Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #42,556 of 42,765
I got a pretty cheap 5.1 Bluetooth receiver for my Mojo, LDAC signal of this 5.1 BT is okay, no choppy signal so far. The mojo battery can be replaced pretty easily too, after 3 years of usage the original battery when fully charged only lasted 2 hours so I bought a 3000mah replacement for $17, looking for many more years of use out of this little dac/amp

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #42,557 of 42,765
I got a pretty cheap 5.1 Bluetooth receiver for my Mojo, LDAC signal of this 5.1 BT is okay, no choppy signal so far. The mojo battery can be replaced pretty easily too, after 3 years of usage the original battery when fully charged only lasted 2 hours so I bought a 3000mah replacement for $17, looking for many more years of use out of this little dac/amp
If a true 3000mAh battery could fit inside the Mojo, Then Chord would have done it.
Beware of those powerful cheap batteries ! if it is hard to to believe . . . . then don't !

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #42,558 of 42,765
Has anyone who carried out the battery disconnection to make Mojo a desktop unit noticed a noise when the Mojo isn't playing music?

As soon as I pause or stop music it starts making a loud sort of whirring 'loading' noise. I'm using a USB A phone charger to power the Mojo from the mains.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #42,559 of 42,765
Has anyone who carried out the battery disconnection to make Mojo a desktop unit noticed a noise when the Mojo isn't playing music?

As soon as I pause or stop music it starts making a loud sort of whirring 'loading' noise. I'm using a USB A phone charger to power the Mojo from the mains.
There is a small inductor underneath the board that mainly causes that noise. Choose a better quality wall charger or a powerbank instead, the noise either gets reduced or goes away.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #42,560 of 42,765
Thanks, is there an ideal PSU to look for?

I tried the powerbank out of curiosity and the noise was as loud as the generic phone charger/USB cable. I then tried the charger I use for the powerbank, a 5v 2000 mA wall socket to micro USB which was a little quieter.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #42,561 of 42,765
I use a powerbank and get zero noise when music is paused.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #42,562 of 42,765

I tried the powerbank out of curiosity and the noise was as loud as the generic phone charger/USB cable. I then tried the charger I use for the powerbank, a 5v 2000 mA wall socket to micro USB which was a little quieter.
Look here:
1611608408073.png

This is the underside of the board, the item marked in red, is the culprit (Pretty sure).
When in situ , it is a few millimetres above the metal casing.
Get a Thermal pad of 3 or 4mm thickness, of about 20mm x 20mm - gently place it on the inductor, with a little pressure.
Reassemble the board. The pad gets squeezed on the inductor and surrounding area.
It will do two jobs! one is, it will quieten the part, two, it will pass the heat from it (yes it gets hot) to the casing, aids cooling.
All the above, is assuming you feel confident opening the device, if not, DON'T! live with it.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #42,564 of 42,765

The best one I’ve used is the Apple charger for iPad and the power supply for the chord Qutest. Dead quiet

Dec 18, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #42,565 of 42,765
The best one I’ve used is the Apple charger for iPad and the power supply for the chord Qutest. Dead quiet
I remember that the Mojo uses a 7.4V battery, so if we remove the internal battery and use an external wall charger with 5V, does it work well?

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #42,566 of 42,765
I dug out a gym bag full of old power and audio cables and found a combination of wall socket and USB cable that eliminates the noise most of the time. When I first power up the Mojo it makes the noise but once I start playing I can pause/stop and it's ok. I found if I unintentionally wiggle the cable it starts making the noise for a short while so is quite delicate whatever is causing it.

I also noticed that leaving the Mojo plugged in to power but switched off, it still gets warm overnight, so it's best to completely switch off the USB charger/PSU or disconnect it from the Mojo after use. I use a Topping HS01 with the Mojo, which also runs warm so have the PSU for both plugged into an extension lead which I switch off everynight.
I use an anker powerpack with my mojo (original) - i removed the battery, zero noise and lasts for hours and hours before it needs recharging.

d
My Anker powerbank causes the noise, good that it works for you but for me defeats the purpose of disconnecting the Mojo battery to make it a purely desktop unit. I'd rather just use the internal battery and when it gets low plug it back in.
I guess you mean both of these work independently, I watched an unboxing video and the Qutest micro USB already has a plug attached.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #42,568 of 42,765
I dug out a gym bag full of old power and audio cables and found a combination of wall socket and USB cable that eliminates the noise most of the time. When I first power up the Mojo it makes the noise but once I start playing I can pause/stop and it's ok. I found if I unintentionally wiggle the cable it starts making the noise for a short while so is quite delicate whatever is causing it.

I also noticed that leaving the Mojo plugged in to power but switched off, it still gets warm overnight, so it's best to completely switch off the USB charger/PSU or disconnect it from the Mojo after use. I use a Topping HS01 with the Mojo, which also runs warm so have the PSU for both plugged into an extension lead which I switch off everynight.

My Anker powerbank causes the noise, good that it works for you but for me defeats the purpose of disconnecting the Mojo battery to make it a purely desktop unit. I'd rather just use the internal battery and when it gets low plug it back in.

I guess you mean both of these work independently, I watched an unboxing video and the Qutest micro USB already has a plug attached.
If you remove the battery, Mojo thinks the battery is not charged! so the charging circuit keeps going.
simple!

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #42,569 of 42,765
I remember that the Mojo uses a 7.4V battery, so if we remove the internal battery and use an external wall charger with 5V, does it work well?
Yes, i compared both options extensively and could not detect any SQ differences.

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #42,570 of 42,765
I use an anker powerpack with my mojo (original) - i removed the battery, zero noise and lasts for hours and hours before it needs recharging.

d
That describes exactly my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back