could be as enjoyable, nevertheless surpass, the SP. I am not talking about "technical" superiority of the amplifiers (although that may be a factor for many); simply the enjoyment thereof. It is also as if one person saying they enjoyed amp X more than an SP amp they tried, they've stepped on someone's turf/toes.

Apologies for going off topic, I just find it interesting how different amps (as part of comparisons) yield different reactions in the community
wink.gif

May 24, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #36 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it really interesting what happens when amps are reviewed and compared to other amps, and then what happens when they are compared to SP amps.

An amplifier can be reviewed and praised, and contrasted against a wide array of other offerings on the market. Some agree, some don't, but overall it is all about subjective preferences and - no harm done.

However, if an amp is pitted against an SP amp, a small army starts to gang up to protect the latter. It is as if it is totally inconceivable that another amp brand could be as enjoyable, nevertheless surpass, the SP. I am not talking about "technical" superiority of the amplifiers (although that may be a factor for many); simply the enjoyment thereof. It is also as if one person saying they enjoyed amp X more than an SP amp they tried, they've stepped on someone's turf/toes.

Apologies for going off topic, I just find it interesting how different amps (as part of comparisons) yield different reactions in the community
wink.gif

While that might be true, there are other companies products that garner such a reaction in a much more pronounced way. If reaction to Singlepower yields a small army, these other companies would yeild world war type reactions. That said, regardless, you really should take impressions with a grain of salt. I've heard several very hyped products, and was very underwhelmed. Someday I hope to hear the CIAudio amp and I hope that it can meet the expectation put upon it.

May 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #37 of 116
Actually, the issue may be this:

Look at the former headphone amps in my signature.

While each had a distinct sound and feel to it, even the worst drove most headphones 98% as well as the best.

There is very, very little difference between competent headphone amps.

I've gone through as many as I have because I hang out at Head-Fi, and keep believing what's posted here about how great a certain this-or-that amp is.

It's not true. An amp makes only small and subtle differences.

I think tfarney is correct when he asks the pointed questions that he asks, here and in other threads.

The emperor has no clothes: it's not that the CIA is great and the Singlepower not-so-great or vice versa, it's that Head-Fi is a strange and wondrous place, populated by very, very interesting people who have highly developed and advanced imaginations that they seldom put to good or practical use.

May 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 116
Sorry I dont buy that. You may feel that way, but I dont at all. I just dont like most SS amps .... they always grate on me at some point and I lose interest in listening. This never occurs with my tube amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the issue may be this:

Look at the former headphone amps in my signature.

While each had a distinct sound and feel to it, even the worst drove most headphones 98% as well as the best.

There is very, very little difference between competent headphone amps.

I've gone through as many as I have because I hang out at Head-Fi, and keep believing what's posted here about how great a certain this-or-that amp is.

I think tfarney is correct when he asks the pointed questions that he asks, here and in other threads.

The emperor has no clothes: it's not that the CIA is great and the Singlepower not-so-great or vice versa, it's that Head-Fi is a strange and wondrous place, populated by very, very interesting people who have highly developed and advanced imaginations that they seldom put to good or practical use.

May 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #39 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While that might be true, there are other companies products that garner such a reaction in a much more pronounced way. If reaction to Singlepower yields a small army, these other companies would yeild world war type reactions. That said, regardless, you really should take impressions with a grain of salt. I've heard several very hyped products, and was very underwhelmed. Someday I hope to hear the CIAudio amp and I hope that it can meet the expectation put upon it.

And isn't that part of the fun?
I never heard total airhead but still enjoyed folks defending it's 'dignity' :p

May 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #40 of 116
Hahaha
biggrin.gif
cmoy's sound so much better than the Zana Deux
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you. Sometimes I feel so alone....
frown.gif

What appeals to me about what I've read in this thread and at musicdirect.com is very, very simple:

Neutral

Switchable gain settings for low and high eff phones (I want a 580 alternative someday that can be driven by my Airhead at the office and driven even better at home)

$399

I do believe that two reasonably neutral amps of similar power capabilities, driving the same load in the same system, will only make very subtle differences in the sound. That's pretty much what neutral means. At least I know that is true of pro audio, and of speaker rigs in general. I can't imagine it would be dramatically different in headphone systems (though the loads vary a lot more). That doesn't mean that switching out amps in a system - tube or otherwise - can't make a big difference. But it they are both driving the load adequately, with enough power and headroom that neither is sagging or clipping, if switching between them makes a dramatic difference in sound, then one or both of them is dramatically colored. Not that there's anything wrong with that. If you like the color, it's a good thing.

I will, someday, try out a good tube amp, and a good SS home amp, in my home, with adequate time to really hear what's there.

greggf, from now on, when people tell me I only believe what I believe because I don't have enough experience with enough high-end headphone amps, can I just refer them too you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

May 24, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #42 of 116
Greggf, if you get the time, can you listen to the VHP-2 through the wall-wart? I'm considering getting the VAC-1, but I'd like to know if there will be noticeable sonic differences.

May 24, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #43 of 116
trigger,

Yes, I just got the walwart out and will listen to it and post later on this thread.

=gregg=

May 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 116
Quote:

I have to say I notice this more and more all the time. That isn't to say that some other brands or products don't enjoy this kind of fanboyism, but it seems particularly prevalent with SP amps.

Of course SP are great amps, but you should be able to say they are not great amps without being treated like you just burnt a cross in a church. The OP of this thread had another thread that questioned the rising costs of SP amps, and the replies that followed would make you think a mortal sin has been committed.

Anyway... back on topic. Whatever the topology of the CIAudio stuff is, I don't really care because it all delivers incredible performance at such a great value. They don't seem to change their product line much either, so there isn't a lot of FOTM excitement surrounding their products, but they do deserve more attention than they get.

May 24, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #45 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP of this thread had another thread that questioned the rising costs of SP amps, and the replies that followed would make you think a mortal sin has been committed.

I think calling or giving an impression of calling any respected amp designer/builder in this forum a 'liar' is a mortal sin
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back