Chord Mojo Modification ??
May 22, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 86
Thank you for the clarification and photos, this is a very interesting modification and i would be all over it except for the fact that i can't detect any SQ difference between these three scenarios:

1. Mojo with internal battery fully charged.
2. Mojo with internal battery removed and powered by 5V USB from iMac.
3. Mojo with internal battery removed and powered by external 5V battery pack.

I therefore use option #2 for desktop application and #3 on the go.
Sometimes ,something is broken, and for the life in you you can not find out why , never mind remedy it.
count yourself lucky!
if it works for you, ignore people like me suggesting it shouldn't ! - carry on, enjoy.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #17 of 86
I wonder why it takes FOUR batteries, two batteries gives you (max.) 8.4V when fully charged. They are rated at 3.7V nominal, 4.2V max. when charged.
As far as I know, even basic 18650 batteries have about 2500mAh capacity, so two fully charged batteries should be able to power up Mojo for up to 15 hours!!
Make sure the description is right before you order.
Incidentally, Rob Watts had wisely decided to charge the batteries to a max. of 8.2V and then stop, in order to increase the life span of the batteries.
Rechargable batteries do not like to be fully fully charged up, it shortens their life.
This device also seems to have some circuitry inside, if Yes, then charging the batteries using Mojo is out of the question.
May I suggest this one;
This is a simpler holder for two, smaller and flatter, and Mojo can then charge up the batteries using the standard USB charging port.
You can also strap it to Mojo and use it on the go too.

I think that one I linked can take 2 batteries as well but x4 18650 in configuration for max 8.4v.

I do like your one better, and I charge my 18650's with an external charger, my vaping device takes x3 18650.

Everything is now on-hold for me because I sold the Mojo without a battery and used those funds to get another that's complete with working original battery but I still might tinker with these thoughts down the road.

Thank you for the clarification and photos, this is a very interesting modification and i would be all over it except for the fact that i can't detect any SQ difference between these three scenarios:

1. Mojo with internal battery fully charged.
2. Mojo with internal battery removed and powered by 5V USB from iMac.
3. Mojo with internal battery removed and powered by external 5V battery pack.

I therefore use option #2 for desktop application and #3 on the go.

So you open up your Mojo and put the battery in when needed?

I think it sounds quite good running directly from 5v USB as well.

May 24, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 86
So you open up your Mojo and put the battery in when needed?

I think it sounds quite good running directly from 5v USB as well.
I do not. I use it mostly in desktop mode and if needed on the go i just use an external battery pack.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 86
I do use an external charger as my back up too. What's your experience using 5v USB?
Not sure if the question is addressed to me (and i don't want to beat a dead horse by repeating this again) but i use the 5V USB from my iMac 'sans battery' and (although using the Mojo's internal charging circuit as a power source is [in theory] a no-no due to unwanted noise) i cannot hear any SQ difference versus using the internal battery fully charged.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #21 of 86
Has anyone tried this adapter?

Attachments

• 2021-12-08_232616.jpg
    2021-12-08_232616.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #24 of 86
Charging LiPo's is a delicate procedure, voltage, current, temperature are to be monitored and adjusted in real time.
Mojo has a tried and tested charger circuit built in, that works very efficiently and reliably.
As to why you wish to bypass this is not clear.
If , however, you wish to remove the battery, and use it as a desktop DAC, then I draw your attention to arguments above for and against the idea.
If no battery, at least replace it with as large a capacitor as you can, Mojo is happy with 7V to 8.4V max. At full charge, Mojo is at 8.2V (cut out voltage according to Rob Watts).
Check the output voltage of the charger with a reliable voltmeter, if it is indeed at 8.4V, with some capacitor instead of the battery, I don't see much issue, unless the charger used is exceptionally noisy.
If you want to keep the battery, trust Mojo, and use the USB, let Mojo take care of its self.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #29 of 86
5.4V 5.0F OK?
NO!
Supercapacitors are very voltage sensitive, you shouldn't try to cheat them - 9V 10V is what you need.
However price goes up according to voltage so does size.
There is a post above and a simple circuit to use 5.4V caps in series.
That post is about getting the caps in the right size, voltage to fit the battery compartment, so you could close the top back on.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #30 of 86
NO!
Supercapacitors are very voltage sensitive, you shouldn't try to cheat them - 9V 10V is what you need.
However price goes up according to voltage so does size.
There is a post above and a simple circuit to use 5.4V caps in series.
That post is about getting the caps in the right size, voltage to fit the battery compartment, so you could close the top back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back