Christmas Gift Advice (for me)
Nov 26, 2010 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rich77

100+ Head-Fier
Alright.

So I recieved a $75 check from my grandmother as a belated birthday gift, as well as $100 for the same reason. I anticipate another ~$150 coming in so that makes about $325. I only really want to spend 200-ish and I narrowed my search down to 2 headphones.

Senn HD595 (or 580 if I can find one)
Grado SR225
(insert hp/amp/dac you think is smart)

Right now I own ATH M50 running out of a uDAC 2.

My musical interests is basically everything, including classical (Mozart, Wagner, Tchakovsky etc), rock (Led Zeppelin, Third Eye Blind, Nirvana), jazz (Coultrane, Miles Davis), and some hip-hop (the Roots, Aesop Rock, Tribe Called Quest) and more. I will NOT be using these for movies or video games so soundstage isn't too big of a deal.  I already have the M50 to take care of my bass-heavy needs so I figured lets try out the Grados.
The HD595/580's sound seemed just too similar to the M50 (bassy and deeper) and the whole point of this purchase was to seperate from that, thus the Grado SR225. Do you guys think this is a smart choice? I plan on taking it out of my uDAC 2 like I said, do you think I should leave some money for a better DAC or maybe a dedicated amp? Or do you think I should take my money for something completely different?

I plan on (hopefully) trying one of the two, if not both, headphones out myself at Best Buy or Guitar Center. I've heard complaints of the Grado's discomfort/lack of bass/treble problems, but I've also heard that the Senns are too laid back and boring. I'd like to clear this up myself.

Also: Could the uDAC 2 drive the 595/580?

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 6
I would go for the Grados.  They seem to match what your looking for in a headphone, and will be a nice compliment to the ATs you currently have, not to mention they will sound fantastic out of the uDAC.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 6
But you would choose the 555 over the SR225? Kboe is really tempting me, when he says they complement the M50s well (which I have to agree, to my knowledge)

I don't want another bass-heavy "dark" headphone (not that I don't like that, I love it, but like I said thats what the M50 is)

Can anyone else comment on the SR225+uDAC 2? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back