Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Feb 2, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #286 of 560
  RE- Burson Cable+ review

Its great that the Cable+ you got free improved your CCA sound so much.  I had not heard of the Cable+ so I learned a lot. Thanks for posting.

I do not think it is a good choice to improve CCA sound for those of us who have to pay for it.   The analog output of the CCA (which would connect to the Cable+) is highly compromised compared to the optical out which is near bit perfect.   Instead of spending $150 on a cable, spending $99-150 on a carefully chosen DAC + Optical cable would create a much more accurate source for your amp than a device that is designed to "fix" a bad source. 

Does this mean the dac output will sound better to you?  No, I am sure you know what you like.  But it WOULD produce a more accurate  signal.  More like the original recording.

I admit I am very skeptical of the Cable+.  I am skeptical of their explanation of how it works...not skeptical that it sounds "better" or different".  A boost in volume matched with tonal changes can often sound better.   How about this Boomcloud 360 enhancer on sale at Amazon for just $58 dollars.  

Regardless of my skepticism, unless you get it free, there is no way a device claimed by its manufacturer to overcome problems with lousy sources will be more accurate to the original sound that switching to a more accurate source (the CCA Optical Out).  

Allo group, Thank for the add. I read almost the whole thread. 

My source
- MP3 320kbps (can rip my cds in flac if it help).
- on a portable hard drive (can have a computer with Bubbleupnp DLNA server if it help). 
- connect VIA USB2.0 to a router (tp-link AC1750) with built in DLNA server 
- ....CCA ? 
- ..  DAC ?
- ... amplifier (To be determined)
- Magnepan MMG speaker (brand new, receive it today WAAAAAA)

I now control and access the MP3s with Bubbleupnp via android phone (nexus 5x) with Chromecast audio in another system . 

What do I need to keep the highest quality sound the the speakers ??! 
1- CCA -- DAC -- AMPLIFIER - MAGNEPAN
2- CCA - AMPLIFIER -MAGNEPAN 
3- (??)

I'M LOST. 

Thank you 

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #287 of 560

My source
- on a portable hard drive (can have a computer with Bubbleupnp DLNA server if it help). 
- ....CCA ? 
- ..  DAC ?

I now control and access the MP3s with Bubbleupnp via android phone (nexus 5x) with Chromecast audio in another system . 

3- (??)

I'M LOST. 

Thank you 

Use a quality toslink cable and Option #1 and you are golden.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #288 of 560

My source
- ....CCA ? 
- ..  DAC ?

3- (??)

I'M LOST. 

Thank you 

definitely re-rip your cds in flac at full 16/44.1 with no compression.  maggie's are revealing so they deserve your material to be as good as possible.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #289 of 560

definitely re-rip your cds in flac at full 16/44.1 with no compression.  maggie's are revealing so they deserve your material to be as good as possible.

Thank I'll. Is it worth it to use another DLNA server (bubbleupnp server) instead of the router AC1750 dlna server built in ? 
What dac around 200 $ I don't need amplification/portability. Only need optialcal in . RCA out. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #290 of 560

Thank I'll. Is it worth it to use another DLNA server (bubbleupnp server) instead of the router AC1750 dlna server built in ? 
What dac around 200 $ I don't need amplification/portability. Only need optialcal in . RCA out. 

I think you would be much better served using Minimserver (dlna server) and bubbleupnp server. What's in your router in typically not that robust.

For a dac, get in Schiit Modi Multibit. It's $250 and much loved. Check out the thread here. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #292 of 560

If a got

DLNA server - AC1750 router - Chromecast Audio digital to -- DAC RCA to -- Amplifier - 

What device control the volume ? I would like to control the volume with CCA is that possible ?  The amplifier volume must be at a fixed level (low, middle , high )? Any recommandations ? 

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #293 of 560
Yes, You can control the volume in your described setup with the Google "Home" app (which is what they call the chromecast app now).  You can also control the volume with your BubbleDNLA app from your phone (or most other DNLA apps I expect). Should sound great. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #294 of 560
  Yes, You can control the volume in your described setup with the Google "Home" app (which is what they call the chromecast app now).  You can also control the volume with your BubbleDNLA app from your phone (or most other DNLA apps I expect). Should sound great. 

The amplifier volume should be at (relatively) fixed volume. What are you recommending ? For best sound (all other things being equal)
1- Highest possible ?
2- Lowest possible ?
3- Dont do any difference?

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #295 of 560

What device control the volume ? I would like to control the volume with CCA is that possible ? 

I find the CCA digital volume works quite well, with no discernible degradation of sound quality even at low volume settings.

You can also control the volume with your BubbleDNLA app from your phone. 

The BubbleUpNp app for Android controls the volume of the CCA with 50 steps rather than the usual 20 steps or so of other smartphone music players. Eliminates the too-loud / too-quiet problem when setting volume.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #296 of 560
Digital is supposed to be easy... But DLNA... Bubblepop this.. Usb convertor that, mqa, bit perfect...

I am thinking about buying a record player... Can't be anymore confusing right?

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #297 of 560
Sprinkled through the postings here are some concerns about the quality of the power supplied to the CCA. I thought that I would try the option of improving the output of a typical charger supply by filtering and adding a reserve bank of capacitors. I started with a short USB extension cable that already had a ferrite bead on it. I then opened up the cable midway and added 10,000 mF of audio grade storage capacity and a set of progressively smaller bypass caps. The lower value bypass were film caps.

The neat thing with this option is that I can shift it around to wherever I need it.

To be honest I did not think that this device would improve the quality of the audio output of the CCA but I am pretty sure that it does. I will try switching it in and out over the next few days and report back.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #298 of 560
Usb power supplies...

Here us a strange one. I bought a powerboard that incorporates 2 x 2 amp usb charging ports.

My phone touchsreen goes bonkers when connected to those ports.

Then the battery life turned schiit... Out of nowhere... Having consistent battery performance for years.

Realising these two strange occurrence happened at the time I bought the power board... I figured the usb ports are killing my phone.

The battery life was restored finally... After I let the phone run down in power and switched off. I used the supplied charger to charge from complete empty. Battery was back to normal.

Must be a very bad charger to shorten battery life and mess with the touchsreen. I still don't understand it.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #299 of 560
Usb power supplies...

Here us a strange one. I bought a powerboard that incorporates 2 x 2 amp usb charging ports.

My phone touchsreen goes bonkers when connected to those ports.

Then the battery life turned schiit... Out of nowhere... Having consistent battery performance for years.

Realising these two strange occurrence happened at the time I bought the power board... I figured the usb ports are killing my phone.

The battery life was restored finally... After I let the phone run down in power and switched off. I used the supplied charger to charge from complete empty. Battery was back to normal.

Must be a very bad charger to shorten battery life and mess with the touchsreen. I still don't understand it.

That's pretty standard for putting phones that came before fast charging on fast charging ports. Older phones don't usually support more than 1 amp from a charger without overheating/ not charging/ causing issues like touchscreens playing up while plugged in.

A lot of people in the android community learnt about this way back when the one plus one came out.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #300 of 560
That's pretty standard for putting phones that came before fast charging on fast charging ports. Older phones don't usually support more than 1 amp from a charger without overheating/ not charging/ causing issues like touchscreens playing up while plugged in.

A lot of people in the android community learnt about this way back when the one plus one came out.

Interesting. My Nexus 5 phone supports two amp charging... But the usb ports are actually 2.4 amps.

I suspected that it was poor voltage regulation with ripples and peaks in the output and the phone only reading the peak voltage with no clue of RMS voltage and assumed phone was charged with false voltage reading. The higher voltage might mess with the phone circuitry. But I can't see how a well regulated voltage output could cause any problems no matter how high the amperage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back