Chord Mojo upgrade from Sony PHA-3
Sep 9, 2019 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jacksontran41

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I am currently using my Senn HD800 with Sony PHA-3, so far I do enjoy it. I’ve been wanting to buy something from Chord for a while due to their high reputation for extraordinary quality. Hugo 2 is somewhat overpriced for my budget right now, I am leaning more towards Mojo and Poly. The Mojo retails for half the price of the Sony PHA-3, so maybe it’s not wise to get it? Any recommendations from Mojo owners or both owners would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 9
I owned the pha3 for a while and really enjoyed it. Clean and detailed sound and honest/neutral sound.

I demoed the mojo thoroughly twice trying to enjoy it but as a dac/amp i found it a little too congested and not as open as the pha3.

However i did hear it as a dac with a schiit magni for an lcdx and that worked really well so perhaps it was the amp part that i found lacking.

I think the pha3 is a cracker

Also....
With the hd800 though i have found the alo continental dual mono comes up really well.
https://www.headphone.guru/the-alo-continental-dual-mono/

Just quietly i am selling mine but that is not the reason for this post. The reason i am selling it is it works well as a transportable but not a portable especially with an iphone that needs extra cables (ie cck)

All the best

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I do not think Mojo will be an adequate upgrade for your PHA-3. They are on same level for me and changing to Mojo basically is you're bored with current PHA-3 and you want something different.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 9

I do not think Mojo will be an adequate upgrade for your PHA-3. They are on same level for me and changing to Mojo basically is you're bored with current PHA-3 and you want something different.
and i assume you compared the balanced output on pha 3 right

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 9
and i assume you compared the balanced output on pha 3 right
My regular setup was single ended.

but i did once borrow a friends hd650 that was setup balanced for the pha3 and that sounded very good (almost wrote superb). Great clean open and detailed sound. I remember being impressed with that

not at all a dark tilted sound that i had previously heard from the hd650.

ps i have moved on from the pha3 to an alo cdm and in turn now onto a kann cube

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 9
My regular setup was single ended.

but i did once borrow a friends hd650 that was setup balanced for the pha3 and that sounded very good (almost wrote superb). Great clean open and detailed sound. I remember being impressed with that

not at all a dark tilted sound that i had previously heard from the hd650.

ps i have moved on from the pha3 to an alo cdm and in turn now onto a kann cube
i do owned pha 3 back in 2016, used it for few month. i do remember the dual 3.5mm give more controlled sound and dynamics, thicker mids representation. the normal 3.5 doesnt impress much. mojo for me cannot compare directly since different sounding. if talking just standard 3.5mm, mojo is a better choice

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 9
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 9
I love the sound of the Mojo, but you'll need to try it yourself to see if you like the WTA DAC :D Functionally, it's similar to the PHA-3, but only offers SE 3.5mm output. You can get a used Hugo for similar money, and that offers a decent step-up in terms of a more sophisticated implementation of the Chord approach to DACs, 1/4" out and a (slightly) more powerful amp. Quality-wise, the Chord units are great - cases are bombproof and stand up well to travel. Materials are high-quality and overall they look and feel expensive. The batteries last well and hold charge very well, but you will. need to carry a dedicated charger for a Hugo (Mojo will charge on USB) - the only niggle is the USB sockets, which need to be used gently to avoid damage - also on the Hugo, the USBs are recessed a bit, which can causes issues with some cables.

I've not used a PHA3, but I have used both the Mojo and the Hugo with HD800's - in both cases, the amps were working hard to drive the headphones, but I suppose the PHA-4 will be in the same boat - physics is physics.

There are a lot of Mojo's out there - probably worth buying/borrowing one to try it out - there's always a market for used Chord kit, so it's easy to move them on if you eventually decide it's not working for you.

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 9
I owned the pha3 for a while and really enjoyed it. Clean and detailed sound and honest/neutral sound.

I demoed the mojo thoroughly twice trying to enjoy it but as a dac/amp i found it a little too congested and not as open as the pha3.

However i did hear it as a dac with a schiit magni for an lcdx and that worked really well so perhaps it was the amp part that i found lacking.

I think the pha3 is a cracker

Also....
With the hd800 though i have found the alo continental dual mono comes up really well.
https://www.headphone.guru/the-alo-continental-dual-mono/

Just quietly i am selling mine but that is not the reason for this post. The reason i am selling it is it works well as a transportable but not a portable especially with an iphone that needs extra cables (ie cck)

All the best
I agree ! Pha3 is a better device than Mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back