• Gustard X-22

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • LKS Audio MH DA004

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Belgarathian

New Head-Fier
Hey team... Thinking about a DAC upgrade.

Will feed a Deckard amp via analogue input, upgrade will be a Schiit Audio Mjolnir (or Lyr 3 if I fail at saving) paired with Audeze LCD-X. Source is Tidal via USB for the most part.

Thoughts on Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit v Chord Qutest v Gustard X22 v LKS MH004 (the budget conscious side of me included these two wild cards)

Sadly auditioning the Schiit Audio, LSK MH004, & Gustard X22 is near impossible for me as I don't think anyone in NZ stocks either units, and certainly not in Christchurch.

Listen to all sorts of music, prefer a balanced and slightly warm presentation with great detail, stage, and rhythm. I want chills.

Your thoughts below would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: have narrowed down to a used Yggy or Qutest, both are roughly the same price.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Save a bit more and get a Yggdrasil.
The sound preferences should not be from the Dac it should be more from the amp and headphones IMO.

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Hey team... Thinking about a DAC upgrade.

Will feed a Deckard amp via analogue input, upgrade will be a Schiit Audio Mjolnir (or Lyr 3 if I fail at saving) paired with Audeze LCD-X. Source is Tidal via USB for the most part.

Thoughts on Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit v Chord Qutest v Gustard X22 (the budget conscious side of me included this wild card)

Sadly auditioning the Schiit Audio & Gustard X22 is near impossible for me as I don't think anyone in NZ stocks either units, and certainly not in Christchurch.

Listen to all sorts of music, prefer a balanced and slightly warm presentation with great detail, stage, and rhythm. I want chills.

Your thoughts below would be greatly appreciated.

Never heared the Gustard but I choose the Gumby over the Qutest (or 2Qute) anytime. Even with the HDVA600 they both sounded way too harsh for my ears. Besides, if you do buy the Mjolnir it would be a great stack :.)

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Never heared the Gustard but I choose the Gumby over the Qutest (or 2Qute) anytime. Even with the HDVA600 they both sounded way too harsh for my ears. Besides, if you do buy the Mjolnir it would be a great stack :.)

Yeah, the Gustard X22 and LKS MH004 are chinese wildcards that get rave reviews. The Gustard has a ES9038PRO and the LKS has 2x ES9038PRO in dual mono config.

Was the Gumby & Qutest auditioned out of the box, or worn in?

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Was the Gumby & Qutest auditioned out of the box, or worn in?
Except for the Gumby they were all worn in. I don't know what it is but the 2Qute and the Qutest gives a nasty treble spike (2 my ears) with the HDVA600 and HD800. Somehow, the Bifrost G5 sounds lifeless with this combo but the Gumby does everything just right. Again, to my ears.

What did surprise me is the Auralic. It hits harder than the HDVA600 but somehow the treble doesn't bother me.
The Qutest belongs to my brother and he loves it (Focal Elear). So it is all in the ear of the beholder :.b

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Except for the Gumby they were all worn in. I don't know what it is but the 2Qute and the Qutest gives a nasty treble spike (2 my ears) with the HDVA600 and HD800. Somehow, the Bifrost G5 sounds lifeless with this combo but the Gumby does everything just right. Again, to my ears.

What did surprise me is the Auralic. It hits harder than the HDVA600 but somehow the treble doesn't bother me.
The Qutest belongs to my brother and he loves it (Focal Elear). So it is all in the ear of the beholder :.b
Dude youre confusing people here. HD800 is trebly not Qutest or Other Dacs.
Gumby is unnaturally warm so you wont notice HD800 peaks as much, but it doesnt make Other dacs unnatural.

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 12
Dude youre confusing people here. HD800 is trebly not Qutest or Other Dacs.
Gumby is unnaturally warm so you wont notice HD800 peaks as much, but it doesnt make Other dacs unnatural.
Dude, I know about the HD800 and never said the other DACs were unnatural. I also said to my ears, twice, so don't put words in my mouth. And I don't find the Gumby unnaturally warm but since you are a Audio God, stating that as a fact, I humbly bow and worship you...

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 12

Save a bit more and get a Yggdrasil.
The sound preferences should not be from the Dac it should be more from the amp and headphones IMO.

So interesting update, someone has just offered me a Yggy for $2K (not sure what analogue or USB version), which is the same price as a new Chord Qutest $2.1k. I've listened to Chord, and I'm sort of on their FPGA hype-train, but I've never heard an Yggy before. Thoughts? Also, Qutest = Hugo 2 as far as DAC goes.

Reason for their upgrade is they've bought new Gryphon gear...

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 12
Depends on if the Yggy is with the Gen 5 Usb and Analog 2 upgrade.
Have not heard the Qutest so don’t know . Have heard a Dave on several occasions and just listened to the Hugo TT 2 but not from my gear so hard to judge . I only have one Chord product a Mojo so not fair to compare. I think they make fantastic equipment but still think I’ll stay with my Yggdrasil for now. I love my Yggy and technical detail and resolution would also have to do with the amp and headphones.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 12
I've only just understood what you mean, yeah in that case I agree. I like technical detail & resolution while still being fun.

In terms of technical measuremets such as linearity, THD + N, etc, Qutest would slay the Yggdrasil, but Yggdrasil should sound more fun though than Qutest.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 12
So interesting update, someone has just offered me a Yggy for $2K (not sure what analogue or USB version), which is the same price as a new Chord Qutest $2.1k. I've listened to Chord, and I'm sort of on their FPGA hype-train, but I've never heard an Yggy before. Thoughts? Also, Qutest = Hugo 2 as far as DAC goes.

Reason for their upgrade is they've bought new Gryphon gear...
Can't comment because I never heard the Yggy and I hope I "never" will because I can't affort one:.b I kinda burned my budget unwisely. No regrets tho because it did enable me (us) to hear a variety of products for a longer period of time :L3000:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back