Christian Rock
Apr 14, 2009 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
A wee disclaimer: To be classified as Christian rock, the band themselves must identify themselves as Christian rock. Sick of the mislabelling and that's a good way to differentiate.

Anyway, anyone else a fan of this sub-genre?

One of my favourite bands at the moment is

Deas Vail.

Wes Blaylock's voice = fantastic and what more, controlled falsetto, which is extremely hard to do even for the best trained singers.

(Falsetto 4 minutes in but the song is great too!)
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Their 'White Lights EP' is more balanced between instruments and voice and better mastering wise whilst their first full album 'All The Houses Look The Same' focuses a bit more on Wes' voice. Both albums =
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Bah, honestly, watch it in HD quality for justice to your ears. Bloody embeds.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 109
*sigh* I can't make myself like any of it... not that I've tried...

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 109
I don't want to create problems, but I *do* want to problematize this distinction. I think about many of the great pop and rock bands of the 70s, which were clearly inspired by the redemptive power of modern Christianity, and which actively witnessed their faith in music. What strikes me is that there are so many bands now that are doctrinaire in their bland capitulations to a variety of American Protestant creeds, but that are not that interesting to listen to. Musically they suffer. I can't say that they lack *vision* because they transparently proselytize *somebody's* vision of religious acquiescence. . . .

By contrast, I think about a song like "Sleepwalker" from The James Gang's Miami. These groups seemed to be responding to the premise that if "The City of God is at hand" it is likely here now.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only Christian Rock worthy of respect is the stuff from Neal Morse. One, Question Mark and Sola Scriptura are great.

Don't forget Testimony.
biggrin.gif
I'm a big NM fan...and of course Spock's Beard and connecting bands.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 109
For what it's worth, I've been enjoying Sanctus Real (especially their album Fight the Tide) and the Robbie Seay Band lately.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 109
Jars of Clay are a family favourite. U2 is my favourite band. I realize they break the rules here but they are clearly Christian inspired. Bruce Cockburn is another wonderful artist not strictly Christian but strongly influenced by his conversion to Christianity.

My wife loves all sorts of Christian Rock and Pop, stuff I've never heard of through Casting Crowns has this one song that we all really like - Life Song.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 109
many years ago I liked some of Petra's early albums, but what did I know, I was just a kid.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 109
chinesekiwi;5605755 said:
A wee disclaimer: To be classified as Christian rock, the band themselves must identify themselves as Christian rock. Sick of the mislabelling and that's a good way to differentiate.

Anyway, anyone else a fan of this sub-genre?

One of my favourite bands at the moment is

Deas Vail.

Wes Blaylock's voice = fantastic and what more, controlled falsetto, which is extremely hard to do even for the best trained singers.
QUOTE]

Really dig this. Anything else like it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back