Christmas gift for audiophile boyfriend?
Nov 27, 2010 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

michelleee634

New Head-Fier
Hey, so I'm new to this site, but thought it would be the perfect place to find information about presents for audiophiles. My boyfriend has tons of CDs (and is still adding to the collection) and various audiophile (sp?) headphones plus a headphone amplifier and SACD player. I was wondering if you lovely people could suggest some presents for him. Keep in mind I am a poor college student and my budget is limited. I've been thinking about getting him another headphone stand, but is that too boring? Thanks in advance for the help! Hopefully he doesn't see this post 
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 13
I would say some CDs, maybe some of your favorite music that you would like to share with him, would probably do the trick. I do also like the headphone stand idea as long as he now has more headphones than stands. :p

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 13
The perfect gift would be more music.  If he has headphones and a SACD player, check his music rack to see if he has any of the Zenph recordings.  If he doesn't, pick up a disc or two for him.

Without getting too geeky, the Zenph recordings are binaural, which is a real treat for anyone who loves headphones.  Also, some are on SACD, so you get a superb recording, too.  I buy everything Zenph puts out and love them, so I'd hope he'd enjoy them, too.

Also, gear aside, how about taking him to a concert or two?

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 13
I would suggest gift certificates from somewhere online like acousticsounds or elusivedisc.

If you want to get a physical gift, Uncle Erik's suggestions are great.

What's your budget?

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I would suggest gift certificates from somewhere online like acousticsounds or elusivedisc.

I think this is a good idea. For $20-40, you will be able to get your boyfriend at least a really well-recorded album.

I also don't think a headphone stand is boring - especially if he really needs another one. Get him something pretty from Woo Audio - as opposed to a banana rack from Wallmart
tongue_smile.gif
- and he should be happy.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Go with the headphone stand, a useful gift that will always be on display. IMO a gift certificate is too impersonal and a CD would just be one more on the shelf unless it's music that is meaningful to both of you. Just my 2 cents.

should you decide on the stand, here's a nice one.  http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps.html 

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Thank you guys so much! You've given me a lot of great ideas. I think I'm going to go ahead with the headphone stand from Woo Audio sine I know how much he loves that company. I'll let you know what his response is later on! 
smile.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 13
Any other suggestions anyone? I think a "What to get/ask for christmas" thread is a good idea.

so far we have:

* (Zenph) Well recorded cds
* Headphone stands
* Concert tickets

There certainly is more affordable stuff we like to get :D

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 13
i always wanted one of these things.  i think you control it with your laptop or computer and it automatically selects the cd/dvd for you.  there should be software that has pics of the stuff, you just click on that, and the thing opens up and presents your disk.  it holds 100 cds or dvds, so if he has like a 1200 cd selection and maybe like a 200 dvd collection, tell him to pick his favorites and put them in here.

http://www.amazon.com/Discgear-Selector-Auto-Retrieval-System/dp/B0015A70O8/ref=pd_cp_e_1

as for anything else, does he need a new mouse?  i just bought a microsoft explorer bluetrack mouse and its by far the nicest mouse i have purchased yet and i've tested a lot of them in this price range.  it was about 24 shipped and its amazing.  comes with a rechargeable battery and a reciever and a dock to charge it.  it also can go on any solid surface like carpet, floor, bottom of keyboard, you name it.  basically anything that isnt see through like glass.  here is the one i got:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-BlueTrack-Technology-Recharging-5AA-00001/dp/B001F7AP1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290983009&sr=1-1

and they have a laptop one:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-5BA-00001-Explorer-Mini-Mouse/dp/B001F7ARTQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1290983009&sr=1-3

does he play pc games?
i have worms armageddon that i could sell to you if you just pay shipping which would be like 7 dollars.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 13
get him some skullcandy hesh phones.  rip out the drivers. get some iGrados.  Rip out THEIR drivers.  Cleverly smuggle the grado drivers in the skullcandy skeleton. He'll look dissapointed when he sees you got him SKDY's, but he'll light up as soon as he hears the Grado signature sound (be warned.  the closed skdy's might sound a bit cramped compared to the open igrado)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back